1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Early Xmas present?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by fergus, Dec 18, 2008.

1. fergus

fergus Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I like getting my hopes up, me. Here's the introduction to a NEJM article just published.

Looks as if there are significant advances being made now. We live in hope, eh?

All the best,

fergus

2. seabill

seabill · Active Member

Hi Fergus

Thanks for this update.

I just posted on the main forum, just in case
    it has been missed.

$40 million has been pledged to the University of Minnesota
    by the Richard M. Schulze Family Foundation.

Goal, to find a cure for type 1 in 5 years.

Seabill

3. caitycakes1

caitycakes1 · Well-Known Member

I try not to get my hopes up for a cure but it's difficult not to be excited by each step closer to it. It would be marvelous if they managed a cure within five years. My god, to think we could be free of this weight around our necks is fantastic. I often remember how carefree and uncomplicated my life was before dx (and that was only 5 months ago). If I get cured of this I will NEVER take anything for granted again. Still wouldn't go back to high carb though!! :wink:

Caitycakes x

4. lilibet

lilibet · Well-Known Member

Im with you caity

If they find a cure I promise I will be good!!

Although just 'getting on with it', everytime I read something like that it makes me realise just how much I really really really really would like not to have diabetes. After that, the sadness kicks in...............

5. AndyS

AndyS Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If they do get this sorted. The first thing I'm going to do is go and have a pizza and a few beers :p

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook