Eat, Fast and Live Longer

Fraddycat

Don't beat yourself up Viv, we're challenged everyday by living our lives alongside this disease. Do what works for you, when you are ready! Best of luck Jane x

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am reading all this with interest. I am having half-day fasts now, but wont attempt the full thing until I have finished house-buying.

I hope everyone keeps posting cos its very interesting and helpful - thanks guys :thumbup:

Defren

viviennem said:
Well done. Defren. I'm afraid my 'good intentions' haven't turned into fact yet - I'll have a go at a fast day on Tuesday. I've got so much going on at the moment that my mind isn't on it, I'm afraid.

Excuses, excuses . . . :wink:

Viv 8)

Hey, stop it Viv. This is not cast in stone, we do things when we feel ready. I am here when you are ready to start, we said support buddies, that means support through good and bad - right. Chin up and stop saying sorry. (((Viv)))

Joanna xx

Defren

lucylocket61 said:
I am reading all this with interest. I am having half-day fasts now, but wont attempt the full thing until I have finished house-buying.

I hope everyone keeps posting cos its very interesting and helpful - thanks guys :thumbup:

Ooo another one house moving. We are just looking at the moment as we have quite specific idea's of what we want. It's 'orrible isn't it?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Thanks for your kind thoughts, Fraddycat and Defren - much appreciated! :D

One of the reasons I was going to try the 5:2 was that my next HbA1c is in 10 days (20th) and I was intending to be super-good to try to swing the figures for the last month! But who am I cheating if I do that? - only myself! Much better to carry on for the moment and face the truth :shock: .

Part of my problem at the moment is that no matter what I eat I'm almost always in the 5s 2 hours later, and often in the 4s. Even after an apricot and a nectarine yesterday, I was 4.8. My highest recently was 6.2, 2 hours after TWO Pink Lady apples! I am naturally very pleased with these readings, but I do find that I have eased off; I am not being as strict with myself as I should be. I'm not losing weight, either. Maybe I should ask my GP to reduce me to 2 Metformin daily to make things more difficult and help me focus my mind a little.

On a brighter note, I've had a very fortunate week since last Monday. First, I treated myself to a couple of pieces of Dexter fillet steak (I paid for that); then a friend gave me a leg of Herdwick lamb (in the freezer); and yesterday my neighbour, who picks up for one of our local shoots, gave me two partridge breasts and a grouse breast (waiting to be marinaded for a casserole). Food for free! It's a hard life, up here in the Dales :D .

Viv 8)

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I strongly believe that fasting is beneficial to good health. The year 2005 was a bad one for me healthwise, it was when following years of badly controlled diabetes things finally came to a head, I suffered - apart from other complications - electrolyte imbalance, kidney function deteriorated stage 3 - 4, I was on temporary dialysis and spent 8 days in the ICU.

A naturopath friend and doctor urged to really cut out carbs as much as possible, helped me to devise a eating plan to keep protein, calcium and potassium intake low, I needed to do this at the time. He also advised to do a 24 hour fast twice a week.
My hospital consultants were horrified, they told my husband that nobody in my condition should be doing any fasting, apparently its only for healthy, cranky people and Yogis!!

At the time I was fed up to the hilt with doctors conventional advice, for years I asked for help to lower my bg levels, bp and cholesterol, I was prescribed medication, Metformin, Avandia (!!) and Gliclazide, maximum doses, 4 different bp meds, one of them was Irbesartan which raised potassium to danger level, Furosemide, antiemetics, Omeprazole, sleeping pills and anti-depressants, nothing worked to help me feel healthy, the opposite in fact.

I had nothing to lose, I tried the naturopath approach, I cut the carbs immediately, surprise, surprise my bg levels dropped almost instantly, within a week I showed single figures, I was eating sparsely, still in hospital, it was difficult to dodge the carbs, I wanted the fasting day, so had to pretend that I was off my food, when really I was quite hungry, liquids still restricted, I fasted two days, somehow I felt confident, empowered doing so, the consultant smiled said kidney function is improving.

Medication was reviewed, Metformin taken off me, it caused lactic acidosis, mustnt be taken by people with reduced kidney function, so only Gliclazide and Avandia, maximum dose, bp meds changed but not reduced, still on diuretics, Omeprazole and antiemetics but stopped sleeping pills and antidepressants.

At home I started low carb with a vengeance, my ever so supportive husband joined me fasting every Friday and Saturday, a vegetable broth fast, drinking home made ginger and lemon tea.
Kidney function improved to level 3A, remained stable at this level for 2 years, I continued with the new regime, still fasting but only one 24hr period a week.

My health continued to improve, over the years I have been able to reduce and finally do away with all prescribed medication, every single one of them (<<under medical supervision!!)
Best of all, much to the amazement of my nephrologist, kidney function is at level 2 and stable, whether it can improve any further or not, I have no idea, but I am convinced that the fasting has helped, I still do a 24hr fast every week, it helps me clear the mind and makes me feel fresher.

@WhitbyJet

Thank you for your informative post. Today I found Michael Mosely's
video. It makes so much sense. I do intermittent fasting now and I'm making great strides in repairing my health.. Thanks for your commentary. It solidifies what we T2DMs should all be doing..

@lisasimpkins53 Lisa I've included you here as it may be beneficial to watch this video..
LBB

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
When I saw the thread title I thought it said "eat fast and live longer"!
My old neighbour as a child told me to eat faster, that where I was going wrong!
Not much different advice now.
Now fast. That's where your going wrong.

What next?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't read much of this but sometimes I would do a fat fast to switch things on and off

Things like egg yolk and mayo, avocado, lc veggies and mayobased dip ( mostly the dip) and it would take the edge off. Something like Atkins recommends when things stall. Sorry if it has no meaning to this thread.

@ickihun i always jammed food fast. Lol. Ate so fast not sure chewing was required. Over the last year I have slowed it down a lot, chew and actually taste my food!! What a concept!!

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I haven't read much of this but sometimes I would do a fat fast to switch things on and off

Things like egg yolk and mayo, avocado, lc veggies and mayobased dip ( mostly the dip) and it would take the edge off. Something like Atkins recommends when things stall. Sorry if it has no meaning to this thread.

@ickihun i always jammed food fast. Lol. Ate so fast not sure chewing was required. Over the last year I have slowed it down a lot, chew and actually taste my food!! What a concept!!
Ive always eaten slowly. We wouldnt have got away with fast eating in my house. The boy in question was very very active and thin. He ment well.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just watched this film via this link ...
Very interesting. I think all diabetics should watch it. It shows the benefits of fasting ... lowering cholesterol, lowering blood sugars, reducing the ageing process and rejuvenating brain cells to prevent alzheimers.

Michael Mosley ended up trialling a 5:2 fast and appears to have adopted in in his own lifestyle and now promotes in on his bloodsugardiet website. See https://thebloodsugardiet.com/the-52-bsd/

I have been doing intermittent fasting for a few weeks now, mostly as a result of watching videos by Jason Fung about how it can help reverse type 2 diabetes. There is a section on dietdoctor about intermittent fasting. See https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you seen any good effects?

As a type 1 now I cannot fast but I can do a fat fast. So that's my version lol.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I saw the thread title I thought it said "eat fast and live longer"!
My old neighbour as a child told me to eat faster, that where I was going wrong!
Not much different advice now.
Now fast. That's where your going wrong.

What next?

@ickihun

I found this link to Professor Valter Longo

https://news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/

All I know is I am going to have a fast day today and eat normally tomorrow.. I'm going to go for a long slow bike ride too

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I nebr lost weight fasting. Seems my ticket is more fat and less protein in conjunction with low carb and removing food intolerances.

Exercise never did anything either. Well maybe walking. And yoga did help muscle tone but strenuous exercise did nada

D

Deleted member 388305

I fell off the wagon for about a year and a half. On February 23rd (2017) I got back on my low carb dieting and after a few days, began intermittent fasting. I did it by using my 8-hour eating window for breakfast and lunch, then nothing else until breakfast. I have done this 4 or 5 days per week since then, eating about 2000 calories per day. On days I don't fast, I still eat low-carb. My A1c test at my doctor's visit on February 22nd was 7.5, which I believe translates into an average glucose of 9.4 the way its measured everywhere but the US :). After one month, I purchased a home A1c kit and tested. The A1c was now down to 6.3 or an average blood sugar off 7.5. Since the test covers a three month period, I was quite thrilled with those results. My weight has dropped 12 lbs. over the same period. At the end of the 2nd month, I will do the A1c test again and see where I am. I have another doctor visit at the end of the third month. My fasting blood sugars now range from 5.4 to 4.4. I have gotten my A1c down to 6% in the past, but never a truly normal reading. I am hoping that the intermittent fasting will get me there.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow it is great to see a 4yr old thread comes back onine :D

This more recent interview of Dr Valter Longo provides a good update and insight to the benefits of fasting cycles vs long term calorie restrictions.