Eat vegetables

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Humans evolved as omnivores i.e with the biological ability to eat and gain adequate nutrition from a whole range of food sources / types depending on what was available, although I wouldnt personally include genetically / chemically adulterated or modified foods in that analysis.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnivore
I find all dietery approaches that say “ just eat x in order to be healthy“ and which thereby exclude whole food groups to be equally mad - whether x be meat, grapefruits, vegetables, bananas or chemical sludge. Restricting food groups for ethical reasons is different and usually comes with some health challenges that require more planning to ensure sound overall nutrition. Similarly the range of foods eaten within a particular category may be constrained by health conditions ( as with higher carb fruits and vegetables for diabetics) but that doesnt mean excluding an entire food group
Amen.

Look, I love food. All food. There is not a food I don't like. I get that I am diabetic and have to readjust my balance of foods, but there's not a chance in hell that I'm going to cut out something I enjoy completely for some notional belief that I won't drop dead tomorrow because of it.
I eat all food groups, including more complex carbohydrates (much reduced sugars admittedly) and avoid supplements like the plague. With this small adjustment, I have gone from an HbA1C of 152 to 40 in the space of 3 months. Admittedly, this is with the help of insulin during what may be a T1 honeymoon, but my FBG levels have never gone above 9, are generally 5.x and have only once mildly dipped under 4. I don't find the need to religiously avoid carbs. To be honest, if a parsnip or carrot did want to kill me, then I'd rather it did and I enjoyed the taste of it doing so.

Last edited:

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I wouldnt feed my dog chemicals, let alone myself... so would not eat skins myself either... (not even if I was allowed to eat them).

Glad to be weird... better to be different...
You are free in what you want but please do not hurt anyone

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cant really agree with that... because of all the chemical sprays and fertilsers...

I love butternut squash skins roasted and so does my dog but unless I have grown them myself I could not use.

Same with things like lemons... why do they wax them? What zest goes in to processed lemon cakes etc...??

We love courgette. Last year due to shortages organic ones were rare sometimes. When the non organic ones were skinned we could see darker green blobs in masses inside...never seen that on organic ones...

I cant eat skins anyway but although my dog loves them, I couldnt even give them to her unless they are organic ones.
You could always wash fruit and vegetables, the wax on lemons is removed with hot water. My dog eats the most disgusting things, I think insisting on organic vegetables would be OTT.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
What this thread proves is that we are all individuals with different opinions, needs and personal preferences. I am enjoying my food now on LCHF and feel less and less that I am restricted in my diet. I am lucky in that I do not have a bowel condition or food intolerances so my choices are wider than others, I enjoy veggies and most of them show no spikes in my bg so it is meat and three veg for me all the way!

Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday Roast today and if you are not having a roast dinner then I hope you enjoy your alternative.
Stay well, folks.

lindisfel

Expert
The Inuit managed quite well on seals and fish until they poisoned themselves with modern carbs and processed food.
They ensured the Polar Bears had a balance diet as well with the occasional Grandma! -; D.
Humans evolved as omnivores i.e with the biological ability to eat and gain adequate nutrition from a whole range of food sources / types depending on what was available, although I wouldnt personally include genetically / chemically adulterated or modified foods in that analysis.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnivore
I find all dietery approaches that say “ just eat x in order to be healthy“ and which thereby exclude whole food groups to be equally mad - whether x be meat, grapefruits, vegetables, bananas or chemical sludge. Restricting food groups for ethical reasons is different and usually comes with some health challenges that require more planning to ensure sound overall nutrition. Similarly the range of foods eaten within a particular category may be constrained by health conditions ( as with higher carb fruits and vegetables for diabetics) but that doesnt mean excluding an entire food group

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Good evening wherever you are From Morocco

There is no doubt that eating vegetables is very important, but I wonder which method is better cooked or otherwise
Raw can interfer with thyroid if you have thyroid issues.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have read that eating vegetables with their skin is very important for diabetics

Because the crust is the substance of the fiber

Very important for glucose uptake process
Glucose uptake... I dont need.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
can I have a link to info about raw food and thyroid please? I need to do some reading round before going to the doctor
NHS don't recognise thyroid intricacies. Just blood tests.
All dieticians dont know about how raw veg affects thyroid.
Ive read quite a few books now I can list some if you want to read them. Ive had too. GPs not versed on thyroid health just meds or endo to blood check for endo conditions..... Ps I'm losing weight again Yippee!
Join a good thyroid forum via fb? The nhs one called unlocked health is ok, some days.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
By Dr. Mercola

Public health guidelines from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) advise Americans to eat between 20 and 30 grams of fiber a day, but most adults don't even eat half that much.

This isn't surprising, since fiber refers to the indigestible portion of plant foods, and in the largely refined standard American diet, healthful fibers are often processed right out.

Unless you regularly eat whole fruits and vegetables, nuts, and seeds, you may be missing out on the healthiest forms of fiber available – and that could be a problem. That said, in spite of their fiber content, bulking up your diet with bran muffins and cereal is typically a big mistake, which I'll explain shortly.

Why Is Fiber So Important?

I've long been interested in the health benefits of fiber. In fact, when I was in medical school 33 years ago, I was so convinced of fiber's many benefits that my nickname was Dr. Fiber.

I've since come to appreciate that the type of fiber in your diet, as well as your gut health, play a major role in harnessing fiber's health potential while avoiding its potential pitfalls. Before I explain, let's go over a bit of fiber basics…

It is actually because your body can't digest fiber that it plays such an important part in digestion. Soluble fiber, like that found in cucumbers, blueberries, beans, and nuts, dissolves into a gel-like texture, helping to slow down your digestion. This helps you to feel full longer and is one reason why fiber may help with weight control.

Insoluble fiber, found in foods like dark green leafy vegetables, green beans, celery, and carrots, does not dissolve at all and helps add bulk to your stool. This helps food to move through your digestive tract more quickly for healthy elimination. Many whole foods, especially fruits and vegetables, naturally contain both soluble and insoluble fiber.

9 Health Benefits of Fiber

There's no shortage of research showing how fiber may boost your health. Some of its top potential benefits include:

Blood sugar control: Soluble fiber may help to slow your body's breakdown of carbohydrates and the absorption of sugar, helping with blood sugar control.Heart health: An inverse association has been found between fiber intake and heart attack, and research shows that those eating a high-fiber diet have a 40 percent lower risk of heart disease.1Stroke: Researchers have found that for every seven-grams more fiber you consume on a daily basis, your stroke risk is decreased by 7 percent.2Weight loss and management: Fiber supplements have been shown to enhance weight loss among obese people,3 likely because fiber increases feelings of fullness.Skin health: Fiber, particularly psyllium husk, may help move yeast and fungus out of your body, preventing them from being excreted through your skin where they could trigger acne or rashes.4Diverticulitis: Dietary fiber (especially insoluble) may reduce your risk of diverticulitis – an inflammation of polyps in your intestine – by 40 percent.5Hemorrhoids: A high-fiber diet may lower your risk of hemorrhoids.Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS): Fiber may provide some relief from IBS.Gallstones and kidney stones: A high-fiber diet may reduce the risk of gallstones and kidney stones, likely because of its ability to help regulate blood sugar.

Source https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/11/25/9-fiber-health-benefits.aspx

Last edited:

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Blood sugar control: Soluble fiber may help to slow your body's breakdown of carbohydrates and the absorption of sugar, helping with blood sugar control.Heart health: An inverse association has been found between fiber intake and heart attack, and research shows that those eating a high-fiber diet have a 40 percent lower risk of heart disease.1Stroke: Researchers have found that for every seven-grams more fiber you consume on a daily basis, your stroke risk is decreased by 7 percent.2Weight loss and management: Fiber supplements have been shown to enhance weight loss among obese people,3 likely because fiber increases feelings of fullness.Skin health: Fiber, particularly psyllium husk, may help move yeast and fungus out of your body, preventing them from being excreted through your skin where they could trigger acne or rashes.4Diverticulitis: Dietary fiber (especially insoluble) may reduce your risk of diverticulitis – an inflammation of polyps in your intestine – by 40 percent.5Hemorrhoids: A high-fiber diet may lower your risk of hemorrhoids.Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS): Fiber may provide some relief from IBS.Gallstones and kidney stones: A high-fiber diet may reduce the risk of gallstones and kidney stones, likely because of its ability to help regulate blood sugar.
\
Despite not eating much fibre (practiaclly none) in the last 3 years, my blood gluocse levels are normal, I have no skin issues (no acne or rashes, no diverticulitis, no hemmeroids, no IBS, no gallstones or kidney stones. I think fibre may be important for someone on the standard westrern diet with lots of sugar, flour, and ultraprocessed foods, but not so important for someone on a diet without any sugar, flour or ultraprocessed foods.