Electric shock like pain

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Hi,
Ever since last year l have been getting an electic shock like pain in my thigh- it only occurs every once in a while but not very nice at all. After looking on the internet it seems to be associated to the nervous system and may be linked to diabetes? Has anyone had anything similar or can anyone shed any light on this for me? Thanks all x

bob hayes

:D Hi I get pains like this in various places. Very difficult to explain to people around you,why you suddenly jump like a scalded cat. :shock: I am under the impression that it is diabetc neuropathy, I also have a lot of pain in my feet.

Bob

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Claridge.
As you know we don't diagnose, so speaking from my own personal experience from some years back when I wasn't a Diabetic and had this condition I suggest you take a look at this explanation from The Neuropathy Trust website.
http://neurocentre.com/community/?p=16

Extract:
The symptoms of peripheral neuropathy often affect the arms and legs. Common characteristics, depending on the type of neuropathy may include muscle weakness, chronic neuropathic pain (including – numbness, sensory disturbance, pins & needles, burning sensations etc.), and paralysis.

Then again there are many other things it could be ? Not all related to Diabetes.

I would suggest you discuss this with your GP for a proper investigation and diagnosis.

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Is this something l should be worried about? Getting myself stupidly upset here.... l suppose its just another thing....

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Claridge.

Worrying is not what you should do, Get it checked out.

I no longer have any symptoms after treatment and keeping tight control of Bg levels. Been about 13 years since I last had any problems.

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The pain I used to get like that was in my toes - mainly my big ones - like someone sticking needles in! Ow.

Interestingly, along with the restless legs, the burning feet and a host of other things, that went too after I dumped gluten foods and went low-carb.

I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it that I haven't had that in all that time - there's another one to add to my long list of 'things that have gone away on the low-carb diet'.........

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
I was diagnosed in Feb with Diabetes and this started l think aug/spt of last year- l am a low carber already, exercise a lot and my BS is always within normal range- the most it goes up to is 8 or so when l do certain exercise. So lm a big confused....

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi Claridge.

There is nothing to be confused about. Neuropathy is a condition all by itself.

Anybody can suffer from it. It is not always Diabetes related, mine wasn't. It was just nerve pain. If you re-read the link I posted it is clearly explained. It CAN be related because of poor control, but that is not a given.

Get it checked out.

fonzo

I was diagnosed in Feb with Diabetes and this started l think aug/spt of last year- l am a low carber already, exercise a lot and my BS is always within normal range- the most it goes up to is 8 or so when l do certain exercise. So lm a big confused....

You probably need some B vitamins see

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10796&sid=a83f50f24ee15723002247fad6edab07

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9454

Soundgen

I was diagnosed by my GP as having Ulnar neuropathy needing surgery( pins and needles in my left arm and two small fingers } tendonitus in my right foot ( shooting electric pains but no swelling ) pins and needles in my left foot ( leftover from shingles ) ALL have reversed with B1 B12 and B6 supplements , Dibetic neuropathy is supposed to take place bilaterally you don't get it unevenly I DID !