email to my friend about Weight Loss

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I thought the OP was good despite others thinking otherwise. Yes, we don't know the recipient and more use of white space and headings would help digest it. I agree almost completely with the content and I don't agree that you always need references. In my profession (IT/Electronics) you are allowed to accumulate knowledge and re-gurgitate it to others without refences if they trust you as an intelligent person who can absorb knowledge from valid places and filter it appropriately. You may or may not trust the OP to have done that but in this case I do.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I stated if I received a such lengthy Email I would most probably not read it in that form I was not speaking for any one else if David was happy with it and read it OK fine however I if emailing such a large amount of information would try and not make it too much it an information overload.

I was not being critical of the op just stating my personal preference.

You will note my user name is me my friend was Dennis there is no such thing as anonymity any more in the real world or the cyber world I have come to accept that.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have read the OP and everyone's comments. Something very similar happened to me in 2016.

I was diagnosed in 2012 and in 2016 someone to whom I am eternally grateful for gave me a heap of information about low carb and diabetes. I was not in a good place after 4 years injecting insulin - I was in despair with roller coaster blood sugars and an increasingly numb foot which was edging towards high risk. High risk of what - I was too scared to ask but I knew it wasn't good.

The moment I started reading the info I knew it was the way forward and it led eventually to me finding this site and coming off the insulin. I now have a very low risk foot with no numbness. I still get info from time to time from my friend.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What propaganda?

propaganda
/prɒpəˈɡandə/
Learn to pronounce
noun
  1. 1.
    information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote a political cause or point of view.
    "he was charged with distributing enemy propaganda"
Low carbing, of varying degrees and types, works for many type 2 diabetic on here.
Biased information to promote a point of view. Propaganda. And remember you introduced the term low carb into this discussion not me.;)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
please explain your propaganda comment as I for one don’t follow your train of thought.
I have no need to explain why I asked a question. You, if you choose, only need to answer it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no reason to think he would object since all I have done (until being attacked for it) was to copy the email - though I must admit that I did correct a few spelling mistakes, otherwise it is totally unedited. So I suppose that in deliberately avoiding any background information I have put myself into a no-win position so far as this forum is concerned.

Either I am revealing too much about him - this would be said regardless of whether I had his permission or not.
Or I am the patronising, condescending, rude, arrogant, tactless person that people already think.

I can reveal that he is not diabetic - so is unlikely to visit this forum.

Why do I leave his name in? - I think it shows more authenticity (and hardly identifies him to you guys) than if I left it out.
Why am I not anonymous (I even list my home town and my age) and use exactly the same userid in all the forums (Diabetes, Financial and others), of which I'm a member? - Because again this (to my way of thinking) demonstrates my willingness to be open and honest. Plus I'm unimaginative and not a social person, so I never had a non-4 letter nickname and feel comfortable being me!

I have not been a member long enough to notice any change - so have no view as to whether it is becoming a platform for propaganda.

I've been a bit stunned and to be honest very disappointed in some of the adverse reactions to your mail Ian..

Such a shame that the dissemination of helpful information should be called out as rude and patronising as well as "propaganda".

Some members should maybe take a long hard look at their own interactions with friends before pointing out the "faults" of others.
Motes and beams spring to mind?

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been a bit stunned and to be honest very disappointed in some of the adverse reactions to your mail Ian..

Such a shame that the dissemination of helpful information should be called out as rude and patronising as well as "propaganda".

Some members should maybe take a long hard look at their own interactions with friends before pointing out the "faults" of others.
Motes and beams spring to mind?
I felt exactly the same but wasn't brave enough to say so. Have bookmarked @ianf0ster original post because I feel that it has got so much good info in it.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I thought the OP was good despite others thinking otherwise. Yes, we don't know the recipient and more use of white space and headings would help digest it. I agree almost completely with the content and I don't agree that you always need references. In my profession (IT/Electronics) you are allowed to accumulate knowledge and re-gurgitate it to others without refences if they trust you as an intelligent person who can absorb knowledge from valid places and filter it appropriately. You may or may not trust the OP to have done that but in this case I do.

Not sure your comparison with IT is a good one, if someone is talking about health so specifically and things that may affect it then references are essential. No references with your IT/Electronics won't make someone ill who follows it without question.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok I’ll rephrase. I wasn’t asking why you asked the question. I was asking why you think the forum is a platform for propaganda?
I don’t think. I know. I’ve been here long enough to see this forum be steered to its present location.
It’s been done very cleverly and the right candidates have been recruited in recent years.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t think. I know. I’ve been here long enough to see this forum be steered to its present location.
It’s been done very cleverly and the right candidates have been recruited in recent years.

Eh? Blimey @therower you make it sound like some sort of MI5 going on here.

Let's not get all us and them here, please.

Reactions: lucylocket61

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eh? Blimey @therower you make it sound like some sort of MI5 going on here.

Let's not get all us and them here, please.
Most definitely not trying to start an us and them debate.
Just saying what I believe to be true with what I see on the forum and information gleaned away from it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
with what I see on the forum

Loads of T2's putting their condition into remission with low carb you mean.. Great isn't it!

And many T1's using low carb to reduce their insulin use and hypos too.. what a great place for sharing info eh?

Reactions: lucylocket61

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Loads of T2's putting their condition into remission with low carb you mean.. Great isn't it!

And many T1's using low carb to reduce their insulin use and hypos too.. what a great place for sharing info eh?
I have no problem with the dietary routes people choose to follow and agree that some diets work better than others. Sadly the forum is focused in one direction. Your good self proves this point. Alternatives are not welcome. Yeah I know you’ll say we welcome everyone with open arms but we both know the truth. Mention anything you don’t agree with and wait for all the reports, studies and YouTube presentations to prove your views and opinions.
And I can’t understand why you feel the need to bring low carb into the debate unless it’s your own form of propaganda.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And I can’t understand why you feel the need to bring low carb into the debate

Possibly because I consider it saved my eyesight, feet and probably life?

Edit to add... for which I shall be forever grateful to this forum and its members who pointed me in that particular direction.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Possibly because I consider it saved my eyesight, feet and probably life?

Edit to add... for which I shall be forever grateful to this forum and its members who pointed me in that particular direction.
I’m pleased for you. It doesn’t change the fact though that this forum is far to one dimensional for a lot of diabetics who are looking for help and advice. And has intentionally let itself become what it is.

Edited by mod for clarity

Last edited by a moderator:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly the forum is focused in one direction

Probably because it seems to work better than other directions!

Although you accuse others of bringing up low carb I can only assume your veiled assertions relate to the predominance of low carb people in here. Every time alternatives are asked about there is little support for effectiveness. Yes there are exceptions but broadly speaking It’s the best tool anyone seems to have come up with so far.

So quite frankly I don’t understand your issue, nor the assertion that it’s deliberate Policy to exclude other views.

What’s missing in your opinion?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ladies and gents, this thread has moved a long way from the original post. Back on track please.

Subsidiary topics may be discussed on other threads or in PM. Any off-topic posts will be removed.

Thank you.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The email is comprehensive. And of course it would need to be. However as some have alluded to, it highlights how complex the dietary solution to T2 diabetes is. It is not surprising that some people stick to metformin or carry on regardless with their higher carb diets. And also not surprising that GPs might not get involved in recommending it, for the same line of reason.

It is my belief that many people need coaching / mentoring on LCHF, over a course of several sessions. The email alone might well be quite daunting to many and / or would require support and guidance along side it.

Last edited: