email to my friend about Weight Loss

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One area of the email I don’t see eye to eye with is on exercise and its part in reducing weight or addressing T2 diabetes. There is quite a strong pull on this topic away from the idea that it is beneficial. I have never agreed with that view and still don’t, partly as it has helped me i.e. and not just the lchf diet.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exercise is good. However if a person's metabolism is broken and counting calories no longer works then doing hours of cardio won't necessarily be beneficial. If we accept that the CI part of CICO is wrong for us as individuals then it's logical that the CO part of the equation won't work either.

I used to do a brisk walk daily until I realised that it was increasing the cortisol in my body which didn't help with weight loss at all. Anaerobic exercises are better as they can train the muscles to burn more fat and improve the metabolism. It's all about healing the body, not punishing something that is already struggling.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianf0ster When I read your OP first time round I got the impression that your email about weight loss had been unsolicited and that's why I felt negatively about it. If you aren't in the right frame of mind to change then there's nothing worse than someone preaching to you. Now I know your friend had already approached you on the subject I have re read it and yes, it contains many good points.

How about buying your friend a copy of the Carbs and Cals book so that he has an easy pictorial guide to the facts you have given him? Also as others have said, regular updates and support would be good.

Last edited:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@ianf0ster When I read your OP first time round I got the impression that your email about weight loss had been unsolicited and that's why I felt negatively about it. If you aren't in the right frame of mind to change then there's nothing worse than someone preaching to you. Now I know your friend had already approached you on the subject I have re read it and yes, it contains many good points.

How about buying your friend a copy of the Carbs and Cals book so that he has an easy pictorial guide to the facts you have given him? Also as others have said, regular updates and support would be good.

Hi zand,
I don't want to steer him to specific products not even DCUK's 'Low Carb Program'.
On a non-medical forum of which I'm a member every time I mention a 'paid for' product somebody accuses me of having a financial interest in it I really get tired of that since it is almost impossible to prove a negative.

Also I didn't buy any books or any products for my journey other that the BG meter and lots of test strips.

To be completely honest about the background d to the email, I heard from my wife, from his wife that he was suffering some minor medical problems due to his weight and was about to try to reduce it. And that his daughter was urging him to try WW (even though it had failed for her).
I was still hesitant about approaching the subject with him, so asked my wife to ask his wife if he would be open to consider what had reduced my weight by approximately 12%. (They had seen me with the weight off just before my last HbA1C tests and his wife had remarked that I looked unwell).

Since that first email I have provided him with links to other appropriate and relatively short jargon free videos plus Dr David Unwin's Sugar Equivalence Infographics.

Reactions: jjraak and zand

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
One area of the email I don’t see eye to eye with is on exercise and its part in reducing weight or addressing T2 diabetes. There is quite a strong pull on this topic away from the idea that it is beneficial. I have never agreed with that view and still don’t, partly as it has helped me i.e. and not just the lchf diet.

Hi Listlad,
Thank you for that.
I'd been hoping for a reason to go into more detail about the substance of the email rather than what a terrible person I am, or how badly if is formatted etc.

It is unfortunate that a response in here that I saw late yesterday appears to have been removed. If it had been left in here, that would have provided many more discussion points - though would probably have courted Moderation.

My views on exercise are based both upon my personal journey and on science.
I didn't use any additional exercise to achieve my remission and (un-intentional though not un-welcome) weight loss.
Here is a video on the science which unfortunately it also covers diet - so you have to watch most of it to get to the portion on exercise:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On exercise. It seems that LCHF can be enough on its own and that is good for those that can’t exercise or cannot find the time. But exercise or physical activity will help. (I have a feeling we are moving into a domain that the rower was alluding too).

Last edited:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On exercise. It seems that LCHF can be enough on its own and that is good for those that can’t exercise or cannot find the time. But exercise or physical activity will help. (I have a feeling we are moving into a domain the the rower was alluding too).
That's the same with any diet though - whether SW, WW, low cal, dukan, cabbage soup and so on. The food element is always the most important bit and exercise gives an added extra boost but it isn't necessary to the plan.

Years ago I read an article written by someone who set out to prove that brisk cardio which made you breathless was the best exercise for weight loss. To this person's surprise he discovered that gentler cardio was more effective. That's certainly true in my case. I can't prove it but I think it is because when I exercise so that I am breathless and giving my heart a workout my body becomes stressed and produces cortisol...which like insulin encourages weight gain. I have had my cortisol levels tested and they are higher than they should be.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Years ago I read an article written by someone who set out to prove that brisk cardio which made you breathless was the best exercise for weight loss. To this person's surprise he discovered that gentler cardio was more effective. That's certainly true in my case.

That approach was commonly touted for years. Just enough to build up a sweat.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A few years back, my ex wife decided to go out to work to help pay for school fees for our daughter. It was essentially her first job, as a part time school cleaner for about 4 hours per day. She had been overweight for a number of years. The job entailed cleaning the classrooms daily before the kids went in each morning. For the first time in many years the weight just dropped off her. And what’s more all the cleaners were seen to be the same. As a consequence of the work she also ate more too. Apart from eating more, no dietary changes were made.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A few years back, my ex wife decided to go out to work to help pay for school fees for our daughter. It was essentially her first job, as a part time school cleaner for about 4 hours per day. She had been overweight for a number of years. The job entailed cleaning the classrooms daily before the kids went in each morning. For the first time in many years the weight just dropped off her. And what’s more all the cleaners were seen to be the same. As a consequence of the work she also ate more too. Apart from eating more, no dietary changes were made.

Yes that's how it should work in healthy people without broken metabolisms. CICO. Totally logical. Plus cleaning is physical and would have helped build the muscles to burn more calories. That's why I said above that the type of exercise is important.

When I followed a strict 1000 cal a day diet and my weight didn't shift I added in a brisk 2 mile walk daily. The weight still didn't shift. When I stopped the walk because of illness I started to gain weight.

I think the sensible approach for Ian's friend is to tackle the food side of the equation first. Then when the weight starts to drop and he feels better with less weight to hamper him he can up the exercise. Less strain on tired joints with less weight to shift. Don't forget this guy wants to lose weight because he already has some health conditions which are made worse by being heavy. It's hard to exercise when you are ill.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianf0ster ..a nice informative post i thought..

a small criticism, is perhaps a little too much in one sitting as suggested, but as it was friend and you based their respone around that friendship..i'd say you pitched it well ...nice.

For me, the advice thing, went less well..
family all wanted to know how i lost weight
so i told them ..in a bit too much detail it seems and they soon got that 'glazed eyes' look I've come to know so well now.
hard not to be evangelical once the rose coloured glasses fall off and you see the Matrix in it's true light.

but horse, water, drink..does come to mind..:rolleyes:
so now if asked i keep it light, and only if they show real interest do i share a little bit more.

So good on you for reaching out to help some one you know.

Like you the LC has worked well..(so far <Pray> )
but pretty sure whatever method worked most would like/try and share if asked.

So a Merry Christmas & happy New Year.
may the next be even more successful in so many ways.
my friend.:)

Reactions: Listlad

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's hard to exercise when you are ill.
And even harder and possibly counterproductive when you are morbidly obese as I was when I started out on this journey.
At 23 stone "going for a jog" may well have killed me and almost certainly would have led to an injury..

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The job entailed cleaning the classrooms daily before the kids went in each morning. For the first time in many years the weight just dropped off her. And what’s more all the cleaners were seen to be the same. As a consequence of the work she also ate more too. Apart from eating more, no dietary changes were made.

i think many slip into the idea that ALL exercise is Gym work, weights or marathons...:***:
so some rebel ( IF they can do it at all, that is )

when the advice is ANYTHING that gets you moving..including standing
can and should be included as part of your daily exercise.
so Housework could be enough, walking the dog OR the Gym if that's what takes your fancy.
if your buzzing around your using up energy, right ?

BUT for the FBG it is diet first IMHO, and the weight should comes along..
for some slower then others, perhaps.
and for those who want the added exercise..why not

it's all exercise if your MOVING..so couch potato..NO
Cleaning..yep

Basically food is just the fuel for the furnace inside us.
the fuel IF used up, doesn't layer up as fat

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And so the last few posts supports the notion that the whole approach is quite complex, warranting more than a quick 10 minutes with a GP. Ongoing support is needed and ideally should be part of a programme of support on the part of the NHS. The opening post, while being factually sound requires more than an email, for many.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a great example of how a healthy.metabolism works.

It's not how mine works, but it's how many people's body works. A wonky metabolism affects people in different ways.

It's good to hear of different things to try.

As an aside, now my asthma medication is working I am less breathless and can breathe better, giving me more energy and enabling me to do more. I will see if that affects my weight.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
And so the last few posts supports the notion that the whole approach is quite complex, warranting more than a quick 10 minutes with a GP. Ongoing support is needed and ideally should be part of a programme of support on the part of the NHS. The opening post, while being factually sound requires more than an email, for many.
Better to rely on a forum like this one rather than a Health Care Professional who is dead set against a Low Carb approach - unless on Insulin or Glic that is.
Does it need more than a 10 min appointment ?-_Yes, but only because we have been brainwashed into thinking that Low Fat and High Carb is good for the past 40yrs !

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Better to rely on a forum like this one rather than a Health Care Professional who is dead set against a Low Carb approach - unless on Insulin or Glic that is.
Does it need more than a 10 min appointment ?-_Yes, but only because we have been brainwashed into thinking that Low Fat and High Carb is good for the past 40yrs !
It does require more than10 minutes for many. Many do not get as far as this forum.

I am meeting T2 and Prediabetics who do not know this forum exists. And do not know that there is a low carb solution.

Whilst this forum has provided me with a solution I do not think the nation ought to depend on it completely and utterly. The NHS ought to be fulfilling that role. Maybe in the not too distant future that will happen. Green shoots are there as we speak.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is a great example of how a healthy.metabolism works.

It's not how mine works, but it's how many people's body works. A wonky metabolism affects people in different ways.

It's good to hear of different things to try.

As an aside, now my asthma medication is working I am less breathless and can breathe better, giving me more energy and enabling me to do more. I will see if that affects my weight.

brilliant news. so happy it's working so well for you..

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low Carb approach - unless on Insulin or Glic that is.
These medications aren’t an absolute contradiction for low carb. It may still be appropriate but will need a great deal more care and monitoring to avoid hypos and medication to be reduced/stopped in conjunction with your dr/nurse knowledge and guidance. In fact the reduction in quantity or cessation is pretty much the goal for many alongside more even and stable bgl. Too often people on these medications are forced to eat carbs to match their meds, rather than medicate appropriate to their chosen diet.

The fact that some type 1 on insulin low carb kind of proves it’s possible.