1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Endocrinologist Said...type 2 Can Be Cured

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Petaluk, Jul 3, 2018.

1. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

This a thousand times over.

2. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Too true. Briped ver. 2006 - alpha had that bug. Briped ver. 2018.01 has been updated and patched with this forum and experience.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Hiitsme

Hiitsme Type 2 · Well-Known Member

4. briped

@Petaluk Congratulations on you great result. Well done, and here I could do with several congratulatory emojis, because this calls for a celebration! I hope you agree with all comments and stay in remission for ever after :) Just don't do whatever I did back in 2006 when my GP jubilantly took me off my meds. I didn't have a BG thingy, and as far as I remember nobody kept an eye on me after that.

5. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Very interesting thread. The way I look at it is if a person with a nut allergy stops eating nuts and remains healthy, are they cured? Of course not, they will always have a body that identifies nuts as an enemy. Eat nuts and die, eat (too many) carbs and suffer.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I think that I have altered my body from leaving carbs in my blood to taking them into fatstore, by low carbing unbroken for almost 20 months now, but I still do not do the usual thing with carbs, I just cope a bit better on a biochemical level. Luckily it is an option I can live with, and I probably lived with it for decades before diagnosis during the times I was allowed to low carb, but my response to a 'normal' diet - even one intended to reduce my weight or cholesterol should have waved a red flag for diabetes long ago.
    I was so ill when ordered to eat carbs during my second pregnancy - we are so vulnerable at such times - I was threatened with separation from my family and being fed properly, so I was taught to lie about what I ate. A normal diet has been wrong for me all my adult life, a biochemical nonsense as far as I was concerned.

• Hug Hug x 2
  7. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I would be careful eating "normally" this means high sugar, fast processed foods (Frankenstein stuff in my opinion) in a modern context.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

The recent comment I saw on Twitter was the following:

upload_2018-7-4_11-9-36.png

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. SockFiddler

SockFiddler Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Perfect!

I'm still approaching that moment, so wasn't exactly certain of the specifics. Thank you for that!

10. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There’s an interesting video from the Economist on Twitter I came across about a Doctor performing gastric bypass surgery claiming that it “cures” T2D because it bypasses a section of the upper intestine that somehow causes T2D. If I could work out how to link to it I’ll post it.

11. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

12. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

I would rather have type 2, and control it by diet and drugs, than have a gastric bypass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. briped

Me too, but for some people it's the only solution.

14. bulkbiker

15. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

it may be the only solution for some for weight loss, but for type 2 control only? if I was slim? thats what i meant. I forget to use all my words sometimes when posting lol

16. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It's strange that a type 2 who constantly gets an hba1 of under 6.5 over two months can be classed as 'in remission', why then isn't it the same for type 1s?, if their readings also drop to under 6.5 (most likely will for those on insulin) then are they in remission? I'm guessing not because it is the insulin dropping them, but then again is it not the low carb diet that is dropping type 2's? My point being, drop the insulin and the low carbs and back it all comes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SockFiddler

Actually, a diabetic friend of mine (in Leeds, where the CCG seems to have an abundant amount of cash. I'm seriously thinking of relocating) just had a gastric bypass. She had to "follow a special diet" for three weeks before hand to "shrink the liver", but when I looked over the sheet she'd been given, it was very clearly a very-low-carb diet.

She was plunged (as we know and see all too often) into an immediate state of keto flu, couldn't keep warm, couldn't stay awake. But even before the operation, her Hba1c was the lowest it had ever been in 15 years, her liver had shrunk "to normal size" and she'd lost 3 clothes sizes.

This was just run-of-the-mill NHS treatment and, I have to admit, I was impressed. It was nice to be able to explain to her what was happening in her body, why the diet was working and how to ease the keto flu symptoms.

Now, 3 months along, she's lost 6 sizes, her energy is back, her arthritic pain has significantly lessened, she's still off the carbs (though less rigidly so), and her consultant predicts she may never have symptoms of diabetes again.

Honestly, given the option and having seen what it's done for her, I'd leap at the chance for surgery.

18. bulkbiker

Not quite the same surely.
    If you as a Type1 were to drop the insulin you would be very ill... possibly dead.
    If I as a Type 2 went back to my old ways of eating i'd simply be stupid.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. briped

I admit to not clicking on the link, but do they do bariatric surgery on slim t2s too? I meant for morbidly obese, T2 or not, but I think we agree

20. SockFiddler

The criteria in the little graphic also said without meds during entire period covered by both HbA1c's. I'm no expert, but I'm fairly sure that's impossible for a T1?

• Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook