Estimated a1c on libre is 4.8percent

Talya2022

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Is this likely to be accurate and is this a good reading? I’ve been taking Ozempic for 11 months and have been trying to address issues in my diet although there is definitely room for improvement with my diet although I have an eating disorder also which complicates matters

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had two HbA1c results from blood tests since regularly using a Libre. I have found the Libre came out lower than the lab tests. One was 6 lower the other was 5 lower.
Edit to add these measurements are mmol/mol not a percentage.

Reactions: saky

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had two HbA1c results from blood tests since regularly using a Libre. I have found the Libre came out lower than the lab tests. One was 6 lower the other was 5 lower.
That’s interesting.

Because my A1cs come in consistently lower from the lab at (approx) 15% than either the Libre or the estimation on my meter log app..?

Talya2022

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Because of my bulimia I have not been able to change my diet and I’ve purchased a libre with the hope of making small changes to my diet when I’m able to. Is it likely that I’m now in remission even though I’ve not not been able to change my diet at all since diagnosis?

• Hug
Reactions: MissMuffett

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I have not found Libre to be a reliable predicter of HbA1c.
In my case (working on percentages) it is generally a full 1% lower than the laboratory results.

I do find that Libre 2 tends to read low more often than high on me.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find the Libre estimated HBA1C so far from my blood test that I just see it as another measurement to track.
Like @Rachox my results are in mmol/mol and the LIbre estimate is consistently 10 mmol/mol lower which is about 20% of my actual number.

Guilty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Use your actual A1c result as well as the info you get off the libre to compliment each other.

One doesn't replace the other.

I've just had my actual A1c result back and it was spot on with the Libre estimate. But the libre A1c is just an estimate and people get differences.

Your libre results are great to be able to see your average glucose patterns. And 'time in range' is supposed to be a good indicator of control as well.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I read some recent research involving use of CGM - one of the things established was the lack of correlation between CGM readings and HbA1c results. Unfortunately I can't find the link - will post if I recall where I've put it.

Billy H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Know-all medics who think they know better than me
If you check your Libre website you will find the HbA1c estimate is higher than the app on your phone/tablet.
This is because the app does not take blood glucose readings or any data not recorded by the app into account.
The website takes information from my app and glucometer and combines them. My last A1C (6.2) was 0.3mmol/l above the estimate on the app but spot on with the website.
It is useful to use the website to monitor your diabetes because the information available gives a very comprehensive overview and it's easy to focus on single events or compare patterns to plan treatment adjustment.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you check your Libre website you will find the HbA1c estimate is higher than the app on your phone/tablet.
This is because the app does not take blood glucose readings or any data not recorded by the app into account.
The website takes information from my app and glucometer and combines them.
For me, the estimated hba1c on the LibreView website is higher than the one on the app, but it only gets fed the information from the app.
So exactly the same data, different estimated hba1c, they must use a different way of calculating.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I read some recent research involving use of CGM - one of the things established was the lack of correlation between CGM readings and HbA1c results. Unfortunately I can't find the link - will post if I recall where I've put it.
Shah et al from 2019 - interesting in general, particularly on what "normal" looks like.

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
This is where my skills in denial come in handy, I told the endo appointment I had Covid so I could not attend, I had earlier ignored attempts by the db gestapo to extract blood, the result of this is my only means of judging my A1c is my libre, I am very happy with my number, cunning huh. I apparently have a team somewhere, best they help someone who wants it :) I can’t try no harder.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a point - neither the HbA1c nor the CGM actually directly measure blood glucose at all. Both use proxies - glycated haemoglobin and interstitial fluid. There is an issue about how well any proxy represents the thing it's standing in for, but I don't recall seeing any evaluation of this for either CGMs or HbA1c.