Fairly sure this doesn't count as a new diagnosis

dcle2021

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
My diabetic nurse, and NICE guidance.
It makes me so angry how the health service complicate all of this. When are they going to admit they got it wrong :(

Thanks for the understanding, that helped a bit.

The best one today was:

Nurse: "have you been on an education course?"
Me: "no when I first got diagnosed my life was in bits and I couldn't commit to the times that were available, can you help me get on one?"
Nurse: "Yes"

Me: Ended up leaving with no information on these.

Had to look up my XPRT local group on this site, then the email was out of date (luckily it redirected) now waiting for a mail back, which is fine and tbh doing that wasn't that hard, just you know: they were a diabetic nurse, that's their job, and they singularly failed to provide the assistance requested. All they wanted to do was introduce more drugs with yet more potential side effects and interactions chasing their game of HBA1C numberwang.

dcle2021

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
An HbA1C test shows the average level of blood sugar over about 3 months, which is why it is ysed for diagnosis instead of a fasting blood test. But if you want to get your blood sugar down then buying a meter and testing before and after meals will show how well your body tolerates carbs.
A healthy diet? The 'Eatwell' plate is a disaster for t2 diabetes. And continuing to eat too many carbs while taking metformin then other drugs was the reason so m doctors assumed T2 diabetes is a progressive disease.

As other have said, you don't need to eat salads if you don't like them, there are lots of foods you can eat while keeping carbs down to a level that brings your blood sugar down.

See that's the information no one tells you: "continuing to eat too many carbs while taking metformin then other drugs was the reason so m doctors assumed T2 diabetes is a progressive disease."

My question then becomes what is too many. For me, it feels like 0g per week. I think I just have to go brutal on this.

It isn't realistic and I'm fairly sure it isn't sustainable for me. But the drugs are worse.

There is no upside here.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So was wondering if anyone knew if people should even be on Metformin of they're on Betamethazone/Calcipotriol, was all.
I have been using Antroquoril (Betamethasone) for years before I went Afib, and diagnosed as a T2 diabetic and put on Metformin and went on a LCHF way of preparing meals.

I have been off Metformin for a couple of years now.

Here's the insert from the box listing side effects it's down near the bottom here.

https://media.healthdirect.org.au/medicines/GuildLink_Information/70406/CMI/oqcantro10421.pdf

Reactions: dcle2021

dcle2021

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
I have been using Antroquoril (Betamethasone) for years before I went Afib, and diagnosed as a T2 diabetic and put on Metformin and went on a LCHF way of preparing meals.

I have been off Metformin for a couple of years now.

Here's the insert from the box listing side effects it's down near the bottom here.

https://media.healthdirect.org.au/medicines/GuildLink_Information/70406/CMI/oqcantro10421.pdf

Yeah I'm going off the safety sheet for Enstilar, GP just said "be sparing with it", and I have been.

From that safety sheet " Talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse during treatment if you have diabetes mellitus (diabetes) as your blood sugar level may be affected by the steroid."

Sorry can't upload pictures, got nowhere to put them.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
By my diabetic nurse because she doesn't like the look of my cholesterol either.
When I went back to low carb my cholesterol levels reduced - even though I was eating foods with more fat - all there naturally though,. I had been eating low fat everything for almost 2 years and cholesterol went up at each test.

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

dcle2021

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
When I went back to low carb my cholesterol levels reduced - even though I was eating foods with more fat - all there naturally though,. I had been eating low fat everything for almost 2 years and cholesterol went up at each test.

Tbh the cholesterol is the least of my worries - but your comment just perfectly illustrates the point that my diabetic nurse is giving properly rubbish advice.

I'm ignoring their advice now (in case anyone hadn't noticed.) This is not a way to help anyone manage a condition, tell someone to cut carb intake and then say oh but you have to reduce fat intake too, because doing one will by necessity lead to a rise in the other.

Could they be any more useless? All they seem to care about is shipping drugs. Which makes you question if they way they are measured on diabetes treatments is causing them to over diagnose so they can hit targets and or payments.

This isn't patient care btw, this is more Tory corruption. I'd ignore it but they want to destroy what's left of my health with unnecessary and counterproductive drug treatments.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Thanks for the understanding, that helped a bit.

The best one today was:

Nurse: "have you been on an education course?"
Me: "no when I first got diagnosed my life was in bits and I couldn't commit to the times that were available, can you help me get on one?"
Nurse: "Yes"

Me: Ended up leaving with no information on these.

Had to look up my XPRT local group on this site, then the email was out of date (luckily it redirected) now waiting for a mail back, which is fine and tbh doing that wasn't that hard, just you know: they were a diabetic nurse, that's their job, and they singularly failed to provide the assistance requested. All they wanted to do was introduce more drugs with yet more potential side effects and interactions chasing their game of HBA1C numberwang.
Why does this not surprise me!
Surely it makes far more sense to keep us all well? It would save the NHS millions in the long run!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have only just realised you really have to go as low carb as you can. I am having sausages and veg and gravy (hope gravy ok) for dinner this evening. Buy a meter and watch how what you eat affects your blood sugar. Test @ morning fasting then 2 hrs after each meal. I’m very new on here but everyone has helped me so much. Learn as much as you can about your diabetes. I wish you well. X.
Don't forget to test just before you start eating then 2 hours after or you won't be able to see what the food has done in terms of a rise (or hopefully not) in your blood sugar levels.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really they show them on the screen and I can never remember the number after. They don't provide me any written information. 5.5 I think.

Also getting ****** about BP as well which is 140/90 when I take it and 160/90 when they do. They want me to monitor it... Not going to as they'll only put me on more bloody drugs pretty much whatever numbers I post back.

If you are in England you should be able to register to get your blood test results online.

That's how I avoid meeting with the DN as much as possible.

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

dcle2021

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Why does this not surprise me!
Surely it makes far more sense to keep us all well? It would save the NHS millions in the long run!

You know, I get it, I really do. Treating the complications of diabetes costs a lot. That's why we agree to preventative stuff when we have no symptoms.

What I don't get is the refusal to consider patient concerns or follow a thorough diagnosis process.

I feel significant things have been skipped - no fasting glucose tests, no antibody tests, no offer or even pay for it yourself recommendation of blood sugar test equipment until it's too late.

I am also stunned by the lack of provision of information throughout. And the reluctance to engage in a discussion centred on the patient.

To easy to go, oh your score is X here are some pills. Oh your score is Y here's some other pills which might give you a hypo so here's a test kit. Oh your score is Z here's insulin. Oh go on this course which we make 8 weeks long and takes a half day out of every Saturday and you have to turn up to 80% of the sessions. We only run 4 a year. What you can't do that because you already have a life with commitments that can't be broken? Tough.

The state of GPs these days.

Reactions: ROSIETIA

dcle2021

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
If you are in England you should be able to register to get your blood test results online.

That's a good shout I'll look into it.

Reactions: bulkbiker

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You know, I get it, I really do. Treating the complications of diabetes costs a lot. That's why we agree to preventative stuff when we have no symptoms.

What I don't get is the refusal to consider patient concerns or follow a thorough diagnosis process.

I feel significant things have been skipped - no fasting glucose tests, no antibody tests, no offer or even pay for it yourself recommendation of blood sugar test equipment until it's too late.

I am also stunned by the lack of provision of information throughout. And the reluctance to engage in a discussion centred on the patient.

To easy to go, oh your score is X here are some pills. Oh your score is Y here's some other pills which might give you a hypo so here's a test kit. Oh your score is Z here's insulin. Oh go on this course which we make 8 weeks long and takes a half day out of every Saturday and you have to turn up to 80% of the sessions. We only run 4 a year. What you can't do that because you already have a life with commitments that can't be broken? Tough.

The state of GPs these days.

Unfortunately it takes time and effort and the doctor gets little to no benefit from it only the patient.
When there are financial incentives for surgeries to get people onto medication (which seems crazy to me) why should the doctor put themselves out to get you better.

My main motivator was anger at the ignorance of the HCP's who gave me poor advice when I was diagnosed so I determined to show them they were wrong. Luckily having found this forum a week or so before my (not unexpected) diagnosis I was fairly well prepared and put the advice learnt here into practise.

I bought my own meter, gave up eating before 1 pm and reduced carbs as much as possible.

The results are in my signature.

The only person who can effectively take control of our health is us. Grab that control with both hands and run with it.

Last edited:

Palmer6

I've been asked to keep fats down too. I'm knackered aren't I?

Ps don't eat normal bread only small amounts of low GI wholemeal stuff. Potatoes and starchy veg on half portions currently but looks like my body won't even cope with that.
Get the book 8 week blood sugar diet - Michael Mosley .. you won’t look back. Cut carbs, fill up on protein, nuts n good fats,veggies, limit carbs and it will be fine… ✅

Reactions: dcle2021 and coby

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!

Bulkbiker this is what I want to do as I hate phone appointments with the doctors or nurses. I'm a bit anxious with phone calls so don't grasp what's being said. I've written a letter to the Practice Manager at my new GP practise to explain, so hope it works!

dcle2021

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Unfortunately it takes time and effort and the doctor gets little to no benefit from it only the patient.
When there are financial incentives for surgeries to get people onto medication (which seems crazy to me) why should the doctor put themselves out to get you better.

My main motivator was anger at the ignorance of the HCP's who gave me poor advice when I was diagnosed so I determined to show them they were wrong. Luckily having found this forum a week or so before my (not unexpected) diagnosis I was fairly well prepared and put the advice learnt here into practise.

I bought my own meter, gave up eating before 1 pm and reduced carbs as much as possible.

The results are in my signature.

The only person who can effectively take control of our health is us. Grab that control with both hands and run with it.

Pleased for you, I already did something similar when I was first diagnosed and got to 49. It wasnt sustainable for me then and unlikely to be now, but yes I am really angry and channelling that into total self punishment to see what happens. If it doesn't work I may just say stuff it and stop going, and resign myself to a reduced but happier life expectancy.

As for why should the doctors care, in my experience, they just don't. And the HCPs as you say are worse.

Zero support zero focus on patient outcomes, the only ones that win here are the drug companies. Current UK strategy on Diabetes is System-focussed not Patient-focus, not fit for purpose, and frankly, it ruins my life.

dcle2021

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Get the book 8 week blood sugar diet - Michael Mosley .. you won’t look back. Cut carbs, fill up on protein, nuts n good fats,veggies, limit carbs and it will be fine… ✅

Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look. If it's anything like the others I've tried, I might get something out of it until my body adapts and my score goes high again over time, even without breaking the diet. This is what happened last time. 49 to 56 to 75. Ok the jump to 75 I had definitely broken the regime, but the 49 to 56 not so much. And the DN bollocked me for that.

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pleased for you, I already did something similar when I was first diagnosed and got to 49. It wasnt sustainable for me then and unlikely to be now, but yes I am really angry and channelling that into total self punishment to see what happens. If it doesn't work I may just say stuff it and stop going, and resign myself to a reduced but happier life expectancy.

As for why should the doctors care, in my experience, they just don't. And the HCPs as you say are worse.

Zero support zero focus on patient outcomes, the only ones that win here are the drug companies. Current UK strategy on Diabetes is System-focussed not Patient-focus, not fit for purpose, and frankly, it ruins my life.

I’m not sure about reduced but happier life expectancy. Unfortunately diabetes runs in my family, and I’ve seen many family members who died in their 50’s and 60’s. They thought the lifestyle change was too much like hard work and thought “f*ck it* and ate what they wanted, thinking a shot of insulin and a few pills will magically save them. They didn’t look too happy in their final months/years. They were in a lot of agony. I remember being little and helping my great aunt put on her socks, it took forever cos she kept stopping me as the pain from just having the sock touching her feet was unbearable.

it’s tough, but it doesn’t have to be like that. Reading about it on this forum and many websites tells me life expectancy is the same, in some cases better for diabetics when they change their lifestyle.

don’t punish yourself, love yourself. You’ve got a supportive network here with people willing to hear you out. You’ll do great! I believe in you

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I personally don't like a cooked breakfast, particularly eggs first thing but developed, with the aid the the meter I self-fund, a breakfast mix of milled flaxseed, chia seed, nuts and seeds. Add some cinnamon and a pinch of salt, cooked with water and a good spoonful of coconut milk, served with double cream.
Lunch if I want it is cooked meat or eggs/cheese with a salad.
Dinner is usually chicken or fish, eg
roast chicken with a large pile of green veg and either cauliflower rice or kohlrabi/butternut squash mash, pour the juice from the pan over the veg.
baked salmon with lemon juice served with sugar-free aioli, green veg, etc
chicken cooked with mushrooms and onion, add some full fat cream cheese to form a cream sauce, served with green veg
chicken curry - baltis are usually lower in carbs, served with cauli rice.
Occasionally I have low carb bread or make 90 second almond bread to have with cheese or a BLT. The loaf is stored in the freezer.

Puddings include greek yogurt with a few berries, fruit 'crumble' especially rhubarb cooked then sweetened with erythritol, covered with ground almonds, pressed down lightly. Baked at 190C for 20 mins. Serve with a real egg custard (no sugar) or cream. Or one of the many keto cakes on various websites.

dcle2021

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
I’m not sure about reduced but happier life expectancy. Unfortunately diabetes runs in my family, and I’ve seen many family members who died in their 50’s and 60’s. They thought the lifestyle change was too much like hard work and thought “f*ck it* and ate what they wanted, thinking a shot of insulin and a few pills will magically save them. They didn’t look too happy in their final months/years. They were in a lot of agony. I remember being little and helping my great aunt put on her socks, it took forever cos she kept stopping me as the pain from just having the sock touching her feet was unbearable.

it’s tough, but it doesn’t have to be like that. Reading about it on this forum and many websites tells me life expectancy is the same, in some cases better for diabetics when they change their lifestyle.

don’t punish yourself, love yourself. You’ve got a supportive network here with people willing to hear you out. You’ll do great! I believe in you

Thanks for the kind words.

Hard work is fine and is why I'm having another crack as doing it myself. What I am saying is that doing that is massively detrimental to my quality of life (Low carb - I become grumpy and unbearable. Exercising: I am basically hating every second before after and during, and will snap at anyone inside a 3 mile radius).

I am also saying the UK treatment pathway for this is a joke as it doesn't support the patient when things are going badly. It also doesn't give any view on how much is ok or too much and what to expect. DNs just follow the crib sheet. There's no thought or consideration of what the patient is saying. GPs don't want to know. Practices seem to be incentivised to diagnose and then ship drugs.

It's a massive ask when you consider I don't even have symptoms other than this blood sugar reading, which doesn't seem to react to anything but starvation and 3 hours or more a day of exercise that I don't have time for.

As for punishing myself that's what doing this feels like and its the only way I'll be able to do what the DN and the GP want - because their suggestions of medication *do not work for me*.

At some point I have to ask myself if that is worth the hassle and if it's what I want.

I too have family history - my dad has a similar issue, but he's late seventies now (good innings, right?), and for all the good entry level diabetes drugs give him, he is now actually saying no as the interactions with his heart meds are too frightening.

I know I will get to that point sometime, but Im not there yet and have hopefully something like another 40 years left to run.

Running will be all I am doing, mind.

dcle2021

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
I personally don't like a cooked breakfast, particularly eggs first thing but developed, with the aid the the meter I self-fund, a breakfast mix of milled flaxseed, chia seed, nuts and seeds. Add some cinnamon and a pinch of salt, cooked with water and a good spoonful of coconut milk, served with double cream.
Lunch if I want it is cooked meat or eggs/cheese with a salad.
Dinner is usually chicken or fish, eg
roast chicken with a large pile of green veg and either cauliflower rice or kohlrabi/butternut squash mash, pour the juice from the pan over the veg.
baked salmon with lemon juice served with sugar-free aioli, green veg, etc
chicken cooked with mushrooms and onion, add some full fat cream cheese to form a cream sauce, served with green veg
chicken curry - baltis are usually lower in carbs, served with cauli rice.
Occasionally I have low carb bread or make 90 second almond bread to have with cheese or a BLT. The loaf is stored in the freezer.

Puddings include greek yogurt with a few berries, fruit 'crumble' especially rhubarb cooked then sweetened with erythritol, covered with ground almonds, pressed down lightly. Baked at 190C for 20 mins. Serve with a real egg custard (no sugar) or cream. Or one of the many keto cakes on various websites.

Thanks I'll give some of that a try.
Low sugar granola , meat/veg/salad , as you say yoghurt. Like your crumble idea.