Fairly sure this doesn't count as a new diagnosis

dcle2021

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
My diabetic nurse, and NICE guidance.
Got diagnosed by accident (switched doctors) 4 yrs ago.

HBA1C was 66 at diagnosis. Exercised and ate nothing but salads for 6 months, got it to 49. Life intervened, that slipped a bit, got put on Metformin (no antacids) and ever since my HBA1C has increased every time I visit. I've not changed anything else, but having a normal diet. I don't exercise as much as I should because I hate it and it makes me miserable. (as does eating salads). I don't drink large amounts and my diet is balanced.

My HBA1C now at 73.

Had some chest pain (twisting twinges) last week so cut the Metformin as it could have been lactic acidosis. Doctor says heart is Ok and thinks it could be reflux, so I'm taking omaprazole now, but didn't start with Metformin again yet.

Felt much better within a day! Woke up with energy in the morning for the first time since I started taking Metformin 3 years ago. Chest pains stopped.

Is there any way taking Metformin could cause my body to respond less well and thereby elevate my HBA1C? Can Metformin cause heart flutters and signs of AF?

( I also have betamethazone steroid for psoriasis. This elevates blood sugars. )

Are my doctor and the diabetic nurse treating a symptom caused by other medications?

Fed up of the stonewalling of the medical establishment and complete failure to treat the whole patient rather than doctoring by numbers to the proxy measure that HBA1C gives. I have never had a fasting blood sugar test. They don't answer any of my questions and just point me to Nice pathway guidance.

Advice please. Fed up with them and want a second opinion. Would rather not be on any drugs at all and concerned my HBA1C is a false value.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my diet is balanced.

How?

All your ailments could be down to dietary components.. might be worth trying a month of elimination to see what is having an impact on your conditions.

Intermittent fasting and ultra low carb meant I never really started on medication and psoriasis can have a dietary element causing flare ups so what do you have to lose?

https://revero.health/?s=psoriasis

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I have only just realised you really have to go as low carb as you can. I am having sausages and veg and gravy (hope gravy ok) for dinner this evening. Buy a meter and watch how what you eat affects your blood sugar. Test @ morning fasting then 2 hrs after each meal. I’m very new on here but everyone has helped me so much. Learn as much as you can about your diabetes. I wish you well. X.

dcle2021

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Yeah when I said nothing but salads it's was basically living without potatoes bread any kind of rice. Lots of fish salads. Steak and salad. Chicken Caesar without the dressing or potatoes.

Right now I'm eating a bit more normal than that, but still do essentially half portions of any potatoes, carrots, bread etc. And pretty much any dessert aside from 0% fat free yoghurt is off limits.

I hate it.

dcle2021

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Oh and I'm still at HBA1C of 73. When on 2000mg of Metformin a day over the measurement period.

The drugs don't work.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
An HbA1C test shows the average level of blood sugar over about 3 months, which is why it is ysed for diagnosis instead of a fasting blood test. But if you want to get your blood sugar down then buying a meter and testing before and after meals will show how well your body tolerates carbs.
A healthy diet? The 'Eatwell' plate is a disaster for t2 diabetes. And continuing to eat too many carbs while taking metformin then other drugs was the reason so m doctors assumed T2 diabetes is a progressive disease.

As other have said, you don't need to eat salads if you don't like them, there are lots of foods you can eat while keeping carbs down to a level that brings your blood sugar down.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yeah when I said nothing but salads it's was basically living without potatoes bread any kind of rice. Lots of fish salads. Steak and salad. Chicken Caesar without the dressing or potatoes.

Right now I'm eating a bit more normal than that, but still do essentially half portions of any potatoes, carrots, bread etc. And pretty much any dessert aside from 0% fat free yoghurt is off limits.

I hate it.
You may need to drop the potatoes, carrots and ordinary bread. Up the protein and fat instead. Green veg are good, and maybe a few berries.
And full fat Greek yogurt is better than 0% fat other yogurt as it has fewer carbs. Basically we replace the carbs with some unprocessed fat to provide energy.

dcle2021

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
How?

All your ailments could be down to dietary components.. might be worth trying a month of elimination to see what is having an impact on your conditionsQUOTE]
You may need to drop the potatoes, carrots and ordinary bread. Up the protein and fat instead. Green veg are good, and maybe a few berries.
And full fat Greek yogurt is better than 0% fat other yogurt as it has fewer carbs. Basically we replace the carbs with some unprocessed fat to provide energy.

I've been asked to keep fats down too. I'm knackered aren't I?

Ps don't eat normal bread only small amounts of low GI wholemeal stuff. Potatoes and starchy veg on half portions currently but looks like my body won't even cope with that.

dcle2021

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
PS have never been offered:
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education
Today I was offered such a device but only because they wanted to put me on some stronger pills.

I have refused at present and will be back to nothing but salads (or indeed nothing at all) and excessive levels of exercise every day to prove my point that in order to control this "condition" I have to have pretty much no life at all, and certainly not allowed to eat anything I like the actual taste of or spend my time doing activities I actually enjoy rather than grunting my way around the streets in the dark, hungry as hell.

But the downside of this, of course, is that I can't measure anything.

dcle2021

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
An HbA1C test shows the average level of blood sugar over about 3 months, which is why it is ysed for diagnosis instead of a fasting blood test. But if you want to get your blood sugar down then buying a meter and testing before and after meals will show how well your body tolerates carbs.
A healthy diet? The 'Eatwell' plate is a disaster for t2 diabetes. And continuing to eat too many carbs while taking metformin then other drugs was the reason so m doctors assumed T2 diabetes is a progressive disease.

As other have said, you don't need to eat salads if you don't like them, there are lots of foods you can eat while keeping carbs down to a level that brings your blood sugar down.

Got a list of those foods? I'm being told nothing.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.

I hate it.
On the advice here. I have been having strawberries with double cream whisked and a sprinkle of cashew nuts (crushed - hit with saucepan in plastic bag lol) for a dessert. Wonderful and brill numbers after. X.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also have betamethazone steroid for psoriasis. This elevates blood sugars.
Is your Betamethasone applied directly to your skin? I use steroid ointment and I have a steroid inhaler and neither of these raise my blood sugars. I believe that usually only steroids taken by mouth affect blood sugars.
As has already been suggested your diet is probably the first place to be looking for the reasons behind your HbA1c reading.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Got a list of those foods? I'm being told nothing.
It makes me so angry how the health service complicate all of this. When are they going to admit they got it wrong :(

dcle2021

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Do you have your cholesterol results?
Not really they show them on the screen and I can never remember the number after. They don't provide me any written information. 5.5 I think.

Also getting ****** about BP as well which is 140/90 when I take it and 160/90 when they do. They want me to monitor it... Not going to as they'll only put me on more bloody drugs pretty much whatever numbers I post back.

dcle2021

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Is your Betamethasone applied directly to your skin? I use steroid ointment and I have a steroid inhaler and neither of these raise my blood sugars. I believe that usually only steroids taken by mouth affect blood sugars.
As has already been suggested your diet is probably the first place to be looking for the reasons behind your HbA1c reading.

Yes, safety sheet says it raises blood sugars. It's a spray, spray it on the affected area and rub it in. It crackles a bit. Has been the only treatment in 15 years that's had any effect. I did use it maybe a bit more than I usually do in the last period. So was wondering if anyone knew if people should even be on Metformin of they're on Betamethazone/Calcipotriol, was all. Or if anyone knew of that messes your readings up.