Fairly sure this doesn't count as a new diagnosis

dcle2021

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
My diabetic nurse, and NICE guidance.
Beware shop (or Internet) bought low sugar granola, many are still quite high carb. Better to mix your own. Lots of recipes on line, search "keto granola" or ask the lovely @Rachox for her easy and tasty mix

Thank you, I buy the stuff with less carb. It's like 40/100 instead of 70/100 carb. I have no way of knowing if home made will beat that as my cooking tends not to come with a nutritional information label!

I should probably make my own.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, I buy the stuff with less carb. It's like 40/100 instead of 70/100 carb. I have no way of knowing if home made will beat that as my cooking tends not to come with a nutritional information label!

I should probably make my own.

The one I make is around 7g carbs per 100g. I’m not at home right now so will copy the recipe here when I get home to my iPad.

Reactions: coby

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m sorry to say that if you’ve still been eating carbs like bread and rice, albeit in smaller portions, then that is likely why things got worse even with metformin. It probably would have happened faster if you’d eaten normal portions but they will have added to your insulin resistance and therefore to the underlying problem. Most of us barely touch the things you still eat.

I hear you when you say it makes you miserable but try thinking about why. Do you miss the food itself or resent the need to change? Are you bored with the food you can safely eat? do you need things that feel like treats? Do you have any?
This page has links with info and recipes about low carb and keto https://www.dietdoctor.com/explore. It might give you ideas how to make it less miserable.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@dcle2021 here’s the promised low carb granola recipe:
LOW CARB CHOC GRANOLA
Carbs per 50g portion 3.5g approx., not including anything added like yoghurt or cream.

Ingredients:
25g coconut oil melted
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp granulated sweetener of choice, I used Xylitol but note this is poisonous to pets.
1/2 tsp cinnamon
200 g unsweetened desiccated or shredded coconut
50 g pumpkin seeds
50 g sunflower seeds
100 g mixed nuts chopped
50 g whole flaxseeds
10 Hotel Chocolate 100% buttons corsely chopped

Instructions:
1. Melt the coconut oil in a glass bowl then stir the sweetener, cinnamon and cocoa powder (or vanilla extract) into it.
2. In a large baking tray, mix all the seeds, nuts, coconut and chocolate pieces together.
3. Pour the 3. Pour the chocolate coconut oil over the chocolate, coconut, seed and nut mix then stir well so all the granola is coated with the chocolate coconut oil.
4. Bake at 180C/ 350F/gas mark 6 for 24 minutes oven, until crispy and brown. The mixture burns VERY easily, so set the timer and turn the mixture every 4 minutes.
5. Serve with Greek yoghurt and berries or with cream or sprinkle over ice cream (Oppo of course ;))
6. Store in the fridge.

Reactions: SMS1 and Dandelade

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do a very similar granola without the chocolate. I often add some turmeric and just use whichever low carb nuts and seeds I have at the time.
I’ve done it in the oven, in the slow cooker (with regular stirring) and on the hob in a huge sauté pan. The last is now my regular method as it’s quickest and I often make several batches at a time as my son likes food parcels of this as does my mother

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
You know, I get it, I really do. Treating the complications of diabetes costs a lot. That's why we agree to preventative stuff when we have no symptoms.

What I don't get is the refusal to consider patient concerns or follow a thorough diagnosis process.

I feel significant things have been skipped - no fasting glucose tests, no antibody tests, no offer or even pay for it yourself recommendation of blood sugar test equipment until it's too late.

I am also stunned by the lack of provision of information throughout. And the reluctance to engage in a discussion centred on the patient.

To easy to go, oh your score is X here are some pills. Oh your score is Y here's some other pills which might give you a hypo so here's a test kit. Oh your score is Z here's insulin. Oh go on this course which we make 8 weeks long and takes a half day out of every Saturday and you have to turn up to 80% of the sessions. We only run 4 a year. What you can't do that because you already have a life with commitments that can't be broken? Tough.

The state of GPs these days.
dcle2021 I was offered a two day course, from 10am until 4pm both days, but had to refuse it because I was my mother's main carer and couldn't possibly have done those hours. I was never offered an alternative, so never got to do the course. They just shoved a folder of information at me .. all of which turned out to be wrong of course, and left me to it. Fortunately I never saw that particular nurse again and the other two were the sort who answered any questions in full. I hadn't come across this forum then, so couldn't discuss low carb with them, but they really were helpful and had time to listen

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I'll give some of that a try.
Low sugar granola , meat/veg/salad , as you say yoghurt. Like your crumble idea.
A few years ago someone produced this food list to get started on low carb. As you can see it doesn't only consist of salads.
You will need to buy a meter as people differ as to the effect of certain foods on their BG. @Rachox has a guide to reasonably priced meters and strips.
You should set yourself a daily limit of carbs, mine is about 75g, many people are lower, some are quite a bit higher, then adjust it as you see results from the meter. You mention half portions but that may not be enough change if your original portions were large. My 75g is divided something like 10g breakfast, 20g lunch, 30g dinner and a 15g beer in the evening.

Beef Roast
Beef Steaks
Corned Beef
Ground Beef
Poultry
Chicken pieces, thighs, legs, wing, breast
Duck
Goose
Pheasant
Turkey: whole, breast, leg portions, or ground
Pork
Bacon
Ground Pork
Ham
Italian Sausage
Bratwurst sausages (lidl) great taste & normal sausage substitute.
Pork Chops
Pork Roasts
Pork Steaks
Pork Tenderloin
Sausages look for high meat content
Tinned Pork & Ham
Fish
Canned Salmon
Crab
Flounder
Herring
Salmon
Sardines
Scallops
Shellfish
Shrimp
Sole
Trout
Tuna Fish
Spices And Condiments
Chili Powder
Garlic Powder Garlic Salt
Horseradish
Onion Powder
Paprika
Parmesan Cheese
Salt & Pepper
Salad Dressings
Salsa
Soy Sauce
Vinegar
Worcestershire Sauce
Yellow and Brown Mustard
Low Carb Syrups and Sweetener

Non-Starchy Vegetables
Alfalfa sprouts (great on salads)
Artichoke
Asparagus
Avocado
Bean Sprouts
Bell Peppers (green, red, yellow, orange)
Bok Choy
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage (Any)
Cauliflower (Great as rice or mashed potato substitute.)
Celery
Celeriac
Chickpeas
Cucumbers
Fresh Spinach
Flax seed (add to salads & things)
Flower sprouts
Garlic
Green Onions
Hot Peppers
Leeks
Lentils
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Okra
Mushrooms
Radish
Peas
Yellow Onions
Red Onions
Squash
Tomatoes/paste & Sun dried
Zucchini
Note; frozen is most the time better than fresh.
Fruit (most is ok, but best in small portions.)
with root veg those with an orange tinge to them eg carrots, sweet potato, swede are better that the white veg, but still have to watch portion size.

Fats / Oils
Bernaise Sauce
Hollandaise Sauce
Mayonnaise
Olive Oil
Peanut Oil
Sesame Oil
cooking spray
Coconut oil

Dairy and Non Dairy
Milk full fat.
Coconut milk
Cheeses (hard)
Butter/Ghee
Cream Cheese
Eggs
Heavy Whipping Cream
Heavy Cream
Sour Cream
Yogurt
Greek yogurt, plain, full fat.

Snacks and Other Goodies
Olives (black)
Peanut butter
Pork Scratchings
Dark Chocolate 70% or more Cocoa (Good when cooking)

Ryvita. (A good replacement for bread.)
lidl's Rivercote sesame crispbreads, ( lower carbs than Ryvita)
Tuc crackers
Nuts (that you like.)
Seeds
Chia seed (This thread shows the benefits of this magick like seed. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/72819/
These little beauties can be added to almost anything, they can even be used as an egg substitute & thickening soups, sauces stews etc.)

Flax seed - similar to chia.
Cornflour (great for thickening & making yorkkie puds etc)
Almond flour
Coconut flour
Cinnamon
Oatmeal
Soya flour
Breads
livlife
Burgen linseed & soya
Low Carb Tortillas,
The higher the fiber & lower the carbs the better.
Try to avoid wheat based products as much as possible, including cereals