BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And you are doing this on purpose?

Dry fasting threads to follow?

This is like watching self harm, I think this is dodgy ground guys

Just for your edification and delight.. here's a very small study on dry fasting over 5 days.
https://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/357718
As a bath is mentioned then I'm assuming this is "soft" dry fasting where washing is permitted.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Thank you @Fenn for your concern. First I should say my alias is Mike, but my name is Moyle. Trust me I have built up to doing this scenario for approaching 4 years in January 2019 as follows:

1. Extreme exercise, metformin low GI foods
2. Extreme exercise, metformin LCHF
3. Less extreme exercise, LCHF & Intermittent Fasting
4. Less extreme exercise, Keto & Intermittent Fasting
5. Mix of extreme & less exercise, Keto & Intermittent Fasting & Multi day Fasting
6. Research, research and more cross referenced research (I never just go for it)

The MDF I did before this was over 5 days and before that just shy of 3. During these other fasts the numbers I have posted in this thread, I have experienced similarly, with no symptoms - when you are fat / ketone adapted lower blood glucose numbers in some are not a problem (WARNING: this is an adaptation over time. This is not for anyone on medication (including Metformin, as the liver has to have unhindered ability to dump). Blood pressure tends to go lower, so medicated persons must monitor and adjust, or just do short single days.

I posted why I am doing this a couple of pages back and should have included autophagy benefits as well. I have an event in January and some personal vanity goals.

I have come to know my body, and as a former sports person, this (for me) is easy compared to 3 hour sessions. If I saw a 2 or below for glucose I would take action to correct; AGAIN for those who are new to this 4 or even 5's could be uncomfortable / inappropriate and perhaps 16 hour fasts would be a good safe start.

I will not being doing dry fasts for over 3 days and definitely not with exercise.

My body has adjusted as below, ketones are fine in the nutritional level and nowhere near diabetic ketoacidosis levels which tend to be double figures.
upload_2018-11-8_0-5-20.png

Last edited:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand the food fast, but think that women's and men's bodies differ so much that as a woman I would never do an extended one.

I have never heard of a dry fast before. I personally would never do one because I had low kidney function about 10 years ago and I have nursed my kidneys back to health and wouldn't want to cause another problem.

My Aunt is elderly and a brain scan a couple of months ago showed that her brain had shrunk due to not eating and drinking enough in the hot weather. They say this shrinkage is permanent. She did drink more than usual, but not enough.

So I am concerned that dry fasts could be a problem for some and am glad that you have put a warning that no-one should go into it without research and without trying things slowly.

Good luck :)

Reactions: Fit725 and Freema

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all and welcome back
So this mornings numbers are as follows
FBG 4.1
Ketones 4.1
Weight 202.4 pounds
Body Fat 26.8 %
Visceral fat 11 a new low for me
BMI 27.4

Slept ok... dog woke us up at 3.15 so slightly disturbed night Apart from that feeling good ..eggs last night were very tasty.. so will probably repeat tonight.

Reactions: Freema

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Morning all and welcome back
So this mornings numbers are as follows
FBG 4.1
Ketones 4.1
Weight 202.4 pounds
Body Fat 26.8 %
Visceral fat 11 a new low for me
BMI 27.4

Slept ok... dog woke us up at 3.15 so slightly disturbed night Apart from that feeling good ..eggs last night were very tasty.. so will probably repeat tonight.
Excellent results. Visceral fat into normal range! For me this is a top 3 key marker. I am off to the gym to work (not workout) to get measured.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent results. Visceral fat into normal range! For me this is a top 3 key marker. I am off to the gym to work (not workout) to get measured.
Indeed the lowest I have ever seen it...I think that today I am at the lowest weight I have been in my adult life!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How did I miss this thread?
Reading with interest :)

And yes, @bulkbiker am totally in agreement with you over the absolute necessity for cream in coffee.
I would rather drink water than black coffee.
Mind you, I would rather drink water than about 95% of the drinks on the market... :D and I drink a LOT of water.

Reactions: Freema and zand

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Today I will be breaking my fast, as unfortunately for me my muscle wastage has continued and as per yesterday translates to fat in my case - weird. I pulled back on the training yesterday as Fitbit shows, but as a techie I have to respect the results that up to 2 days is optimum for me. I know I get the results I seek on OMAD / IF and exercise, and up to 2 days of extended fasting, so that's my settled protocol.

upload_2018-11-8_14-41-44.png

upload_2018-11-8_11-9-33.png

upload_2018-11-8_11-12-13.png

upload_2018-11-8_11-14-44.png

upload_2018-11-8_11-11-22.png

So I am stopping after 91 hours with the following:

upload_2018-11-8_14-43-15.png

I will now push on and see what almost 4 days back on the OMAD does. My expectation is for my weight to go to 85 kg, visceral 6 %, BMR 2149

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fare ye well fellow faster.. well I had eggs yesterday and will have some more tonight so I guess 95 hours proper fasting... will carry on with just the eggs and butter (coffee and cream and tea with lactofree as usual) until saturday dinner. Prob roast chicken.

Reactions: Freema and porl69

eddie07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand the food fast, but think that women's and men's bodies differ so much that as a woman I would never do an extended one.

I have never heard of a dry fast before. I personally would never do one because I had low kidney function about 10 years ago and I have nursed my kidneys back to health and wouldn't want to cause another problem.

My Aunt is elderly and a brain scan a couple of months ago showed that her brain had shrunk due to not eating and drinking enough in the hot weather. They say this shrinkage is permanent. She did drink more than usual, but not enough.

So I am concerned that dry fasts could be a problem for some and am glad that you have put a warning that no-one should go into it without research and without trying things slowly.

Good luck :)
Interesting 1st time hearing fasting or lack of fluids causing brain to shrink.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Amazing results. Do you plan on continuing with the fast?
I added in some eggs and butter yesterday so will continue with those today and tomorrow then will break with a proper meal on Saturday. Oddly lost the most weight between yesterday and today so maybe the eggs help.. will have another check tomorrow.
I think eating one meal of 4 eggs and a bit of butter makes the whole process far easier to stick to as well as have something to do in the evening when hubs is cooking his dinner!

eddie07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Afternoon readings
BG 4.3
Ketones 4.9

Just the usual teas and coffees today
Poached egg and butter later.. no hunger feel great..
Your ratio between BG and Ketones is almost 1:1 which implies that you are now in fat burning mode.
Great results.
As for me I'll try to collate all the numbers and update tomorrow hopefully.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
here's a very small study on dry fasting over 5 days.
Surely the body just makes up the water loss (and therefore the weight) when you start drinking again? I know that the first week of a 'food' diet results in fluid loss but restricting fluids sounds dodgy to me too! I am a blood donor and although I lose weight after donation (that is partly through fluid loss and partly through losing 5oo calories (I think)), my body soon makes it up.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tonights update

BG 4.6
Ketones 4.1

Usual raise in BG and lowering of blood ketones that I see normally when fasting seems my body get used to it!

Todays intake

Screenshot 2018-11-08 at 22.52.16.png

again had 4 eggs poached and 20 of butter and jolly nice it was too. I may have cracked (pardon the pun) poached eggs just like the chefs do..might even take a picture tomorrow.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all..numbers for this morning are as follows

FBG 4.5
Ketones 4.3
Weight 201.6 tantalisingly close to 200 (or sub 200 which is my ultimate aim!)
BF 27.1%
VF 11
BMI 27.3

So far down just over 7 pounds after 5 full days and a 2 sleeps

Feel fine slept well .. have a great day all

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Impressive! I am still struggling with OMAD. Good luck @bulbiker. Not long to go till Saturday
Like most things fasting gets easier the more you do it. Just beware that sometimes your body can get very used to OMAd and you may not get the benefits consistently its a good idea to shake it up a bit sometimes by doing a 2 or 3 meal a day every so often or of course extend the fasts a bit maybe to 47 hours.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Freema