Fasting BG - is it meaningful?

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
I've been a diet+exercise controlled T2 for about 15 years, just relying on 6-monthly Hba1c results to keep me on the straight and narrow.
However recently (after feeling pretty rubbish some mornings) I thought that I might usefully monitor my fasting glucose as this was what initially the doctor used to diagnose me as T2, so I went to the pharmacy and bought one.

My first 10 days gave me : 6.1 6.1 6.5 6.1 6.8 5.2 5.1 5.6 5.2 5.4
ave for first five days 6.3 , ave for second five days 5.4, average overall 5.8

For the life of me I cannot relate these figures to any variation in diet, exercise or alcohol. There may be a correlation with quality of sleep though. Poor sleep giving a higher BG% ... maybe...

So, is there any point me monitoring my fasting BG or is there a better use for my BG monitor now that I have it. Perhaps I should only use it if i'm feeling a bit 'iffy'?

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These would be levels that are consistent with pre-diabetes. ie well controlled Type 2 and seems to match your HbA1c.

To improve further, you may want to check your postmeal glucose levels. From my own experience a higher carb, heavier dinner will invariably lead to higher fasting glucose the next morning...

A carbs filled day kept the liver pumping out glucose all night long...
upload_2017-8-14_17-35-55.png

A lower carb dinner kept the liver happy...even though breakfast was heavy on carbs.
upload_2017-8-14_17-37-33.png

B

badcat

Ive been T2 for 20+ years
I dont routinely test on a daily basis any more but rather use my meters to
A) - test before driving ( im on meds that can cause hypos)
B) do some intensive testing if I think control may be off ( feeling iffy, higher than expected pre driving tests, any increase in hba1c on annual review, any significant change in diet etc). When doing intensive testing, I test before and 2 hr after food to see what kind of spikes im getting
In terms of sleep - poor sleep is often assosciated with high cortisol levels which in turn raises blood sugars

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Test, and of course you should. 15 years without a meter? Amazed.

Testing is vital after first bites of meals and in the morning but those figs are nonetheless OK

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Test, and of course you should. 15 years without a meter? Amazed.

Testing is vital after first bites of meals and in the morning but those figs are nonetheless OK
I guess that is why nhs don't see meters to all, financially justified.
I was lucky, in 2002 i was advised to buy my meter and gp paid for strips, lancets and more regular hba1c checks. Metformin was prescribed immediately as I'd used it previously in the London 90s pcos trials without bad side effects.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes. I believe all medics find a fasting bg an example of what kind of control any diabetic has. A quick view into what level is an average to their patient without doing a hba1c.
Ambulance crew may take a meter test in times of injury or illness but a fasting bg provides a baseline reading.
If no other testing on your meter, please test your fasting bg.
Of course before food and 2hrs after provides a load of collated information, going forward if bgs are uncontrolled.
Controlling bgs has always been tackled in 2 ways. What bgs are in rest (fasting)(basal insulin release) and in consumption (bolus insulin)?
Glucose release responds to variants inbetween.
Your fasting bg meter reading tells medics more than you would think.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Doctors no longer use a fasting BG test for diagnosis, and my surgery doesn't use them at all . Even non-diabetics having tests for other things are given the HbA1c. They know how unreliable they can be due to a variety of factors not necessarily related to food. I personally regard them as pretty meaningless.. I do still test mine, but it is habit, nothing else. The meaningful tests are before and after eating.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Fasting BG tells you more about your insulin resistance and how full your liver is of glucose then what you have than the day before. It changes a lot slower than other testing results.

I find the most useful testing time is 2hr after my evening meal, as that is when I have most carbs. Even better to test before and 1h and 2hr after every meal. That way I can change my meals when I need to.

The NHS don't see meters to all, financially justified as people just write down the numbers and take no action as that is what the nurses tell them to do.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
These would be levels that are consistent with pre-diabetes. ie well controlled Type 2 and seems to match your HbA1c. ....
Interesting graphs - are these produced from some contant monitoring device?

Reactions: Freema

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for the responses.
Over the 15 years of T2 I have made it my aim to stay off meds - successfully thus far.
I started by losing 10+kgs and moved to a low GI diet. In the last few years I have moved to a LCHF diet and attempted to coordinate what carbs I do eat with exercise.
I do eat some carby meals from time to time e.g. porridge, but not regularly. I also like a beer or three occasionally, but definitely only after a good bout of exercise, eg 5-6 hours on the bike or 8-10 miles hard running.
So I think i'll use the meter to do some sample BG responses to these carby meals so I don't inadvertently slip into any bad habits, and also take fasting readings if i'm feeling a bit iffy.