Fasting blood sugar this morning is 6.2

biren1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No matter how low carbs I eat in the night, the next day morning reading for my blood sugar is always 6.2. I take one Metformin in a day and that's too after dinner. Is 6.2 high in the morning??

Appreciate your comments.

Regards

Abz1

Wow I would love to be at 6.2 mine is extremely high I have no idea how to bring it down

Could you kindly explain what your diet includes please x

Reactions: biren1973

OB87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine is 6.2 today and is usually in the 6s. I have had some in the 4s and I've noticed that those readings seem to be when I have my dinner early the night before (5-6pm). Most times I eat quite late. There is a thread on this forum where people say what their fasting level is and a lot of them are in the 6s so probably quite average

Reactions: Abz1

biren1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow I would love to be at 6.2 mine is extremely high I have no idea how to bring it down

Hi

Thanks for your comments. I actually eat less carbs. Last night I had cabbage shallow fry with little bit oil, plus peas chat ( Peas + oil+ onions+ ginger+ tomatoes) + hemp protein powder ( as I am vegan) . I also do 14 hours of intermittent fasting ( from 6:30pm to 8:30am) followed by yoga , (sometimes meditation) plus sometimes breathing exercises before breakfast and 5k steps walk most of the days after breakfast.

But I haven't measured my readings during the day, so don't know how bg position during the days.

I am now preparing a low carbs diet timetable which may further help.

I thought BG in the morning should be 5.4 or less, am I right?

I am trying to stop taking Metformin and adapt a functional medicine with life style changes.

Regards

Reactions: Abz1

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Many T2s find that their fasting reading is the last to come down when they adopt a low carb approach. Your liver helpfully dumps out sugar first thing in the morning to help you go out and hunt mammoths (or whatever) and as a T2 your insulin resistance means that that sugar can be just a little too much to cope with. (Though 6 is still in normal range, a non diabetic would probably be 4 or 5).

Abz1

Mine is 6.2 today and is usually in the 6s. I have had some in the 4s and I've noticed that those readings seem to be when I have my dinner early the night before (5-6pm). Most times I eat quite late. There is a thread on this forum where people say what their fasting level is and a lot of them are in the 6s so probably quite average

That’s great, I believe darling early evening as your last meal gives you good readings x

Abz1

Hi

Thanks for your comments. I actually eat less carbs. Last night I had cabbage shallow fry with little bit oil, plus peas chat ( Peas + oil+ onions+ ginger+ tomatoes) + hemp protein powder ( as I am vegan) . I also do 14 hours of intermittent fasting ( from 6:30pm to 8:30am) followed by yoga , (sometimes meditation) plus sometimes breathing exercises before breakfast and 5k steps walk most of the days after breakfast.

But I haven't measured my readings during the day, so don't know how bg position during the days.

I am now preparing a low carbs diet timetable which may further help.

I thought BG in the morning should be 5.4 or less, am I right?

I am trying to stop taking Metformin and adapt a functional medicine with life style changes.

Regards

I think I need to introduce intermittent fasting and have a low carb diet I’m really bad with diets so I tend to use the treadmill off still my readings are sky high... walking like yourself is proven to reduce sugars I lack in motivation yo be honest that’s why I joined here to get a kick start x

I’m also afraid if I do intermittent fasting I will lose hair

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Howdy! What is extremely high? Are you T2?

WAGR57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No matter how low carbs I eat in the night, the next day morning reading for my blood sugar is always 6.2. I take one Metformin in a day and that's too after dinner. Is 6.2 high in the morning??

Regards

If you're average BG is 6.2 mmol/l for 3 months then your A1C would be around 5.5% or 35.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Regards
I would say that is pretty good. My meters are set to between 4.0 & 7.8 which I would take as an ideal range but your mileage may vary.
I don't panic if I flirt with 8.5 post prandial but if I remained consistently over that then I would probably trot to the GP just to check that things were not going awry. I know my Libre sensor starts to measure a little on the lower side towards the end of its 14 day life... but things usually come back into balance when a new one goes on.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold

Regards

Hi - your morning numbers are ok, don’t beat yourself up about these but what about the numbers in the day. How high do you go and when ? I was DX 4 years ago and have been low carb / keto since then. My morning numbers are often in the 6’s I’m still finding out what really works for me. I find this changes for a few months one thing works well then not. This site is great - really great about general info but I figure you have to get to know your own body in a all new and scientific kind of way. It’s an ok thing to do . It’s a more than ok thing to do

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Look up dawn phenomenon. As explained about it’s your liver giving your breakfast. Unfortunately as a type 2 it doesn’t know when to stop and overdoes it somewhat. It’s vital to see what’s happening the rest of the day, before and 2 hrs after meals. Once the rest of the day is under control then slowly the morning fasting will improve. It is still often the worst one of the day for me. There’s lots of theories about what will help. It seems very personal and I haven’t found the answer after 2 yrs. I’m usually in the 6’s first thing. Hb1ac consistently at the bottom end of prediabetic. Could it be better . Yes. Could it be worse? Hell yes.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
My last a1c was 5.1, fasting was 7.2 lol . I’m sure the high morning reading is stress related, I’m pretty high strung.

I quit testing the morning numbers... because I think it’s related to my coffee addiction, and I’m just not ready to give that up

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)

I have no idea if this works or not, but I'm going to try it because my Fasting is the only one that isn't dropping to normal levels. I just read it this a.m. and I'm not suggesting it to anyone, just something I read, but don't see anything on it here. It is suggested if you are still getting higher Fasting BS numbers try eating some Protein, or healthy fats with about 15 carbs before bed.

This was weird for me to see as I hear a lot of folks say, don't snack at night, or "they don't snack at night". I'm still going to try it because my lowest has still been a 6.0 which I know isn't horrible (I live in US btw) but this a.m. my bs was 120 mg/dl again or 6.7 mmol/l.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I have no idea if this works or not, but I'm going to try it because my Fasting is the only one that isn't dropping to normal levels. I just read it this a.m. and I'm not suggesting it to anyone, just something I read, but don't see anything on it here. It is suggested if you are still getting higher Fasting BS numbers try eating some Protein, or healthy fats with about 15 carbs before bed.

This was weird for me to see as I hear a lot of folks say, don't snack at night, or "they don't snack at night". I'm still going to try it because my lowest has still been a 6.0 which I know isn't horrible (I live in US btw) but this a.m. my bs was 120 mg/dl again or 6.7 mmol/l.
I have a snack before bed, something like cottage cheese, peanut butter or an apple and it stops the dawn phenomime in its tracts - unless I have had a bad nights sleep then its higher. I also think it takes a while for your body to start behaving, I know mine is only just behaving after 4 months and the dawn phenomime is the last to drop apparently. Its worth a go anyway :nurse:

Reactions: G0ldengirl68

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)
I have a snack before bed, something like cottage cheese, peanut butter or an apple and it stops the dawn phenomime in its tracts - unless I have had a bad nights sleep then its higher. I also think it takes a while for your body to start behaving, I know mine is only just behaving after 4 months and the dawn phenomime is the last to drop apparently. Its worth a go anyway :nurse:
No kidding?? That's fabulous Lainie! I couldn't have a snack last night because I got so use to not having anything I just couldn't put anymore food in, lol!! I do so want to try. My fasting was at 120 again this a.m. (mg/dl) so yes, I'm going to try this ;) I just bought Almond Butter again yesterday, as they didn't have it in stock for a time. I love that stuff, but I also have my Adams Peanut Butter Crunchy:D

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
No kidding?? That's fabulous Lainie! I couldn't have a snack last night because I got so use to not having anything I just couldn't put anymore food in, lol!! I do so want to try. My fasting was at 120 again this a.m. (mg/dl) so yes, I'm going to try this ;) I just bought Almond Butter again yesterday, as they didn't have it in stock for a time. I love that stuff, but I also have my Adams Peanut Butter Crunchy:D
It works for me I had half an apple (a small one), slapped a bit of peanut butter on it - I just managed to eat it! I don't eat feel hungry until about 1pm the following day, so it must be working. I have to sleep well though otherwise it effects the blood glucose readings, everyone is different.

Reactions: G0ldengirl68

Buxtonstill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Everybody is different. Don’t take any notice of the ‘what was your fasting glucose’ thread on here. It’s not a competition. Ask your health professional for advice as they are the only one with your medical history/stats in front of them and the only people qualified to give you an answer.

Reactions: KK123