Fasting Blood Sugar this morning + yesterday's food AND physical activity

AGC_68

FBG 6.5

Yesterday's food:
B: Skipped
L: Sumac roasted chicken salad (Spinach, broccoli, red onions, pomegranate seeds)
D: Halloumi, black chickpea hummus and salad. Pudding: a small keto ice cream

Activity

Steps: ~6000

Workout straight after work

dynamic stretching

50 chin ups
100 press ups
100 shoulder presses (18 kg dumbbells)
200 squats
100 crunches

static stretches

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you feeling ok?
There seems to be something missing from your food yesterday & I don’t mean breakfast, no cauliflower rice is there a national shortage of cauliflowers?
Do you do 100 push-ups in one go or in sets, I’ve seen my trainer do 100 in one go with a weighted vest on, 10x 6 minute intervals done on treadmill this morning

AGC_68

Are you feeling ok?
There seems to be something missing from your food yesterday & I don’t mean breakfast, no cauliflower rice is there a national shortage of cauliflowers?
Do you do 100 push-ups in one go or in sets, I’ve seen my trainer do 100 in one go with a weighted vest on, 10x 6 minute intervals done on treadmill this morning
Fear not .. I have this very day stocked up on some more cauliflowers!
I was worried, the cauliflower section at Morrison's was looking pretty dire, but all is back to normal.

No, the most I've ever done in one go is 86. I usually do a sets of 40, 30 and 30 to do my 100.
Squats I do in sets of 100 .. or 200 .. sometimes 300 just to get a good cardio blast out of it as well as tire the muscles out.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning
FBG libre 5.8 contour meter 4.8 (according to libre been down to 3.8 in the night, don’t think it’s accurate)
Yesterdays food
Before gym/ mug of tea & 2 cheese strings
At gym: black coffee & coconut oil, water & strawberry protein shake with almond milk
Skipped breakfast ( not hungry)
Lunch/ 3 egg omelette with cheese, tomato & red onion
D/ pack of roast ham, cherry tomatoes, Red Leicester & Brie
Exercise: treadmill intervals same as last week, just started the treadmill faster & kept turning it up, last week had watch on cardio & said 69 hours recovery, this week put on treadmill run & no recovery time, obviously need to turn speed up again next time, felt sick after & b/s was 11.4 when I got home, 20 mg of gliclazide & down to 5’s in an hour
Housework & shopping all day
Evening intermediate plank workout, 50 dumbbell halos & 50 snatches
Steps 16,893
Found a cauliflower in sainsburys last night, cauliflower cheese or rice,
You’re not seriously going to eat cauliflower rice on Christmas Day are you?
Are you having a day off exercise tomorrow?,I’m still doing gomad so have to run or walk at least a mile, have a good day

AGC_68

Good morning! :happy:
FBG: 6.1

Yesterday's food:
B: Greek Yoghurt, berries and pomegranate seeds
L: Roasted chicken leg, salad (Spinach, broccoli, red onions, pomegranate seeds, dressed with olive oil and sumac)
D: Chicken curry with cauliflower rice!! (new recipe .. mucho yummy!)

Activity

Steps: ~10000

Workout straight after work

dynamic stretching

50 chin ups
100 regular press ups
50 pike press ups
50 close stance press ups
200 Hindu squats
100 crunches

Static stretches

Debbie Scott!! GREAT FBG results!! Both your devices are giving lower FBGs than you were getting a while back. Even if you take an average of the 2 results, that's a fantastic result. Great going!!

No, won't take a day off tomorrow. I'll get in a big burpee workout I think early in the morning, clear out some glycogen stores for the next few days :p

Tiny Tim shall have cauliflower rice this Christmas! There will also be a cabbage-and-coconut-sambol (very spicy and definitely not overcooked) to go with the roast turkey. There will be roast potatoes, but I'll be trying roast radishes myself.

I actually have some last minute shopping to do today! Can't believe I forgot some stuff yesterday!!! - mind you it was no where near as busy in the shops as I thought it would be yesterday!

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning, merry Christmas
FBG libre7.7 contour meter 6.3
Yesterday was a no medication day, only take as needed
Mug of tea & 2 spoons crunchy peanut butter on rising (experimenting on reducing morning rise)
Late breakfast/ spinach frittata
Late lunch 3 pm/ home cooked gammon, cherry tomatoes & Red Leicester
Missed dinner/ busy all day baking & prepping for today, sat down with mug of tea @6.30 & fell asleep
Exercise
5k walk early yesterday with a friend delivering Christmas cards
Steps13,772
Hope you have a lovely day today & get to see your daughter opening some presents (albeit on FaceTime) let me know what roast radishes are like, I’ve already cooked mashed swede, & made stuffing which I won’t be eating, a roast parsnip & semolina coated roast potato will fall onto my plate though just like bread sauce fell into my trolley the other night, an after eight may or may not be eaten,
Hope you enjoy your day & your daughter gets well soon so you can both enjoy some time together

AGC_68

Good morning!! Merry Christmas!
I hope you and your family have a really lovely, festive day.
Your day sounds like it was so busy yesterday!
Enjoy the food, including the roasties! It is Christmas!
Roast radishes recipe:
https://www.fatforweightloss.com.au/keto-roast-potatoes/

Great FBG again by the way .. on a no meds day!! You work hard for that. Bloody great result!

FBG 6.1

Breakfast: Skipped busy prepping for today (set enough aside for another smaller Christmas dinner for when my daughter is COVID clear)
Lunch: Chicken pakoras (made from left over roast chicken with a spicy egg and almond flour batter with spicy yoghurt dip. 4 small squares of 100% choc
Dinner: Chicken satay with cauliflower rice, Yoghurt with choc protein powder and berries for pudding.

Activity:

Walking: ~ 6000 steps

Workout squeezed in after food prep for tomorrow.

Warm up:
1 min jumping jacks
1 min high leg raises
1 min burpees

Then 4 times around the bodyweight circuit below:
10 chin ups
25 press ups (slow with pauses at top and bottom)
50 squats
25 crunches

Cool down with some hamstring stretches

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning
Hope you had a lovely day yesterday, did your daughter enjoy her day?, hopefully she’ll be covid clear in the next few days & you’ll be able to do some of the activities you had planned
FBG libre 6.2 (lying again) contour 4.8
Yesterdays food
B/ scrambled eggs on homemade toast with butter

L/ roast turkey, Lincolnshire chipolatas, bacon, 1 roast potato (sprinkled with semolina & roasted in goose fat) 1 roast parsnip, carrots, mashed swede, broccoli, tablespoon bread & cranberry sauce & turkey gravy
S: cold turkey, 2 cold chipolatas,, Red Leicester, Brie, 6 cherries & handful of marmite peanuts
Glass of gin & low calorie elderflower tonic

Exercise/
1.3 mile run first thing in 24mph wind,
Intermediate plank workout, 500 hoola hoop rotations, 50 halos, 50 dumbbell snatches, 50 kettlebell swings
1 mile walk after lunch with daughter’s lab
5k with daughter planned this morning then a 6 mile walk with Ted (lab) with family later, don’t think it’s going to happen, rain forecast all day

Daughter (pharmacist) said to have 20mg of gliclazide before lunch so I could have more carbs, looks like it worked, but won’t be doing it again anytime soon
How was you your toasted radishes?

AGC_68

Wow! Great FBGs again Debbie!
Great activity too!
Nice going!

FBG: 6.0
B: home made keto bread, toasted with butter and cheese
L: Chicken and mixed veg stir fry
D: Christmas dinner, roast turkey, roasted radishes (delish - potatoes for everyone else), stir fried sliced brussels with coconut, chilli and spices, keto brownies for me, regular brownies for everyone else, and cream.

Daughter thankfully had her second clear test yesterday. So she had Christmas lunch at her mum's and we all did a Christmas dinner at mine instead of lunch. Worked out fine. Every one is happy (how long will it last LOL).

I have to say, I don't feel drawn to the carbs anymore. I'm really surprised. Hope it stays that way!

Activity
~ 5000 steps .. weather too miserable to go out for a walk!

Workout early in the morning:
Dynamic stretching

4 times around the circuit below with no breaks:

25 inverted body rows
50 press ups
25 lunges
25 squats
25 crunches

Cool down with hamstring and quad stretches and a few sets of supermans.

Going to keep the workouts very quick and simple like this and not too demanding over the Christmas break so I can get them out of the way quick and easy.

AGC_68

FBG: 5.7
B: Omelette (3 eggs, garlic, turmeric, cumin, spinach, cheddar)
L: Skipped (family trip to the movies to watch Spiderman No Way Home
D: Spicy turkey and veg soup (Christmas dinner leftovers in coconut milk with green Thai curry paste and coriander)

Activity
~ 7000 steps .. weather too miserable to go out for a walk!

Workout early in the morning:
Dynamic stretching

4 times around the circuit below with no breaks:

8 L-sit chin ups
50 press ups
50 squats
25 crunches

Cool down with hamstring and quad stretches and a few sets of supermans.

Planned to go into town and check out the sales and help daughter spend her pocket money savings on a new computer game.
Weather is horrible though .. but once we're in the shopping mall it'll be OK. I think .. but if it is too busy we'll skip it.

Have a great day! :joyful:

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning
You fasting bag are good as usual, hope the shops weren’t too busy for you
FBG libre 8.6 contour meter 6.3 (definitely a dud)
Yesterdays food
B/ homemade cream cheese pancakes with blueberries
L/ & avocado salad, handful walnuts
Snack after gomad walk/ options mint hot chocolate made with almond milk & full ramekin of salted peanuts
D/ roast turkey sandwich (homemade keto bread) Brie, Red Leicester, 6 cherries & handful of Brazil nuts
Exercise/
1.44 mile walk dodging the rain
Intermediate plank workout
200 hoola hoop rotations
No medication
Been for a 2.5 mile run this morning & b/s has gone to 11.4 & won’t come down, 20mg of gliclazide & had to have slice of crusty soughdough toast with breakfast,
Decided if I don’t evercise before breakfast I don’t need any medication, it’s only if I exercise first, don’t think I’ll ever get the hang of it
Enjoy your day

Reactions: AGC_68

AGC_68

Good morning
You fasting bag are good as usual, hope the shops weren’t too busy for you
FBG libre 8.6 contour meter 6.3 (definitely a dud)
Yesterdays food
B/ homemade cream cheese pancakes with blueberries
L/ & avocado salad, handful walnuts
Snack after gomad walk/ options mint hot chocolate made with almond milk & full ramekin of salted peanuts
D/ roast turkey sandwich (homemade keto bread) Brie, Red Leicester, 6 cherries & handful of Brazil nuts
Exercise/
1.44 mile walk dodging the rain
Intermediate plank workout
200 hoola hoop rotations
No medication
Been for a 2.5 mile run this morning & b/s has gone to 11.4 & won’t come down, 20mg of gliclazide & had to have slice of crusty soughdough toast with breakfast,
Decided if I don’t evercise before breakfast I don’t need any medication, it’s only if I exercise first, don’t think I’ll ever get the hang of it
Enjoy your day
My cousin (a T1) uses a libre, says there is quite a margin of error, he gets 4 A1C tests a year and the A1Cs show his average BGs are better than his libre readings suggest. He's got used to what the readings really mean for him.

Your activity is great and even if your BGs go up sometimes you get them back into a good range with meds. And your activity is protecting you from the effects of higher BG. I can imagine how it must be so frustrating when these levels fluctuate. But you're doing good, sticking to the right routine and keeping healthy and fit. That's great, you and your family will reap the rewards from that. Keep doing what you're doing :)

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning
Thanks for the advice yesterday it’s very much appreciated, had to have the toast with breakfast yesterday otherwise I’d have gone from 11 down to 5’s within an hour, than when I start to feel sick, dizzy & the floor feels like it’s moving, not great
FBG libre 8.7 glucose meter 7.2
Yesterdays food
Snack 7am mug of tea, crunchy peanut butter (before run)
Breakfast/ sausage meat fried with 2 eggs, slice of soughdough toast & butter
Lunch/ cashews, Brie & cold sausages
Dinner/ turkey casserole, broccoli, Brussels & cranberry sauce, homemade blackberry keto crumble & cream, marmite peanuts
Supper/ (still hungry) cold turkey, walnuts & Brie
Good job I don’t need to count calories
Exercise/ 2.44 interval run (07.30)
3.84 mile fog walk

AGC_68

FBG 6.0
B: Yoghurt, berries and protein powder
L: Shredded turkey and courgette fritters
D: Chicken curry and cauliflower rice

Snacks: 4 squares of 100% dark choc, and some sugar free sweets here and there.

Physical activity:
~9000 steps

Workout:
Dynamic stretching 10 mins

4 times around circuit below (no breaks)
10 swings (32 kg bell)
25 bent over rows (32 kg bell)
30 press ups (both hands on bell)
10 2 handed shoulder press (32 kg bell)
25 crunches

Stretching: hamstrings and hip flexors

RHR: 54

Good walk in town with daughter, pocket money savings spent on a new Pokémon game. She is now skint but happy!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@DEBBIESCOTT, @AGC_68, I enjoy reading your posts! I don't know how the pair of you manage to fit it all in, you are heroes! I like to exercise myself but manage (on average) 4 runs a week of about 5k each, on my treadmill. I do find that on the days I run my glucose levels are lower for the following 24/36 hours. Debbie, when I go all out with my run, either by running for more than 40 minutes at a normal pace OR by running hard for any length of time (whether it be 20 mins or more or less etc), then my levels shoot up to double figures. I think this is true for just about everybody, diabetic or not, your body thinks it's in peril and very helpfully releases a variety of stress hormones, cortisol, adrenaline and so on...as well as a dose of stored glucose! For those without diabetes the body brings it down quite quickly but for those of us with diabetes of any type it can take longer. It doesn't concern me as I feel strongly that the exercise itself is doing far more good for us than simply helping us manage our diabetes. x

AGC_68

Hey there @KK123
Thanks for the kind and supportive post!

I so agree with you! The temp rise in BG is worth it for the health benefits of the exercise. If you're lucky and produce enough insulin to bring it down yourself that's great. If you need a little help from meds or insulin to do so then use them when needed. I try to get some of my family members who have T1 to go low carb, restrict their calories a bit and move more. They focus too much just on BG, they take insulin and keep the BG in a good range but without diet and exercise. If you eat way too much than you need as fuel or for maintaining muscle, then that's a lot of insulin you're going need to deal with it. That leads to all that excess getting stored away where it is not doing any good in the long term, plus having high insulin levels all the time has it's own problems. It is not just about BG as you so rightly say.

I do keep my exercise for the most part in the 70% effort range, push it to something really intense for a couple of minutes towards the end of my workout. But over the years my 70%, while it doesn't feel hard to me, has actually become quite a lot LOL. The real effort part of my workouts only last 20 or 30 mins at the most. @DEBBIESCOTT 's workouts and recipes really help keep me motivated to keep to the low carb diet and to get my workouts in as well especially on busy days when I am tempted to skip it. Although she has given me severe Peleton envy!!

@KK123 why not post your fasting levels, activity and diet regimen here too? We can all help keep each other motivated :)

Reactions: KK123

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @KK123
Thank you for your kind & supportive post
I find running outside always has me in 80% plus heart rate, but running on the treadmill doesn’t, just like running in the morning raises b/s to double figures but running in the afternoon lowers it, (think a lot of it is me having a little panic, really hate being out of breath)
Really enjoy exercise (weight lifting most of all)
@AGC_68 is motivating me to keep going, sorry I’ve been on peleton today 60 minutes endurance ride & 20 20 minutes stretch@KK123 you should join in on this thread, it would be good to see your exercise & food & may give us new ideas

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
why not post your fasting levels

Hi there, I'd feel a bit of a fraud doing that really because I can keep my fasting levels as low as I'd like because I use basal insulin. For example, if I decide not to do any exercise, I just take an extra unit or two of insulin to keep my levels within range. My morning fasting level is around 4 or 5 but that is because I have to take my basal totally independently of food and that as you know from your relatives, is what influences my fasting levels. If I do exercise then I lower my units of insulin by 1 or 2, it's an ongoing process of insulin management rather than food as such, but of course what I eat comes into it too. I actually eat around 60 carbs a day or less and I am a one meal a day person. But if you are interested in my type 1 management I will post my regime from time to time??

AGC_68

Hi there, I'd feel a bit of a fraud doing that really because I can keep my fasting levels as low as I'd like because I use basal insulin. For example, if I decide not to do any exercise, I just take an extra unit or two of insulin to keep my levels within range. My morning fasting level is around 4 or 5 but that is because I have to take my basal totally independently of food and that as you know from your relatives, is what influences my fasting levels. If I do exercise then I lower my units of insulin by 1 or 2, it's an ongoing process of insulin management rather than food as such, but of course what I eat comes into it too. I actually eat around 60 carbs a day or less and I am a one meal a day person. But if you are interested in my type 1 management I will post my regime from time to time??
Not a fraud at all mate!
Exercise is good for us all T1, T2 or any other type. I'd love to hear what you do for sure. Can give us all new ideas and motivation :)