Fasting Blood Sugars, What's the Deal?

MoorT2

Good Morning,

New Year and new goals and I really want to focus on my blood sugar levels this year - my morning FBG levels are higher than I'd like them to be.

Background to me

Diagnosed type 2 in July 2021 with HbA1C of 51, BP and cholesterol OK but very high triglycerides at 8.4.
Initially put on Metformin and Atorvastatin but at my 3 month review I stopped taking them as my HbA1C was down to 41 and triglycerides into normal range.

ALT's slightly elevated at 57 (up from 51) but that was possibly due to the statin's (I hope anyway) and HDL a bit low, around 0.8 if I remember correctly.

For those first 3 months I didn't use a meter so through exercise, weight loss (35 kg +) and eating better I was able to control my Type 2 back into normal levels. However I was keen to stop the medication and maintain or improve my blood sugar levels for my next text due end of feb / early march so I got myself a meter and have been funding this myself for the past few months.

So what's the deal with Fasting Blood Glucose Levels

Through using my meter I've discovered that I can actually tolerate things like a slice of wholemeal bread or some higher carb veggies like carrots, squash, pumpkin reasonably well. It's rare I see a spike more than 2 mmol post meal and most of the time my sugars are less than 7.8. I'm moderately low carb with a daily goal of sub 100g of (all) carbs per day. All good signs on that front.

However, my FBG levels are much higher than I would like. I've not been metering before / after meals recently but I do take my morning reading most days but I just can't seem to get them into the 5's (I take an average of at least 2 readings as my meter can be a bit all over the place with results)

Obviously without a meter I wouldn't know this is happening and since meters are not prescribed for Type 2's normally how important of FBG's for regular type 2's who are not on medication, what do they indicate and how do you bring them down? And are readings in the 7's a problem / dangerous to me?

Mine seem very random, I can have a 50-60g carb day and have a higher FBG than if I eat 80-100g's the day before. I really avoid carby snacks - don't really eat apples / banana's / pears or oranges. I may be guilty of stealing a few crisps if we have an open packet in the house but small quantities and not daily, a snack is usually some cheese, 100% cocoa / chocolate portion (20-50g), a home made Keto brownie, some ham or something along those lines.

The so called dawn phenomenon seems to be a factor, in that my post breakfast blood sugar readings are usually equal too or less than my fasting numbers.

These are my results for the past week or so:

30/12 - 6.1 mmol
31/12 - 6.7 mmol
1/1 - 6.7 mmol
3/1 - 6.6 mmol
4/1 - 7.4 mmol
5/1 - 7.1 mmol
6/1 - 7.7 mmol
7/1 - 7.1 mmol

I've been back to work since the 4th and also been having some late nights this week, that may be a factor but I don't really know what the importance of these FBG's are and if I should even be monitoring them. I've keen to hear the thoughts of this community.

Thanks
MoorT

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Those FBG readings look fine so far as the levels themselves are concerned, just an indication that youe have Dawn Phenomenon or Foot On The Floor .
However the overall rising sequence may be more of a concern. What was your BG af2hr after your last meal on those days?
Was it elevated on the 4th, 5th 6th and 7th?
Did you consume alcohol on those evenings which would naturally depress the digestion carbs in favour of dealing with the alcohol only for the rise in BG from carbs consumed with/before the alcohol to be pushed further away in time i.e. to the next morning?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Sorry, I missed the fact that you'd had some late nights.
Lack of sleep usually causes a rise in background BG as does stress, infection, injury, and various drugs including statins and steroids.
If your post evening meal BG's are on target, then don't concern yourself about the FBG's - in my experience they were stopped in their tracks by a low/zero carb breakfast. Instead, concentrate only on the things that *you can control* -so mainly what you eat .

MoorT2

I don't drink so no alcohol. Not been testing night time levels, perhaps I will.

Things that have changed this week (the 7's)
- back at work after Christmas break
- late nights and early starts (earliest bed time 0030).
- restarted exercise regime after a couple of weeks off.

That being said, numbers in the 7's aren't uncommon for me . It's more unusual for me to be on the low 6's.. hhigh 6's / low 7's are my norm.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The morning BS are usually the last to go down, I'd got into mostly normal range within 2-3 weeks on 100g but had to go down to 85g carbs to get the morning BS down enough.

Reactions: MoorT2
D

Deleted member 543160

I've been T2 for 8 years, diet controlled with no diabetics meds since 2017, and I've kept my pre and post meal levels to (mainly) pre diabetic/high normal. However, my fasting glucose levels have a mind of their own, and can be anything from low 5s to high 7s, and i've learned to let them be since my liver thinks it knows better than me as far as they're concerned. As @ianf0ster says I concentrate on the levels I can (and do) control, and my FBG figures appear to have little or no impact on my HbA1C results.

Reactions: JayBee28

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. However, my fasting glucose levels have a mind of their own, and can be anything from low 5s to high 7s, and i've learned to let them be since my liver thinks it knows better than me as far as they're concerned
That's me too!
And I've just done a month of libre to see if I can spot a pattern...nope!

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
My dawn readings are hopeless - I give up beating myself up about them now. I am trying to concentrate more on my levels during the day/eves. If I have a lousy nights sleep, anxiety etc then my levels play up. Its very hard sometimes to level them out during stressful times. I would love to be in the 5s - it has been known but I think Christmas played a part in my levels going haywire, despite exercising more than normal pushing myself a bit harder. Hopefully starting to get normal ish levels think the new meter is bit more reliable too :cool:

JayBee28

I was diagnosed Type 2 in September HBA1C 56. Eight weeks later it was 48. No meds, just very low carbs. My morning readings are 6.5 - 7.5, mostly in the 7’s. During the day I go down to in the 5’s. It’s currently 7.2 (2 hours after eating). My next HBA1C blood text will be end of Feb time. I’m not worrying about the morning at the moment.

My typical day is:
- Strawberries, full fat yoghurt and nuts for breakfast
- Omelette for lunch with mushrooms and cheese or salad with chicken
- Fish or meat with veg or lentils or salad (these don’t affect my levels)

I’m trying to control my daytime readings, hoping the morning will look after themselves in time. Not sure if this is the right approach, I’ll learn more after my next blood test.

My morning readings are higher if I have had a bad nights sleep or stressed.

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi i been doing my morning bloods for a few months now as my base line for how i am doing. Its usualy 4 to 4.5 everyday. When i was eating 3x a day my morning bloods were 5.5. The only way i could get it lower than that was to cut a meal out and give my body time to digest what i was eating. So i have a meal in the morning and something about 4-5 o clock and 2 chucks of 90% lindt chcocolate about 8 and thats it
Eating meat 3x a day (no carbs) still left my bloods at 6.5 to 7.0 and my weight had stalled at 14 stone, with my body it wasnt so much what i was eating just how often i think. Maybe thats something to consider to try and reduce your bloods a bit lower and improve your A1c :)