1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fasting discussion

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by jpscloud, Jul 11, 2019.

1. chrestomanci

chrestomanci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just adding my support @jpscloud (and to everyone else on here,) I have been doing IF and EF since diagnosis at the beginning of May. For me, fasting has happened naturally as a result of a keto diet which has helped my body get used to burning fat instead of carbs as its main fuel, then my own body fat stores, (of which there's a fair amount and which I'm very keen to get rid of.) This is why I don't get hungry so often any more. Low insulin enabling body-fat burning.

I don't plan my fasts; I listen to my body, if I'm hungry I eat, if not I let my body fuel itself by burning my own..err..flab :D

I have lost a fair bit of weight since May and have so much energy now. I'm due another Hba1c in 2 weeks so will let you know how it's impacted my blood glucose control. Good luck everyone :D

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jpscloud

jpscloud Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks @chrestomanci! Planning fasts is difficult for me too, I have to allow for things to change, but then I can fall into too much eating and too little fasting as well.

• Hug Hug x 1
  3. AloeSvea

AloeSvea Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I just finished four nights and three days not eating - with one meal in the middle cos I couldn't handle it! (That one meal made me feel soooooo much better.)

And I am very pleased to see my fasting blood glucose drop back down to prediabetes levels yesterday and today, after a worrying period of them being at diabetic levels again. (This is particularly worrying to me as I eat very low carb to keto. Which means it is my liver diabetically churning out the excess glucose.)

I am very envious of folks who can fast and not feel much hunger - that will never be the case for me. And I can't do anything seriously physical in the middle of a few-day fast without feeling like I'm going to die :). Longer periods again of no food and I have to go to bed.

But the effect on my insulin production is clearly positive (as in lowering it, which of course periods of not eating will) and therefore putting less strain on my poor ol' overworking insulin receptors valiantly trying to stop the too much glucose getting into my already overstuffed and sick cells, and the excess insulin causing all sorts of trouble. (This is a simplified version of the theory of type two diabetes I am most convinced by, at least the kind of diabetes I have.)

The idea of course is that the fasting will give me extra time, you know, alive with functioning kidneys, and arteries able to do a good enough job pushing the blood around my body, and my brain.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. jpscloud

jpscloud Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Brilliant @AloeSvea - I'm now on school hols, so extended fasting is more difficult for me, but still generally not eating more than twice per day and always feel better for a longer period between eating.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook