Feeling **** about my self all the time

malcolm myles

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
There is allways someone worse of than you, I take joy that I am injecting 4 times a day, that the injection sites sometimes bruise because it means I am alive, I got diabetes because I am on steroids for the treatment of leukaemia, I nearly died with the treatment but now I am in remission and starting to get better, the diabetes is a minor part the alternative is not worth thinking of so be happy you are alive and live your life to the full stop feeling sorry for yourself and enjoy life, remember it could be far worse.

Reactions: 4 people

Chris S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People treating me differently. This is the hand I was dealt and I'm happy to live with it. ;-)
Life with diabetes can be very very tough and it never goes away which is why it's so important to make friends with it as quickly as you can to make the most, and get the most out of the rest of your life. Include you partner in what you are doing and what diabetes is doing to you as support is vital at any stage of life. I was diagnosed at 16 and having just left school, then my parents moved to Oxfordshire and I was left in the North West alone, afraid and with no interaction with medical support. What followed wasn't pretty and I'm telling others about it for the first time right now in the hope that this tale will reach people who are struggling but have time on their side. By the time I was 22 I had drifted out of the education system, although in all honesty I was never really in it to begin with, and was a drug addicted alcoholic that was living a very dangerous lifestyle, this remained my way of life until my big moment of clarity. (Which will for now remain my only secret). I checked into a in-patient rehab programme and for the next three or four years yo-yo'd between being clean and being away with the fairies!
My 35th year was my break-through one and the detox finally sank in and on Christmas day just gone I celebrated my 8th anniversary drug free which is a great present I get to give myself every year. During that time I have gained a degree in Counselling and in Substance Abuse & Drug Misuse and until last year worked for a charity giving something back and helping others. Sadly, although entirely my own fault, I now have too many diabetic complications to work full-time and every day is a struggle to get through with retinopathy, neuropathy, fibromyalgia, depression and one or two other issues but I keep going to celebrate the fact that I'm still here and because I can offer my story as a warning to others that find themselves a little lost right now.
The most wonderful thing you have is time, you can surround yourself with knowledge and lead an amazing, normal life.
Try to remember some of these things when the fog of doubt, worry or fear surrounds you;
- You have support in many places. USE IT!!
- Talk. About how you feel and how to tackle your concerns.
- Don't bottle things up. You are never alone.
- Involve your partner, family and friends in however much you're comfortable with..
- Normalise you diabetes. We're still humans!! :)
- Follow the rules that keep you safe but learn to bend them to suit you.
- Control your diabetes. We own IT and not the other way round.
- Look for patterns in your testing, hypo's etc. Keep a neat diary!!
- Diabetes is tricky, try not to let a hypo or hyper knock your confidence. Sometimes they happen just because!

Feel free to ask anything you like if you think it might help you, good luck and whenever you can enjoy the ride because believe it or not we're no different than everyone else, we share most of the same worries as well as hopes and dreams. I hope you find all of yours.

Chrs.

Reactions: 2 people

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The thing is I don't like talking about stud to my partner and family and friends because they say they understand but they don't at the start of my diabetes they were always there now they don't seem to be bothered they just say in a drama queen xxx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Ask them to listen without adding in their comments. If they want to talk and comment, just teiterate that you wish for them to listen only.

There is a good do's and don'ts of things to say when you are a parent of a diabetic child (appropriate at any age). I gave it to my friends and family 26 years after diagnosis!!! As they always said they understood but never did.

I can't find the link, but somebody else posted it here recently.

It concerns me that they say you are a drama queen as to how things are being explained to them, how they are interpreting your chats, etc. i say this only because I have chatted to many people telling them how to treat me if I had an unrecognised hypo and about my need to test pre meals, after meals, why I use a pump and I have never had this statement made to me. What do you try to tell them that they classify you as a drama queen for?

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The thing is I don't like talking about stud to my partner and family and friends because they say they understand but they don't at the start of my diabetes they were always there now they don't seem to be bothered they just say in a drama queen xxx

That is what this site is for.

People have short attention spans, especially when it doesn't directly affect them. They all really care because its new, then a month or two in and you are still alive they think 'Well, she seems fine now, so how bad can it actually be' and then stop caring. To be honest you can't really expect people to care (at least i don't expect anyone to care about my diabetes but me). Not because people are awful, but because they do it with everything.

Did i hear someone ask for examples? well, okay, here are just a few (we have all experienced)

Friends with new babies. yep i saw that first picture, but i don't care about the other 50 lol Its all new mothers talk about! To be honest i don't care about other peoples kids. The same goes for other peoples pets - I get it, you're cat is adorable, but i don't need to hear about EVERYTHING it does.

Friends who talk to much about their jobs - If we don't work at your office or know anyone else, no one really cares THAT much about the drama between a cast of people we have never met, or even seen pictures of before. Yeah, its likely a big deal in the work place, but at home why do I need to hear about it ?

Lastly - peoples dreams. You might as well just be making up random stories, because no one really cares what you dreamt last night, because we weren't actually there.

All of these situations are basically the same to diabetes - Its something that is a really BIG deal to us, but since no one (but other diabetics) can relate, they eventually stop caring. I can't blame them because though its something that has no effect on them and aside from injecting them with insulin to cause them to Hypo, they will never understand.

So that's what these forums are for!

We welcome you to come online, and talk about anything you want, openly and without holding back, and most of us care, because we have been there, or will go there eventually.

So cheer up little camper, don't be sad!

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

My experience is that Type one is a lot easier when you meet other Type ones. The problem with Type one is that it is invisible unless one has a hypo, so not many people can actually understand it much at all, however much they may try - and some can get irritated by your caring for yourself - your testing, your not eating things at one time then eating them another time , your needing sweet stuff sometimes but not others, even your feeling a bit hypo and being a bit out of things for 5 mins, etc etc. They may not appreciate the work that you have to do round diabetes care, and may wonder why you do it, and may, unfortunately, think you are just making an issue of things, and think you look fine/healthy etc etc.

Is this maybe what you mean by the 'drama queen ' comments you mention you have had? Some people can just find it all too much to understand Type one, some may not want to, some may feel very uncomfortable as they do not really understand it, and some may even feel rather hostile. My advice, if this is what you mean - try to meet other Type ones! Good to meet on a Forum, but much better to meet in person, maybe as part of a diabetic fundraising activity? Perhaps you can contact one of the Diabetes organisations and find a type one group or activity? Or ask your GP surgery if they know of a local group. Once with other Type ones, or just one or two Type ones, you will find worries fall away, and you will find an instant connection with them, which will make things generally so much easier. Best Wishes

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I have been type 1 for nearly 52 years and I still get the odd bad day but the one thing I always remember is that I rule the diabetes it doesn't rule me.

Reactions: 4 people

kat1989

Your not alone im 25 and was only diagnosed september last year so still adjusting to it myself.
Even harder with a 3 year old to run round after and a wedding organise.
I understand completey with the partner as im the same with mine as i have to inject in my stomach and its always bruised and marked he says it doesnt bother him and knows thats just part of my life now it bothers me and makes me feel consious of my body even more then before so your not alone in that think they expect its what we have to do now to stop us being seriously ill,just talk to him how your feeling and youll find he will understand.
Just suppose with time it should get easier and more of a lifestyle then a routine hope this helps x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Your not alone im 25 and was only diagnosed september last year so still adjusting to it myself.
Even harder with a 3 year old to run round after and a wedding organise.
I understand completey with the partner as im the same with mine as i have to inject in my stomach and its always bruised and marked he says it doesnt bother him and knows thats just part of my life now it bothers me and makes me feel consious of my body even more then before so your not alone in that think they expect its what we have to do now to stop us being seriously ill,just talk to him how your feeling and youll find he will understand.
Just suppose with time it should get easier and more of a lifestyle then a routine hope this helps x

Why can't you inject elsewhere if your stomach bruises?

kat1989

Im goig to discuss with my nurse tomorrow as being newly diagnosed i carry more weight on my atomach then anywhere else so they told to inject my stomach

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Im goig to discuss with my nurse tomorrow as being newly diagnosed i carry more weight on my atomach then anywhere else so they told to inject my stomach

I injected (90% probably) of my injections and cannula a (for past 4 + years) in my bum... Sets n injections are a pain anywhere else due to the muscle I have...just a thought, that's all. They will say that it's slower in bum, but that makes it ideal for basal injections. As for bolus injections, well if it means injecting 30 mins pre food then so be it...

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ask them to listen without adding in their comments. If they want to talk and comment, just teiterate that you wish for them to listen only.

There is a good do's and don'ts of things to say when you are a parent of a diabetic child (appropriate at any age). I gave it to my friends and family 26 years after diagnosis!!! As they always said they understood but never did.

I can't find the link, but somebody else posted it here recently.

It concerns me that they say you are a drama queen as to how things are being explained to them, how they are interpreting your chats, etc. i say this only because I have chatted to many people telling them how to treat me if I had an unrecognised hypo and about my need to test pre meals, after meals, why I use a pump and I have never had this statement made to me. What do you try to tell them that they classify you as a drama queen for?
I think this is the leaflet you mentioned DD
this one is for adults:
http://behavioraldiabetesinstitute.org/print-preview/BDIAdultEtiquetteCard.pdf
this one for teens:
http://behavioraldiabetesinstitute.org/print-preview/BDITeenEtiquette.pdf

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

You're raising an interesting issue here that people tend not to mention because it's embarrassing to find that loved ones fall short of ideal sometimes. :)
Obviously, no-one should be calling you a drama queen, you know that, and it hurts or is annoying that it has happened.
Type 1s often have this sort of added pressure put on them!
Not only do they have diabetes to deal with.
They also have to cope with other people's strange ideas about it.
The important thing is not to let others stop you looking after yourself properly.

When newly diagnosed and at many times since,
  • I used to ignore my diabetes if I was too busy at work, or if testing and injecting wasn't convenient because of whatever else I was doing.
  • I would also pretend that diabetes was 'no big deal' because I didn't want my parents to feel unhappy, or my children to worry about me.
What I eventually learned - it took me a long time to learn it:rolleyes: - was that my blood sugar levels mattered, and that I COULD look after myself without upsetting other people, and that if they continued to be upset, then, sorry, but that's something THEY have to deal with.

I think @Diamattic made some really good points about this problem. One way to cope with the drama queen comment might be to ignore it? As has been said, we might annoy or bore other people with our diabetes, but other people often annoy and bore us about other things, - Football? Beer? Cars? It doesn't have to be a big deal, but just continue liking yourself and looking after yourself properly, the rest will sort itself out.

Ilya83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been dia for 6 years and still can't cope. Probably we have to wait .... Have no idea to be honest :bag:

Ilya83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is the thing you find most difficult, Ilya?

well we broke up with my gf, I've lost my job, my friends... And, yeah, inject in legs especially when you're skinny is really painfull. Dia ruined my life, my dreams...all my plans.

So I understand coralkay. I know how it feels. I can't say "hey, no worryes! Everything is Ok" cos it's NOT actually. But I know some people who don't really care about it.
Everyone is different

Sorry for being honest. You asked, I replyed :shy: