Feeling really fed up

Dontwanttoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
I am type 2 and was diagnosed about three years ago. For the last 3 mo this I've been taking Insulin once a day as well as all the other meds. I was finally getting my sugars under control was starting to get 5's and 6's. In the last couple of weeks I've been rising again. I've been having readings of anywhere between 13 & 20! I've been feeling tired and have got blurred vision and my mouth is constantly dry. I've been increasing the insulin gradually like my DN advised but bg readings don't seem to be coming down in response. I'm just really fed up with it all and need some encouragement to keep trying. Thanks for letting me rant.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What are you eating, are you carb counting?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok. Are you on statins? They can raise your bg.
Are you stressed, it can raise bg.
Have you had or are you brewing any sort of infection?

Are you just taking a background insulin? Do you bolus for meals?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you give us an example menu of what you eat, what did you eat yesterday for example? May be there’s a few more of those pesky carbs in your diet than you think?

Reactions: jjraak

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2 and was diagnosed about three years ago. For the last 3 mo this I've been taking Insulin once a day as well as all the other meds. I was finally getting my sugars under control was starting to get 5's and 6's. In the last couple of weeks I've been rising again. I've been having readings of anywhere between 13 & 20! I've been feeling tired and have got blurred vision and my mouth is constantly dry. I've been increasing the insulin gradually like my DN advised but bg readings don't seem to be coming down in response. I'm just really fed up with it all and need some encouragement to keep trying. Thanks for letting me rant.

Do you have another insulin pen you could try? Sometimes people find their insulin can become a bit less potent, either towards the end of it's 30 days out of the fridge, nearing the end of a vial or if it hasn't been stored quite right for some reason.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Are you absolutely sure you are T2 and not T1/LADA? 3 years seems quite soon to move onto insulin for a T2 who is reasonably low carb. If you are LADA then many of the T2 drugs will fail once your honeymoon period is over.....

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
One of the signs of being a type 1 versus a type 2 is needing insulin within 3 years of diagnosis. As @EllieM there is a honeymoon period that can last years where you still make some insulin until you don't. Medication and diet seemingly work at the beginning because you still make some insulin for a while. 40% of type 1's are misdiagnosed as type 2's at first.

Just keep it in mind, just in case.

Dontwanttoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
So my typical meals are
B eggs and bacon
L soup usually chicken or broccoli and stilton.
T had a chicken curry last night with cauliflour rice.

I've just started a new Insulin pen in the last week.

I'm not sure about type 1. I've got hba1c coming up December, first one since starting insulin so will find out if still going up. Will ask for more tests then if it hasn't come down.

Thanks for all your replies. It makes me feel better knowing there is someone out there to talk to.
Can you give us an example menu of what you eat, what did you eat yesterday for example? May be there’s a few more of those pesky carbs in your diet than you think?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So my typical meals are
B eggs and bacon
L soup usually chicken or broccoli and stilton.
T had a chicken curry last night with cauliflour rice.
Your diet looks good, just check the carb values of your soups and curry, especially if you didn’t make them yourself from scratch.

PS can I come for tea pls I love a chicken curry! ;)

Reactions: Dontwanttoo

Danmiluk

Have your thyroid checked b12 levels and folic acid turned out I had no folic acid in me as metformin can inhibit the bodies natural ability to absorb this and b12
Good luck

Reactions: Marie 2