Feeling the chill….

JayBee28

I was diagnosed in September HBA1C of 56, 8 weeks later HBA1C of 48. No meds, just extremely low carb, so going in the right direction.

However, the last few weeks I have really felt the cold (previously, I never felt the cold and was always warm).

Does anybody else on low carb feel the cold?

Thank you,

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes @JayBee28 I am feeling the cold much more than before, but I put it down to losing 3 stone + of insulating fat, not to eating low carb per se

Reactions: JayBee28

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Given your location, is there ever any cold for you to notice??? :):):)
Well it was pretty cold in the recovery room coming around from the general anaesthetic after I had a colonoscopy in May, I was shivering with the low temperatures in there.

Our winter is not to bad for a sub tropical area, we complain if the temp goes below 10° here mainly.

Reactions: EllieM

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in September HBA1C of 56, 8 weeks later HBA1C of 48. No meds, just extremely low carb, so going in the right direction.

However, the last few weeks I have really felt the cold (previously, I never felt the cold and was always warm).

Does anybody else on low carb feel the cold?

Thank you,
Have you lost weight at all?

I’ve definitely noticed a change in tolerating higher temperatures and feeling the cold a bit more since I have. I’m thinking for me much like @MrsA2 its just an insulation loss

may be unrelated of course for you.

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes definitely.

I've also lost 6 stone in weight (38kg/ 84lb) which I suspect may have a bit more to do with it than the low carb.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve lost almost 2 stone. However, I still have plenty of insulation to shift.
I went through a whole set of unexpected impacts from losing weight and the whole insulation aspect was one of them. I think it’s something we adapt to and whilst having to wear a bit more at winter is one thing, I hate the heat in general so being able to tolerate more in summer I feel is a worthwhile impact

congratulations on the weight loss!

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are doing really well!

Yes: I feel the cold much more since losing the extra weight, but it doesn't worry me because I'm so thrilled to have lost the weight. I'd rather dress for the cold and know that underneath I'm a great deal slimmer. I estimate I have about a stone still to lose, but I'm not bothered as the weight is still coming down bit by bit and totally painlessly.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Definitely feel the cold a lot more now I have lost weight. My hands and feet feel the effects of my weight loss, but I am not complaining as I am now skinnier than ever :)

KateS14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I definitely feel the cold more now, but suspect that's more down to weight loss. Just hope it means I can tolerate heat a bit better now - hot weather has always been the bane of my summers!

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would recommend a heated throw for lounging about on the sofa. In fact, I am tucked under mine right now! I have always been a chilly animal and I would need to set the thermostat to about 25c to be comfortable, which I don’t do. Hence, extra fleeces and a heated throw…

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I havent lot weight but since I lowered my carbs 10 years ago, I feel the cold far more. I am currently knitting myself a pair of 100% wool gloves, and plan to knit some leg warmers too.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I havent lot weight but since I lowered my carbs 10 years ago, I feel the cold far more. I am currently knitting myself a pair of 100% wool gloves, and plan to knit some leg warmers too.
That's it I am getting my knitting needles out - fed up of knitting hats and head warmers.

Reactions: lucylocket61

JayBee28

You are doing really well!

Yes: I feel the cold much more since losing the extra weight, but it doesn't worry me because I'm so thrilled to have lost the weight. I'd rather dress for the cold and know that underneath I'm a great deal slimmer. I estimate I have about a stone still to lose, but I'm not bothered as the weight is still coming down bit by bit and totally painlessly.
Thank you. Well done too