Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

This is addressed to everyone (not just the low carbers) who have fallen off their personal wagon over Xmas.
Doesn’t matter what particular wagon it is.

Every year we get posters who go AWOL around this time year. Could be the roasties, the Tin of Quality St, the extra special superdooper family recipe eggnog...
Whatever the cause, they disappear. Starts as one day, then it grows, and grows... amazing how far ‘just one more’ will take you.
Sometimes it can last til April, if you let it.

Well, I am encouraging you to get that meter back out.
Stop buying your version of kryptonite (whatever your brand of kryptonite happens to be).
And just keep reading and posting on the forum.
You will find you are very much NOT alone, and that clambering back on your particular wagon is really much easier when you aren’t going it alone.

Don’t feel guilty.
Don’t feel ashamed.
Just keep in touch.
:D
We’ve all been there.

(For those of you who are experiencing deja vue, then yes, I posted this same thing last year too. But it is just as relevant now as then, cos... you know... it happens... sometimes over and over and over again :) )

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll go first.
My dearest pesky well meaning Mr B decided that 2 large Toblerones made an excellent ‘stocking filler’.
So of course I ate them.
We’ve been binge watching The Witcher and True Detective 3 over the xmas break, and I am now afraid that I have embedded a deep association into my unconscious ‘watching the Witcher? True D? Then it’s time for a triangle, isn’t it? One triangle per episode...’

lol

fortunately, one series (and the T) are finished. Just 3 episodes left on True Det.

then the temptation will ease off. I hope. :D

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great idea @Brunneria thanks. I thought I was being good not eating anything sweet but my FBG Boxing Day was way too high and though not as bad since its still high. I am sure it was drinking lots of fizz (Champagne and Cremant) with abandon AND bread sage & onion stuffing. Its a family tradition and everyone loves it and so do I. Anyway its all over now. I also think I was eating more than I usually do. So its been taking me longer than I expected to get myself back on track but I am determined to do so. Luckily I had my A1c done just before Christmas so the next one isnt until June!
Best wishes to you all for 2020 and managing Diabetes.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great idea Brunneria! I have kept low carb and my blood sugars have behaved, however I have over indulged on the amount of food, cream and cheese in particular, so I haven’t yet dared to step on the scales! Need to reign it back but first New Year, hubby’s birthday, a weekend away with friends and a family holiday, all in January! There’s always February?! :joyful:
Edit for typo

Last edited:

Larry55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can I come and join in getting back on the wagon. For me it is not just over the Christmas period but over the last year. My son was diagnosed with kidney cancer in April and after having the kidney removed in August he is now waiting for his sixth month check up and then my son in law took an over dose but is now getting treatment so my stress levels have been very high so my last hba1c was bad.

I have spoken to my DN and I am now ready to start again so back to the low-carb board for support (I have done well in the past).

Reactions: Goldenoldy

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I come and join in getting back on the wagon. For me it is not just over the Christmas period but over the last year. My son was diagnosed with kidney cancer in April and after having the kidney removed in August he is now waiting for his sixth month check up and then my son in law took an over dose but is now getting treatment so my stress levels have been very high so my last hba1c was bad.

I have spoken to my DN and I am now ready to start again so back to the low-carb board for support (I have done well in the past).
Oh Larry you have had a lot of big challenges there. I really hope for good outcomes for both lads. We cannot change what went before but its great that you feel ready to tackle your own personal challenge going forward. I wish you all the very best.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

This is addressed to everyone (not just the low carbers) who have fallen off their personal wagon over Xmas.
Doesn’t matter what particular wagon it is.

Every year we get posters who go AWOL around this time year. Could be the roasties, the Tin of Quality St, the extra special superdooper family recipe eggnog...
Whatever the cause, they disappear. Starts as one day, then it grows, and grows... amazing how far ‘just one more’ will take you.
Sometimes it can last til April, if you let it.

Well, I am encouraging you to get that meter back out.
Stop buying your version of kryptonite (whatever your brand of kryptonite happens to be).
And just keep reading and posting on the forum.
You will find you are very much NOT alone, and that clambering back on your particular wagon is really much easier when you aren’t going it alone.

Don’t feel guilty.
Don’t feel ashamed.
Just keep in touch.
:D
We’ve all been there.

(For those of you who are experiencing deja vue, then yes, I posted this same thing last year too. But it is just as relevant now as then, cos... you know... it happens... sometimes over and over and over again :) )
Strangely enough, the holidays with my family and the in-laws, those themselves went pretty well... It was the days around them, at home with ALL that chocolate, the candy, the cookies my husband got and can't possibly eat by himself, that things went sideways. I'll be glad when the shop opens again on the 2nd of January and he takes all that stuff with him to his workplace, to share with colleagues and clients. Far, far away from me. Normally it wouldn't be such a big deal, I guess.... But there's a lot of stuff going on, anxiety, good and bad stress, and that gives me the munchies. (Mom was unwell again over Christmas with pneumonia, found out a very beloved aunt is having cardiac issues now that her lung cancer has cleared, and we're adopting two "unwanted" kitties on the 4th of January. They've been at the pound for almost a year, basically their whole lives, because they're black and not lap cats, previously feral. We're not over losing Night yet, but those two need a home.). It's just all been... A lot. I am a Christmas maniac, I love it, but we're having a friend over for a Christmas dinner today and I am so ready to be done with it all. I'm tired, and the flat is so full. (Like me. Very, very full.) We're taking the tree down tomorrow, while usually it's up until the 6th. It'll be nice to have the flat back. ;)

I'll try to quit the eating before Kornelis goes back to work, but I can't guarantee anything. At least this evening's christmas dinner is keto. :)

Hope everyone had good holidays. And if there was some falling off wagons, then that it was tasty as heck and worth the high blood sugars! If you have to pay, it'd better be enjoyable eh! :)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not sure that I fell off the wagon. I managed to cling on. I had the occasional ice cream and the odd slice of cheesecake. But plenty of lower carb higher fat food provided by our hotel in Praia da Rocha. Part of the plan was to avoid being sucked into traditional British Christmas carby foods. It worked quite well.

Incidentally whenever the wagon analogy crops up I tend to think of the song Three Wheels on My Wagon..

Reactions: WackyJacky64

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
because they're black and not lap cats, previously feral.
Jo we adopted our two aged 5 months and 9 months several years ago and they had come from a cruel home. One of them was extremely “damaged” but with patience and love and calm we gradually won her trust and they are both so lovable now. Good luck!

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
"It's the most wonderful time of the year". I have a cousin who brings a homemade baked goodie bag for me, my mom, and my sister every year. I eat 1 piece of each after supper. Plus one of my aunts brings 2 homemade pies (lemon & chocolate) for Christmas dinner. But the leftover pies go with family as part of their leftover boxes. I still test and take my medicines daily, some days are just better results than others.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I have to admit that I need to let myself fall off the wagon. That's a fault in itself.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve fallen off, and still not inclined to get back on! For us as a family Christmas celebrations last until the decks come down on the 2nd. I made a conscious decision to not worry about the numbers and either inject or eat. I have done this, not always successfully, but feel I am happy and generally fit (just did an 80 length swim fit session this morning) and by the end of the week I know I can easily reign myself in. I am a big fan of doing my best most of the time and not worrying.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria I saw this thread while I was out today and allowed myself to fall off the wagon ‘one last time’ LOL. High percentage cocoa ice cream/sorbet.

Nothing high carb has passed my lips but for too long (not just Christmas) waaay too much very low carb food has been going in, with some weight gain. So January will be get back on the wagon time. Initially in the form of World Carnivore month/Organuary, but they’re just convenient hooks for getting back on track.

Great thread!

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
First Christmas here after diagnosis and I planned to eat normal for two days. When the day's came, I tried a chocolate and it tasted just too sweet now, so only one went down. Normal Christmas fayre was eaten but with no sweets or puddings as they taste too sugary now. The following mornings the readings were 7.4 and 7.8 - So pretty well pleased with Christmas 2019.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hanks for this post Brunneria. I'll be getting back on the fasting wagon in the new year - in the meantime I'm doing some damage limitation but can't pretend I've been doing very well!

Hope everyone had a good christmas/holiday and wishing everyone a happy new year too.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Funnily enough I have found that nice lie ins have resulted in unplanned intermittent fasting all holiday. However I am also guilty of just eating TOO MUCH because it was there. Only put on a pound, but feeling sluggish. Need to chase that wagon down the road.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm. If only I knew which was the best wagon for my growing list of ailments I might try to climb on it. :arghh:

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Yay I am normal , I too have had too much chocolate cake over the holiday but i have been surprised to get a normal spike , not every time but most of the time .
I don't do lchf now but have 130 carbs or less a day and fingers crossed it seems to work. I have found though that my meals still seem to low carb , its like a habit that formed . I seem to have meat and lots of above ground veg and a very small portion of carrots and potato, i am pleased because this keeps the carbs down and i also have fresh cream eclairs after my evening meal and two hours after have a normal spike, I don't know how this will affect my next blood test but if it rises then i know i need to go lower on the carbs . For now i feel good energetic and have lost weight .
Next A1c May . but i have promised myself to be better behaved with the carbs lol

Reactions: Goldenoldy