Figs

Bluemic

I have a few minutes to chat about my latest project. It’s time for me to transplant a small conifer tree into a bigger pot, so what! But did you hear about exotic plants that are growing in this heatwave where the humidity is ok for the fig trees. I suppose it depends on whether you like figs but if there are any words of wisdom about how to add more flavour to a meal while trying out a Mediterranean diet. I would be interested to know.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
I have a few minutes to chat about my latest project. It’s time for me to transplant a small conifer tree into a bigger pot, so what! But did you hear about exotic plants that are growing in this heatwave where the humidity is ok for the fig trees. I suppose it depends on whether you like figs but if there are any words of wisdom about how to add more flavour to a meal while trying out a Mediterranean diet. I would be interested to know.

I used to have a fig tree in my very small south facing garden. It did very well. (Brown Turkey)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Figs and false teeth or dental plates do not go well together, believe me!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had a fig tree in a large pot for over 20 years now.
One year I had 2 ripe figs.
Every other year nothing as either the fruit gets killed off in the winter, or our summer isn't long enough and they don't ripen .
This year, however, I am hopeful....
My grapes are also the biggest and earliest I've ever seen them

Both plants are on sunny South facing wall in South East England

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
My neighbours' fig trees are fruiting prolifically this year and have done so for several years now. I am in the heat island of London though.

Bluemic

I’m hoping that there are some good recipes for figs. I did manage to grow a banana tree from seed plus the usual grape vine. which I was more than pleased with and no I didn’t experiment with the grapes by trying to make some wine, even though, I use to have a glass of apple cider, which of course I no longer have. Are there any diabetic alcohol drinks that are free from sugar or should I miss out the alcohol drinks altogether.
And can I use the odd glass of wine in a casserole dish.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There was a fairly large fig tree in the car park of one of the places where my husband had an office. It used to produce figs in abundance.
I went back some years later to see if there were any figs left and found that the tree had been cut down and killed, which was rather sad. The smell of a fig tree is really lovely.
I use herbs and spices to add zing to foods - it is very easy to grow Mediterranean herbs if you give them a bit of extra protection.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m hoping that there are some good recipes for figs. I did manage to grow a banana tree from seed plus the usual grape vine. which I was more than pleased with and no I didn’t experiment with the grapes by trying to make some wine, even though, I use to have a glass of apple cider, which of course I no longer have. Are there any diabetic alcohol drinks that are free from sugar or should I miss out the alcohol drinks altogether.
And can I use the odd glass of wine in a casserole dish.
Be careful with figs, they are just massive sugar bombs, grapes are the same. As to alcoholic drinks, you can certainly use some wine in sauces and casseroles. As to a wee drink an occasional glass of dry white or red wine, clear spirits like gin vodka, whisky with diet mixers (not the trendy ones like fevertree even the light has 10g sugar per bottle) stick to shwepps or soda water - make sure any lemonade or mixer says diet. Be a bit more careful with rum, sherry and port they are quite sugary . Beer cider, lager are very carb heavy, there is now some lower carb ones but I don’t really drink them so don’t know any. One I have tried is skinny lager which is 89 cals and 3g carbs a bottle, quite refreshing on a hot day

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Figs and false teeth or dental plates do not go well together, believe me!
I take my top plate out when I get the chance to get my hands on fresh figs from local growers. No pips to annoy., just enjoy when you are gumming them small enough to swallow.

I can eat a small one without doing to much damage to my bgl.

Reactions: EllieM and Oldvatr