Finding a doctor to get safely into low carb WOE

Ketorose21

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I’m in Dundee and looking for A low carb or Keto GP to help a “new to Low carb” friend who is on a lot of medication. She has diabetes T2. I’m Asking for this friend because she does not use online resources yet. She is inspired by me because I have reversed pre diabetes using diet and lifestyle.
I can offer dietary pointers but I’m not a doctor. Thanks for any information in advance.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I’m in Dundee and looking for A low carb or Keto GP to help a “new to Low carb” friend who is on a lot of medication. She has diabetes T2. I’m Asking for this friend because she does not use online resources yet. She is inspired by me because I have reversed pre diabetes using diet and lifestyle.
I can offer dietary pointers but I’m not a doctor. Thanks for any information in advance.

Not sure how up to date the map is but...

https://phcuk.org/map/

Reactions: Ketorose21

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can't find a doctor locally you might use your online skills to locate a copy of Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution for your friend - I like the 2003 edition, but they all have good information. They used to be available for very little money some years ago.
It is not as though eating low carb is, of itself, dangerous - a list of low carb options and a blood glucose meter should suffice for most people once the concept is grasped....
Low carbing can mean that medication needs to be reduced - tablets for high blood pressure is a common one, but a visit to the prescribing surgery should sort that out. Worth it just to see the expression on the testers face. Even more amusing when they go out and get another meter because theirs is showing normal so it must be faulty.

Last edited:

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If she's on medication for diabetes and goes low carb she needs a meter, knowledge of what the start of a hypo. feels like, and some form of glucose to treat said hypo if it occurs. There is data on this site about all three, just use the search facility.

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Shopping around for a GP and moving surgeries is hard enough as it is without the added hassle of trying to find a GP who has any let alone diabetic nutritional training (it's not part of the doctor training course). Diabetic nurses are also taught within the Government approved health guidelines, which for diabetics are abysmal and guaranteed to keep you ill.
Good luck in finding your Dr. Fung.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Most GPs and some nurses know little about nutrition so be aware of that. Unless your friend is on Gliclazide or similar the risk of hypos when low-carbing will be low. Yes, having a meter makes sense. Other than that just keep the carbs down and have enough of other foods such as veg, non-tropical fruit, fats and proteins. Luckily my DN told me to keep my carbs down to get my HBA1c back on track - she hasn't been sacked yet for not following NHS nonsense nutritional guidelines.

Ketorose21

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hoping this post will be seen by everyone who has shared here. Many thanks to everyone and my friend read all this with interest because it is all helpful.

Reactions: Energize

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hoping this post will be seen by everyone who has shared here. Many thanks to everyone and my friend read all this with interest because it is all helpful.

Ketorose, I was about to post the same map as @bulkbiker already has. According to the map, Fort William or Edinburgh are their nearest contacts, however, both are a bit of a step from Dundee.

In your shoes, I'd consider contacting the PHC UK info email address. I feel sure they'd be keen to help, where they can: https://phcuk.org/contact/

I do hope you can find someone to support your friend professionally.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found a book by Jenny Ruhl that was very helpful and started my journey here. It was called Blood Sugar 101. Up till then I was solid Eatwell and heavily medicated. Different story now.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd guess at Way Of Eating.
Or Way of Existing aka lifestyle changes.

Edit to add: My GP was initially against LCHF, and referred me to a nutrition consultant. I took my spreadsheet printouts that showed my bgl diving down, and I was given a bgl meter and strips since I was getting close to hypoland. My strips still continue to this day, and now my GP is amazed at my recovery. BUT he does not endorse my WOE, or give any other patients the advice. Apparently I am the only one that has shown good control consistently and come off most of my diabetes meds. But his NHS contract forbids him giving advice that is not evidence based. (apparently Eatwell is solidly evidence based?)

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But his NHS contract forbids him giving advice that is not evidence based.
Whatever happened to "individualised care" that GP's are supposed to do..
As Low Carb Prog and the RCGP low carb module are both NHS sanctioned then I think his excuse is a tad outdated.. maybe ask them to do the RCGP module on low carb..

Reactions: lessci and Redshank

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Or Way of Existing aka lifestyle changes.

Edit to add: My GP was initially against LCHF, and referred me to a nutrition consultant. I took my spreadsheet printouts that showed my bgl diving down, and I was given a bgl meter and strips since I was getting close to hypoland. My strips still continue to this day, and now my GP is amazed at my recovery. BUT he does not endorse my WOE, or give any other patients the advice. Apparently I am the only one that has shown good control consistently and come off most of my diabetes meds. But his NHS contract forbids him giving advice that is not evidence based. (apparently Eatwell is solidly evidence based?)
Then he should look a bit more - plenty 'evidence' around on here ;)

Reactions: AloeSvea

Robertgray30

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't understand the original question. As far as understand things a uk resident has to use their local GP. A person cannot decide to find a more sympathetic GP from a different area.
I recently paid a visit to my GP about a couple of things. ( I have never seen the same GP in consecutive appointments.). This time there was a new GP there ( a locum I think). My usual contact is a practice nurse
I discussed hearing and then informed her that I had been given a free Contour Next to monitor my blood sugars and wanted a prescription for the Lancets and test strips which she provided. But, was informed that the surgery do not normally provide these unless diabetes is not well controlled. Not sure as this balances up against good diabetes control. I was left feeling that I will not ask again.
Asking at the Chemist about the cost to purchase these I was told a figure of £22+ and £7+. This is an expense I would need to think about and wondered if many of the members had the same issues with GPs and the purchase the items themselves

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't understand the original question. As far as understand things a uk resident has to use their local GP. A person cannot decide to find a more sympathetic GP from a different area.
I recently paid a visit to my GP about a couple of things. ( I have never seen the same GP in consecutive appointments.). This time there was a new GP there ( a locum I think). My usual contact is a practice nurse
I discussed hearing and then informed her that I had been given a free Contour Next to monitor my blood sugars and wanted a prescription for the Lancets and test strips which she provided. But, was informed that the surgery do not normally provide these unless diabetes is not well controlled. Not sure as this balances up against good diabetes control. I was left feeling that I will not ask again.
Asking at the Chemist about the cost to purchase these I was told a figure of £22+ and £7+. This is an expense I would need to think about and wondered if many of the members had the same issues with GPs and the purchase the items themselves
There are private GP's