First 24 Hour Fast. Uh... What?!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I tried a 24 hour fast for the first time. It went better than I anticipated, and by the time the 24 hrs were over, I was at 4.1... Naturally, I over-ate when the fast was broken. But I'm fairly certain I didn't go over 10 to 15 grams of carbs. (I do keto, usually it's 20 or less per day). This morning I woke to 6.5 though. I'd expected something lower after a day like yesterday. It could be the warm weather, or recent stress... But I just found it puzzling. Normally I am a mmol/l lower in the a.m, hovering between 5 and 5.5... Or am I just expecting too much? I'd like to make the 24 hour fast a regular thing, once or twice a week, so I'm just wondering what to expect. Thanks!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I praise your experiment but please please don't binge after your next one.
This is very very dangerous. Fluctuating from very good to high bgs is more damaging than not fluctuating.
Please sort out your contingency plan first before starting another fast.
Preparation makes all the difference.
What was your contingency plan? To justify overeating?
Don't take this as a telling off but a blunt warning of how arteries get damaged by such a reflux and can dislodge calcium/plaque in your artery lining. Resulting in stroke or heartattack.
Please keep away from extreme fluctuations in the name of a good health choice.

Next fast make sure after fast plan is stronger than fast arrangement itself. After a fast your body is craving food as your brain has been starved. Your brain will win.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I praise your experiment but please please don't binge after your next one.
This is very very dangerous. Fluctuating from very good to high bgs is more damaging than not fluctuating.
Please sort out your contingency plan first before starting another fast.
Preparation makes all the difference.
What was your contingency plan? To justify overeating?
Don't take this as a telling off but a blunt warning of how arteries get damaged by such a reflux and can dislodge calcium/plaque in your artery lining. Resulting in stroke or heartattack.
Please keep away from extreme fluctuations in the name of a good health choice.

Next fast make sure after fast plan is stronger than fast arrangement itself. After a fast your body is craving food as your brain has been starved. Your brain will win.
Didn't exactly binge... I don't think. Most of what I ate was low carb, just more than I usually would. (Half a portion extra of broccoli-rice, and admittedly, one spoonful of potatoes, which I usually don't touch...) Two hours after eating I was at 6.0, which is okay if my starting point was 4.1... Right? Maybe I did get started a little too soon and went in blind. Haven't finished Dr. Fung's book, just thought I'd give it a go, as I liked what I'd read so far. I'll keep reading and won't try again until I know what I'm doing. (Strokes, clots and heartattacks run in the family, so you got my attention!). Contingency plan. Fast plan... Didn't know I'd need any of that, so back to the books I go! Thanks! Much appreciated!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Didn't exactly binge... I don't think. Most of what I ate was low carb, just more than I usually would. (Half a portion extra of broccoli-rice, and admittedly, one spoonful of potatoes, which I usually don't touch...) Two hours after eating I was at 6.0, which is okay if my starting point was 4.1... Right? Maybe I did get started a little too soon and went in blind. Haven't finished Dr. Fung's book, just thought I'd give it a go, as I liked what I'd read so far. I'll keep reading and won't try again until I know what I'm doing. (Strokes, clots and heartattacks run in the family, so you got my attention!). Contingency plan. Fast plan... Didn't know I'd need any of that, so back to the books I go! Thanks! Much appreciated!
You are brilliant for experimenting but do it with as little risk as possible. Any experiment with your health. We are vunerable to a degree.
Well done on your venture thou. Very well done. :)

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are brilliant for experimenting but do it with as little risk as possible. Any experiment with your health. We are vunerable to a degree.
Well done on your venture thou. Very well done. :)
Again, thank you!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I just ask the timings of your fast period? When did you start and break please?
Had a regular dinner around 6, which was cauliflower rice, bacon, cheese & meat, and broke the fast 24 hours later at dinner at 6 again, with broccoli rice, bacon, a tiny little bit of potato, and meat... Just had more broccoli than I normally do, and the bit of potato was an exception...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a regular dinner around 6, which was cauliflower rice, bacon, cheese & meat, and broke the fast 24 hours later at dinner at 6 again, with broccoli rice, bacon, a tiny little bit of potato, and meat... Just had more broccoli than I normally do, and the bit of potato was an exception...
Ok that all sounds pretty normal maybe the potato after no carbs for a while had a bit of an effect. I certainly would in no way describe that as a "binge" so don't worry about that. Not sure I would describe an FBG of 6.5 as excessively "high" either. I quite often get higher FBG's after a fast just one of those things as they are usually lowest during the fast itself. I reckon it's just my body getting it own back.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My BG levels are far more stable if I eat early and then late in the day, with a 12 hour gap sometimes - and it is something I can do every day rather than as a special effort.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, you guys...! Feeling better about it already.