First appointment

stevesellars

So i was diagnosed type 2 non medication last month, been and had my first appointment with the nurse. Asked loads of questions but didn't really get answers and the ones i did were a little bit sketchy. I need a life style change! Just got off the phone with Occasional Health they have but me as med to high on the risk assessment. Because of the profession i do! He has said to lower the risk i would need to drop my weight and my HBA1C and my BMI but as im well build BMI out the window. But how do i check my HBA1C?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Im new to thing, my glucose was at 60, how do i check my glucose?

OK, that 60 was probably your hba1c (assuming you are in the UK, other countries use different units). It's high enough for a diagnosis but not too bad for a new T2. (Non diabetics would be 40ish or below, official diagnosis is at 48). Lots of the folk on here can get their levels back to normal by restricting the amount of carbs they eat. As a T2 your body doesn't process carbs well (think of it a bit like someone who is gluten intolerant only in your case you are insulin resistant) and your pancreas produces more and more insulin to attempt to keep your levels down. A side effect of lots of insulin and higher blood sugars is weight gain, so many folk find that their weight automatically comes down when they reduce the carb load to one their body can cope with.

Here's a link to @JoKalsbeek 's excellent intro to T2 and low carb eating....
https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html

Edited to add - an hba1c is a snapshot of your average blood sugar over the last 3 months.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welome,

Unfortunately many people find that they don't get the help they need when diagnosed. The good news is that you have found this site. Read the link you've been given- it is truely awesome and will provide a short cut to some of the info you need.

Read around this site and ask questions- many of us have been where you are now. Don't despair- read the success stories part of the forum- I found those stories really helpful and still read them particularly when I don't feel very positive.

I use an app- MySugr which after a few days of regular testing gives you an estimated HbA1c. I find this helpful and encouraging.

Many of the medical profession don't agree with the low carb way of eating but for me it brought my blood sugar levels into the normal range. Trust your meter- it doesn't have an agenda or any biases. I find that it gives you great and also immediate feedback on what your levels are./ This allows you to make the best decisions for your body.

Post if you have any questions want support or just want to vent. This forum is full of probably the most amazing people (excluding my husband) in the world- it has made all the difference to my life.

Good luck and welcome.

Reactions: lessci and EllieM