First ever post - 7 months as a T1 with no medication needs help!!...

Michelle6557

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
I'm posting for the first time and am feeling really low. I could do with some friendly words as I don't know anyone with diabetes and if one more well-meaning relative asks why I don't want to eat cake or come over for a pizza, I think i'll scream!
I'm in a grey area... Sugar was picked up in a random urine test 18 months ago and I was diagnosed as 'pre-diabetic' for a year, even though my fasting readings were creeping into the high 7s. I was told that I was developing T2 diabetes, but thanks to this forum and other info on the internet about LADA and Type 1.5, I persuaded my reluctant doctor to send me to a consultant for antibodies tests. I've never been so unhappy to be right.! I tested strongly positive both for GAD and IA2 antibodies. A C-peptide urine test confirmed that I am T1. I am officially described as "an unusual form of slow onset T1". I changed to a very low-carb diet a year ago and have kept my BS numbers under reasonable control. I am on no medication and am classified as diet-controlled.

My BS levels are slowly creeping up and the reality that full-blown insulin-dependent T1 is on the way is terrifying the you-know-what out of me. It is has been quite nice to feel in control for the past year with my careful but enjoyable diet and very frequent blood testing. I'd love to hear from anyone who has been or is in the same 'grey area' as me. What should I expect to happen when I first start on insulin, bearing in mind that T1 hasn't developed overnight? Any help or ideas appreciated. I don't know anything about using insulin, other than that there is basal and bolus. Thanks.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Michelle6557
welcome to the forum :)
sorry can't specifically help but i know some great people on here @LucySW and @Daibell
that should be able to offer some support

all the best !!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. It does sound like your LADA is coming on very slowly which is not unusual. I wonder why the consultant thinks it's an 'unusual form' which it may be? Many LADAs like myself may go thru some tablets before insulin such as Gliclazide and a Gliptin but going onto insulin earlier rather than later is best (I didn't). There are two typical insulin regimes i.e. mixed and Basal/Bolus. Mixed is often given to T2s who need some insulin or in the early stages of LADA. Many like myself would say that Basal/Bolus is always best as it gives you complete control at the cost of more injections. The Basal 24 hr insulin counteracts the liver's continuous background output of glycogen (glucose) and is taken once or twice a day. The fast-acting Bolus is taken at mealtimes and the amount is chosen to match the carbs in the meal. As and when you go onto insulin do ask for more detail. Although the 4 or 5 injections per day may sound a bit daunting, you do get used to it being part of daily life and you have complete control. You do need to test before and during driving to check for hypos as taking too much insulin can push blood sugar down too low. BTW keeping the carbs down still helps avoid weight gain even with insulin but the nice thing is you can pig-out occasionally and inject more Bolus to match!

Reactions: 4 people