First hurdle passed, Thank you so much DCUK.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I Like the idea that people post in here of success etc.

we all start off wondering where to post our first words on the Forum, and then most likely end up having a favourite thread,
(i know i do.)
A place were all our on-line friends gather around at certain times, usually hoping the numbers are as good as expected,
and ready to rally around if not..or pat you on the back if good.

But sometimes we ALL need to read those success stories, regardless of where else they were posted.
they serve to remind us it's not all doom and gloom, and for many the way might be long, but the journey is SO worth it.

I came on as a bedraggled specimen, like many of us were, just grateful to crawl ashore, anywhere,
shocked to the core at that initial first OFFICIAL announcement that our lives have changed forever.

I struggled, for a few weeks after being diagnosed, but with the food regime, constant hunger and the darkness of it all, i knew i wouldn't be long before i went under.

So the DCUK came to my aid just in time.

So now it's payback time.

I weighed in originally at 16st 13lbs..AND i only weighed myself after the first week or two of a starvation diet.
previous to that i was easily on my way to 18st, if i'm honest with myself.

So a massive THANK YOU to all who read my early posts, posted in advice, and simply took the time to calm me down and point me in the right direction for what to eat and what to read up on.

I may not of said it at the time, but you'll never know how grateful i was for the help so freely given.

I've just had my first proper HBA1c since joining the forum..
( i had 2 before proper diagnosis of 56..then after eating gruel for 3 weeks..it went to 57..AAGGHHH !! )

You all saved me and my latest results were HBA1c of 42.....thanks to all your efforts.

Can't thank you enough, so i'll just say that now i'll try my best to 'pay forward' the help you gave me,
to the next ones who land on these shores, looking for help warmth and comfort from the storm.

Yours sincerely.
A most Grateful Member

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
i'll try my best to 'pay forward' the help you gave me,
Ah another night owl. That's great news, not that you're a night owl, but you've crawled ashore and way inland. I love the 'pay forward' idea, and I also love hanging around here. It's such a place of hope and optimism, isn't it? Very motivating. :)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also love hanging around here. It's such a place of hope and optimism, isn't it? Very motivating. :)

indeed it is..someone likened it to luigi mansion..,a nintendo game... in the fact some 'rooms' are friendly
and some are a bit more fierce.

so i like wandering into other areas that i don't know so well,
most while fascinating, i don't engage in, as the conversation matter is so far above my head.
every day on here is like a schoolday, there is SO much to learn, if your interested.

but i really am just finding my way around.
Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
as the conversation matter is so above my head.
And mine too :hilarious: I do take a lot of interest in trying to stay as healthy as possible for as long as possible, but I'm def not your geek. I try to keep it simple. I have learned so much in here, and since going keto and actually trying to log my macros and being less laissez faire about it (I'm no expert) my BGs have come further down.

Reactions: shelley262 and Fenn

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done! Keep up the good work jjraak! That’s a fantastic drop in HbA1c. I too love the idea of giving back as my feelings of shock on diagnosis are still a very clear memory. This forum was my saviour too :)

Reactions: Roulis

MartinK9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

You all saved me and my latest results were HBA1c of 42.....thanks to all your efforts.

Don't sell yourself short my friend.

All YOUR efforts.

Congratulations and keep it up. :)

M

Member496333

It only gets easier from here. Armed with knowledge this condition doesn’t have to be a life sentence. Personally I enjoy my life now far more than I ever did pre diagnosis. Happier, healthier, and with a new found relationship with food, nature, and my body.

We live out our lives in a wonderful biological machine, and you are now on the righteous path to understanding the true majesty of it all. I believe that this insatiable appetite for knowledge can be used as a powerful tool for continued improvement and enjoyment of your new life.

And...as if that wasn’t enough, the weekend is inbound...about to touch down on deck! :D

Reactions: Roulis

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on your achievements a major turn around in record time once you’d worked out that the low fat gruel diet wasn’t going to cut it on the bgs and all done with humour too!
Brilliant too that you are going to stick around - we appreciate all your contributions to the forum plus it’s good to keep checking in to keep things going and/or staying in the right direction. I maintain these days but find it’s good for me that I record what I eat and my fasting bgs it keeps me on track on the many many days that sugar temptations wave at me!
Well done you superstar.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exceellent news sir well done indeed.... and it's you that has done it we are simply the signposts.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Loving all the positive responses,

and true though much of it is, you are doing yourselves a grave disservice.

You may have felt you gave little, and as @bulkbiker , puts it ..you simply pointed out the signposts,

But it wasn't what you did, it was the manner in which you all did it, and still do it on a daily basis,
each in his or hers own inimitable way, yet all sharing that same DNA.

And for me, the new kid in a strange town, on my first day at my new high school, in my first year of big school.
i'm inside the gates, brand new no name brand holdall, slung over my neck, shirt hanging out and tie askew, one shoelace undone, late for my first class, and now desperately looking for a classroom i have now clue how to find,
you were my saviours.

What to you was a simple nod or a polite hi, meant so much more to me, and those in the same shoes.
You MIGHT not have saved my life, per se, but you most definitely saved my sanity with your kind acts.

You gave me courage to TRY.....you gave me confidence to not only listen, but to SPEAK up.
I may have been doing the pedalling and steering, but it was you who showed my how to ride the bike,
while i was enjoying the view, it's was YOU behind me, guiding me, and when i finally rode off without help,

YOU were one of the first to pat me on the back and congratulate me...and all the others you have helped before and since.

Your grace and kindness ( and the kindness of so many others on the forum),
inspired me then, as it does now.

Long may it continue.

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A great read with an even better outcome! WTG. Well done on your fab results.

It's a fantastic forum, DCUK, packed with so much information, good guidance, a helping hand when needed, a gentle nudge, a pat on the back, from friendly people who understand what each other is going through. No better place on the WWW than on here.

Last edited: