Flu jab 2010/2011

anniep

Re: Flu jab 2010.

The BBC news website front page headline is '300 people in hosptial with flu' at the moment. Not what you want at Christmas..

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*

anniep said:
The BBC news website front page headline is '300 people in hosptial with flu' at the moment. Not what you want at Christmas..

Or at any other time with diabetes as a companion.

anniep

Hobs said:
anniep said:

Or at any other time with diabetes as a companion.

Absolutely not, as what the headline actually said was that there were 300 people in intensive care - scary

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

anniep said:
Absolutely not, as what the headline actually said was that there were 300 people in intensive care - scary

Your correct anniep and with 300 patients in Intensive Care Units the number of flu patients actually in hospital is likely to be many thousands. Very very scary

anniep

Sid Bonkers said:
anniep said:

Your correct anniep and with 300 patients in Intensive Care Units the number of flu patients actually in hospital is likely to be many thousands. Very very scary

And so the numbers suffering at home will be considerably higher again.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

There was a gp on Radio 2 yesterday urging all people in the 'at risk group' to getting vaccinated as a matter of urgency.

Nigel

jakeatyork

winter flu jab

hi everyone just a question about this years flu jab, as we know the flu jab this year contains the swine flu vaccine, whether you want it or not,no opt out available,has this put anyone off haveing their jab ,??? i personally refused mine as i am not 100% convinced about the safetey of this vaccine,whats everyone elses thoughts as i am now starting to worry about not being immunised,2 years after heart bypass surgery and also type 2.what do you all think.

regards jake :shock:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Personally......I think you should have the jab. You are at a much higher risk. I too had a CABG x 3 back in 2004 and to me prevention is way better than any possible side effects. Never had any apart from once when I felt a bit 'fluey' for a few days after the jab. Nothing really. I once had Asian Flu and nearly died, ended up in Hospital so I am a firm believer in taking precautions.......if you know what I mean. :wink:

Ever since the Flu jab has been available I have always had it and the Pneumo jab too.

However, it is your choice........ :)

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*

cugila said:
Personally......I think you should have the jab. You are at a much higher risk. I too had a CABG x 3 back in 2004 and to me prevention is way better than any possible side effects. Never had any apart from once when I felt a bit 'fluey' for a few days after the jab. Nothing really. I once had Asian Flu and nearly died, ended up in Hospital so I am a firm believer in taking precautions.......if you know what I mean. :wink:

Ever since the Flu jab has been available I have always had it and the Pneumo jab too.

However, it is your choice........ :)

Absolutely ...and well put too ... prevention is always better that cure!

anniep

The vaccine contains the main virus strands circulating each year, they are never offered seperatly.
There was a lot of media hype last year about the way that the vaccine was tested, but health experts at the time said it was exactly the same way that the seasonl flu vaccines are tested every year.

A quote form the BBC news web site -
"Mr Lansley said people should not be concerned about the vaccine.

"The seasonal flu vaccine is decided internationally by the World Health Organization, we can see now that this swine flu, plus influenza B plus another flu strain is circulating. The flu vaccine is an effective vaccination against that," he said."

I haven't seen any news reports of damage thorugh the vaccine but there are 27 people dead, and another 460 in intensive care. I've had the flu in the past and that's enough for me I have the jab every year because I'm not risking health!

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pumping and flu jab

If you are on a pump does it change your decision to get/not get the flu jab?

I have only had the flu jab once, about 16 years ago, and it put me straight in hospital. After having the jab I developed flu and my sugars went sky high (typical brittle diabetic) and I was ill for weeks, several of which were spent in hospital trying to stabalise me. My gran also had the jab some years later and got the same reaction and got flu.

So I have always declined the jab for fear of what it may do and also I do wonder if these things are over prescribed. This year the papers are claiming there is an epidemic and I am a little worried about the swine flu. Having read further the main risk for us can be the high sugars as well as the fact that we are considered vunerable. On the pump this would be easier to manage - I hope!

So have you had the jab?

The added problem I have this year is that I am waiting for a court date for the little boy we are adopting from Russia. If I react to the jab this would be very bad for the adoption.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes

My personal view is that if you are in a vulnerable group, it is irresponsible NOT to have the vaccine. Anything that can possibly help keep people out of hospital has to be an advantage and help keep beds free for those in dire need is a responsible attitude to adopt.
To those that decide against the jab, I would ask if they insure their house against accidental damage.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Re: Pumping and flu jab

MushyPeaBrain said:
After having the jab I developed flu and my sugars went sky high (typical brittle diabetic) and I was ill for weeks, several of which were spent in hospital trying to stabalise me. My gran also had the jab some years later and got the same reaction and got flu.

The flu vaccine is NOT a live virus and can NOT give you flu, if you develop symptoms after the jab then you must have been infected prior to the jab and your cold/flu was just a coincidence.

If you don't believe me then google "Can the flu jab give me flu"

Almost all hospitalised flu patients have secondary complications, like asthma, heart or lung disease, diabetes etc. I am really glad I had the jab and I would advise anyone who is offered it ie diabetics, to accept it.

anniep

I would say if you have any worries about the vaccine then talk it over with your GP. They cantell you what any possible/potential risk is

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Pumping and flu jab

Sid Bonkers said:
The flu vaccine is NOT a live virus and can NOT give you flu
There is honestly no point trying Sid, people hear the word 'vaccine' and immediately think 'oh no unsafe unsafe it will give me/my child autism/flu/change my hair colour/make my nose fall off/something else equally impossible, I'd much rather die/kill my child by not having the vaccine'.

It's so depressing, I don't know why people are so ignorant about these things - if I was concerned about the safety of something, I'd at least try to find out the facts before making a decision, and when I say 'find out the facts' I don't mean read random websites.

Edit: all this ignorance has inspired me to get the flu vaccine earlier today, it hasn't caused my arm to fall off yet but I will let you know if it does.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I do despair at the ignorance of people towards vacines. The misinformation the conspiracy theories and the just plain silliness.

I think I have been vacinated for pretty much everything going since I used to travel a lot and had other interests that required additional shots. The only side effects I have ever had are a sore arm and sometimes a slight rash around the injection site. On balance I think it is often better to have the shot if you are prone to illness.

Having said all that I have never had a flu shot and have only ever had flu once. My immune system seems to be rather good, if somewhat confused at times which is why I have thyroid issues and T1.
This is not to say I don't trust it or will never have it. I would rather the money is spent vacinating someone that is at greater risk than me, at least until I do start getting sick more easily then I may change my mind again.

Happy new year all

A

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Update: the flu jab hasn't killed me yet. I've got a little red dot on my arm where the needle went in though, maybe I should sue.

goji

Diabetics and flu

Hi

I would like to know exactly what it is about diabetes that makes diabetics more likely to suffer complications of flu and why we need the flu shot.

Is it that:

a) our immune systems are compromised?

b) Flu is only a problem if we're out of control. Otherwise if control is good, we won't suffer complications of flu?

c) some other reason?

I am debating whether or not to have the jab.
Thanks
Goji

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes

HLW said:
Update: the flu jab hasn't killed me yet. I've got a little red dot on my arm where the needle went in though, maybe I should sue.

This year I was told that I should massage the injection site for at least 5 minutes and keep moving my shoulder to ensure rapid distribution and stop any bruising. . . and she was right! This year there was no pain as an after effect unlike previous years.