Flu Jab

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was visiting my surgery today and was offered my flu jab, didn't realise it was that time of year again! I don't know where the time goes! So folks its flu jab time, make sure you get yours :)

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm not having one, can anyone tell me the pros and cons of having it. I've had flu once in my life when my kids were little.

AMBrennan

Remember how you didn't die from smallpox? That's because vaccines work. But feel free to stick to your pre-germ-theory remedies.

Elc1112

I've had the flu jab once and I ended up coming down with the flu shortly afterwards. It's the only time I have had flu and the last time I have the jab. I'll take my chances going forwards! Of course it's up to you whether you take it or not - personally I am going to stick to the good old vitamin C every day approach!

Unbeliever

I have had it every year since diagnosis because I have to attend hospital quite a lot and I don't want to catch it or spread the virus to others who may be very vulnerable..

I have had flu twice - but when I was much younger and I am not sure I could withstand it now , apart from the effect on my bgs which in urn would affect my retinopathy.

I just hope that this year's vaccine idoes ot contain whatever it was that made me quite ill for a few days for the last two years.
I understand that it had a similar make up . Previously I had never suffered any ill effects.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Well I don't go out to work anymore, so don't actually see anyone, think I will leave it.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi all.
Recieved a letter asking me to book appointment at my GP's yesterday...
Beaten them to it - as had booked my flu innoculation on monday for next week :thumbup:
Interestingly on the back of my letter is a bullet point - that may help other members
"carer's"...
However please bear in mind I am located in the north west [lancs] whether this differs
with other locations I have no idea!
Still worth asking about at your GP's... :?:
: If you have an unpaid carer tell them that, as your main carer, they can ask their own GP
for a FREE flu injection, this is important because if they get the flu, they may be too ill to
look after you.
Its about remembering to protect/look after the people who look after you :D
Anna.

Fraddycat

I have my flu jab every year. A couple of years ago my daughter had bird flu and was really ill - she was 18 at the time and it took her quite a while to get back on her feet. I'm 45 with diabetes and will not bounce back anywhere near as quickly. If you have had flu recently, real flu and not just a bad cold I think you would be lining up with me for the jab. Its really horrible.

dib

Had mine yesterday and my BG levels have been erratic ever since, 16.5 2hours post prandial last night when I would have expected 6 or 7, over 10 before bed, 3.5 on waking this morning when again I am usually between 5 and 7, I halved my humalog 25 dose to cover breakfast and was 3.8 2 hours post, corrected with carbs and 2 hours later 3.5 before lunch today. All this after managing guideline levels for some weeks, does this happen to others? :?

ReginaldD

I normally have it every year but just moved surgery and they have just had the last clinic. My old surgery had tons of appointments up until late October, not sure what to do now. Will ring them and see if I can go elsewhere.

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My daughter used to have it due to asthma when she was younger (age 7-12ish) and she was okay with it.
I had mine today - for the first time - and the Dr told me to wait in the surgery for 5 minutes as some people get an allergic reaction.

Millerite

I don't have flu jabs, never have probably never will. mind you that is somewhat due to the belief that if I get flu and die, I'll likely not have to wake up staggering about in a daze till I manage to get some insulin in me again, so probably not the best reason for not having the jab.
It's a toss of the coin and see what happens theory.

I've had flu a couple of times in my life, i think both time were pretty close calls, but don't remember a lot about it, just the fever breaking really. however that's twice in 26 years of being diabetic.
Some people get in at the drop of a hat, and some people don't get it at all, so get it even if they've had the jab. we're all different .
I don't get out a lot, so probably won't be in contact with anyone with it.

One issue i have with the flu jab, is that flu has various strains, so getting a jab for one of them won't necessarily stop me getting one of the other strains. and if there's no absolute, then I'll take my chances and see what happens.

Unbeliever

Millerite said:
I don't have flu jabs, never have probably never will. mind you that is somewhat due to the belief that if I get flu and die, I'll likely not have to wake up staggering about in a daze till I manage to get some insulin in me again, so probably not the best reason for not having the jab.

I've had flu a couple of times in my life, i think both time were pretty close calls, but don't remember a lot about it, just the fever breaking really. however that's twice in 26 years of being diabetic.
Some people get in at the drop of a hat, and some people don't get it at all, so get it even if they've had the jab. we're all different .

One issue i have with the flu jab, is that flu has various strains, so getting a jab for one of them won't necessarily stop me getting one of the other strains. and if there's no absolute, then I'll take my chances and see what happens.

I understand that the flu javbs offer some protection from other strains, That is why older people who have had some episodes of flu in heir lives often fare beter than younger , apparently healthier people when a new strain is around.

One of he reasons for having it is so as not to spread the virus to others who may be vulnerable., alhough we must all make our own decisions.

Sorry to read how depressed you seem to be about your diabetes. That is the reality of course however we try to cope with it .

Unbeliever

Millerite said:

I understand that the flu javbs offer some protection from other strains, That is why older people who have had some episodes of flu in heir lives often fare beter than younger , apparently healthier people when a new strain is around.

One of he reasons for having it is so as not to spread the virus to others who may be vulnerable., alhough we must all make our own decisions.

Sorry to read how depressed you seem to be about your diabetes. That is the reality of course however we try to cope with it .

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I actually had mine yesterday and have got a sore arm now. I was lucky enough to call yesterday morning and got an appointment that afternoon, outside the group vaccinations on Thursdays. I live in Switzerland so things are a bit different here. Diabetics are supposed to get the bill reimbursed but it hasn't happened yet. It costs £17 here but it's worth it. Mind you, I am one of those people who believe they will never get the flu anyway 8)

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had mine today don't think it's worth not having it.