FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you're on the medtronic then you can key in your bloods manually - I'm doing that anyway as I use an accuchek mobile meter so I'll just keeping doing it.

Reactions: 2 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Thanks Minnie. Really want one now

jodysd6

I used to be in Medtronic and am now in accu chek and I have to admit not being able to type readings in manually had annoyed me before and I see it being frustrating if I find the libre reliable! But then I suppose if testing and in range then you can just bolus based on carbs, if it's out then you would have to test to use the wizard. I also already have the ketone strips so could ditch that extra meter which is nice but don't know if it's worth maybe asking for a box of the glucose strips I'm just thinking as a girl would be nice to have less to carry sometimes!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looking at the video, there is a charging cradle for the handset so during the time it takes to recharge, I presume the handset cannot be used to scan the sensor???
usb charger cord

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry if this is a thick question, but for people on pumps like me where the meter sends through the reading via Bluetooth, would people just key in their readings to the pump manually every time and of course when using it with the bolus wizard on the pump to calculate bolus for food?

I may take a pump break when my libre arrives. It will be easier than having to carry my Omnipod pdm and the Libre around with me.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I may take a pump break when my libre arrives. It will be easier than having to carry my Omnipod pdm and the Libre around with me.
if it was me, I'd use it to fine tune my pump, it's perfect to do the hour readings, which are stored on the sensor

Reactions: 8 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Won't you find it hard going back to MDI Omnipod?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I couldn't go back to MDI....although I have accuchek combo pump I am hoping when getting new pump that it might enable an over ride to type in own bg's. Even without that facility the libre can give extra help to fine tune bloods. Especially if it reads in 15 mins which the new roche pump has basal settings for....

Still hanging on though as I am still not convinced that Abbott have resolved overnight low readings with this new gadget. You could not lie on sensor for the Navigator, or even have a duvet over it as its readings would go too low and alarm constantly.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What's this overnight thing about DD?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
With the Navigator it was a total pain in the bum overnight with duff false low readings. Constant. I even got told to turn it off at night!!! Which discredits it readings! It gave readings in 2's when my blood meter was between 5.6 and 7.0.
Accuchek responded by asking if I'd got up and washed my hands pre blood tests each time!!! (Sorry, no.. I wash pre bed and b*gger if I'm getting up 3-5 times a night to falsely wash my hands!!)
My new pump meter does actually read higher to the blood yhat comes out my arm, but the old combo meter was pretty **** accurate.
I at time had bad frozen shoulders and sleeping wasn't easy. So with being told not to lie on it, not to cover it etc because of the low readings was horrendous.

I hope that they have resolved these issues.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Is this related to this new freestyle libre?

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't think the libre had an alarming system?

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Or is that just an example of previous **** ups by the company and your reason for holding off on getting one?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Just their previous cgm.. Which admittedly their new sensor looks different, but which is why I await to see if the sensilor is hoing to make people wonder about their night time levels before I get one...

If they still warn about lying on them and being covered by a duvet then I could not rely upon their 8 hoylur readings over night which would be a waste of money for me.

Reactions: 3 people

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fair comment! I didn't have the willpower to wait to see how people found it....I was meant to be starting my pump on Friday but unfortunately the start has now been delayed so I made an impromptu purchase to make myself feel better! Hopefully it was not a waste of time!
Will keep you posted on how it is going once it arrives. I will be most interested to see 1. How long the sensors actually stay in place for 2. How accurate the readings are c/o to finger pricks 3. If the sensors can actually be used in other positions rather than just the upper arm

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Looking forward to see people comments once they are using it. I'm trying to persuade Father Christmas that it would be great to find one in my stocking on Christmas morning but he doesn't seem to understand!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Although I've got some birthday money my other half is being a bit funny on me getting it - probably because of the self-funding bit and why the NHS don't see the benefits if such kit and probably won't for ages yet. I remember meeting a german woman on holiday in Italy once and we'd both beeped the same time at breakfast with our Medtronic pumps. We both laughed and started chatting and she said she'd had hers for about 20 years! They'd only became available in our LHB some 12 months earlier!! I read on the Freestyle Libre Facebook page that's been set up that in Sweden the sensors are available on prescription already!

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on the accu chek pump so will still need to do finger pricks but to have the information for the times in between seems really good. I don't think I'd use it all the time but as a way of ensuring my basal is correct. Don't think hubby understands why I'd really like one and has said that's not a very good present but to me it is. Will start saving just in case I'm disappointed on Christmas morning.