Freestyle Libre question

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband wants to get a Freestyle Libre to monitor his blood sugar.

My questions are ...

Is a smart phone an essential piece of kit to get the most out of having a Freestyle Libre? We have standard Windows PCs. Can data from the Reader be downloaded onto a PC?

If we get a smart phone is there anything the smart phone must have in order to get info from sensor or reader onto a PC?

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There is a dedicated reader/scanner that is from Abbott. Theoretically chargeable but you may be able to blag one from them or your DSN. A smart phone wouldn't be a huge amount more but it must have NFC. Worth checking the comparability list but it's not exhaustive. Second hand might be worth considering, eg any Google Nexus or pixel.

Windows is ok for uploading the scanner. Phone links directly to Abbott server for reports.

HTH

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
There is a windows PC package that you can download

When the libre first came out you could only used the reader and pc/mac app.. it's only the last couple of years that you can use a phone..

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
You can simply use the monitor that comes with the sensor starter pack. The data automatically uploads to a LibreView cloud and the graphs can be viewed on a website. https://www.libreview.com/
However, if you want to calibrate your data, by entering finger prick test results, then a smartphone is needed to run the Glimp App or X-Drip Apps that you download for free.
According to Abbot the list of compatible phones:
https://www.freestyle.abbott/ie/en/librelink/compatibility-guide.html Some other phones work. I have one, not on this definite list.
The Glimp App has a wider list of phones that can be used. You would have to install the Glimp app on your phone. In the app, go to Options, Info, List of compatible devices. My android phone is listed here.