Freestyle Libre

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m sure other people have posted in the past and I know we’re all different but I have a nasty infected arm from the Libre. I think it’s the actual needle type central bit that has caused the problem. It’s happened twice before but this time resulted in antibiotics and antibiotic cream.

My DSN has said to not use it for a while- though I currently have it on my thigh to see if it reacts ok. My arms are often scabby and scarred from it sadly.

Does anyone know if the Dexcom is made of different materials and how much it costs to self fund? Abbott couldn’t tell me over the phone what the Libre is made of.

TIA

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I have no idea but you might call Dexcom technical. They probably won't easily have an answer but should be able to find out. The filament that stays in the arm is some kind of plastic and the Dexcom is a lighter color and seems thinner, I use both and they are different.

Also are you sure it's the filament and not the adhesive? Adhesive allergies are more common, I am not allergic to the Libre or Dexcom but almost every tape and a lot of other adhesives I am. I know one time after a minor surgery they used a hypoallergenic bandage on me and I was raw and red within hours and had to take it off. I could see an infection starting easily with irritated skin. If it is an allergy though, some areas can be more sensitive than others to reacting but you still will react. You might try some kind of barrier bandage and try it somewhere else.

Reactions: Medusa41

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you @Marie 2 - that’s interesting about the Dexcom. Yes pretty sure it’s the filament part - I do get general itching too from the adhesive but the last 3 have ‘turned nasty’ right where the hole is after removing them. I managed to squeeze a load of gunk out & then rang the GP. It’s currently on my thigh but my DSN said to have a break from them. I will try ringing Dexcom thank you. I’m guessing it’s very pricey to self fund?

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I have found the Dexcom team very helpful, both initial sales and ongoing quickly resolving any technical issues. Occasional some bleeding at the filament site. Fingers crossed, so far little reaction to the adhesives. I wear mine on my abdomen, rotating left and right sides with new sensors. No scars! I have it linked to my iPhone and regularly review trends on the Dexcom Clarity software. I share these results with my endo unit remotely which they love. From my (not great) memory the subscription costs £159 per month at present. IMHO worth it if you can find the funds.

Separate thought - I almost never develop skin infections, but when I do it is always related to being in a high stress/ poor immune state - any current challenges?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I live in the US and my insurance pays for it. From what I understand I believe it's $159 to self fund Dexcom per month in the UK for whatever you need? @LooperCat I believe self funds so she would be up to date on it.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From personal experience.

I had same reaction to the Libre prior to switching to Dexcom G6. I used Libre for about a year before I started getting a reaction. My GP suspected that it was more of a contact dermatitis than an allergic reaction, but the itching and skin damage got worse with each application, Freestyle were very good at replacing the culprits but denied anyone else had this problem, in spite of many reports on forums and the like.

I've been using the Dexcom now for a couple of years now, with no adverse reaction. It's smaller, needs no reader and costs £158 a month on subscription.

Hope this helps, Peter

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @oldgreymare I will definitely look into it. No I don’t think I’m in a high stress state or anything and consider myself pretty fit & healthy. It’s just annoying. Very painful but subsiding now. Thanks for the reply

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@jackois That’s interesting that you also had the same reaction. Thanks for the info - I will definitely look into it.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I had to stop using the libre after I developed an allergy to the adhesive and the results became randomly out , reading both high and low completely unpredictably. As others hace said Abbott refuse to admit that anyone has a problem.

I've been self funding dexcom for 4 months and their support desk is completely different , they acknowledge that some folk have issues and have all sorts of suggestions as to how to mitigate any issues . I'm using a barrier cream atm and get almost no itching.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suffered with skin issues when I started using the Libre 4 years ago. I discovered via my team that there were 2 different problems. Allergy to the adhesive glue, but also a reaction to the actual filament. This was due apparently to the chemicals covering it. At the time there was lots going on to find other solutions to this.
I began spraying a large area with Cavillon and repeating 3 times, allowing it to dry in between each application. For me, this has so far (fingers crossed) sorted the problem. I know this doesn’t work for everyone. But it may be worth a try. I self fund the spray, but each little bottle lasts about a year.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had to stop using the libre after I developed an allergy to the adhesive and the results became randomly out , reading both high and low completely unpredictably. As others hace said Abbott refuse to admit that anyone has a problem.

I've been self funding dexcom for 4 months and their support desk is completely different , they acknowledge that some folk have issues and have all sorts of suggestions as to how to mitigate any issues . I'm using a barrier cream atm and get almost no itching.

Thanks @EllieM - That’s good to hear as I’ve just ordered the starter pack from Dexcom Sorry to hear you also had issues.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suffered with skin issues when I started using the Libre 4 years ago. I discovered via my team that there were 2 different problems. Allergy to the adhesive glue, but also a reaction to the actual filament. This was due apparently to the chemicals covering it. At the time there was lots going on to find other solutions to this.
I began spraying a large area with Cavillon and repeating 3 times, allowing it to dry in between each application. For me, this has so far (fingers crossed) sorted the problem. I know this doesn’t work for everyone. But it may be worth a try. I self fund the spray, but each little bottle lasts about a year.

Thanks @becca59 - I do use Cavilon but it didn’t seem to help with the last 3 sensors. The last one being the worst. I believe, like you say, it’s the filament causing the problem. My DSN said to give it a break for now. Thank you for the reply.