Freshly diabetic

JessicaAnnr92

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've struggled with prediabetes for almost 12 years, after the birth of my almost 12yo. I had gestational diabetes with my 17mo and hated it so bad, I couldn't bring myself to do the insulin pen because I could see the needle(I'm so scared of visible needles, I cried for 2hrs until I vomited). Well, yesterday they took my a1c and said I have type 2 diabetes. I'm so stressed because I don't think I can do this. My family is pretty unsupportive...

Sorry it's a downer post, I just need somewhere to vent. I joke about it with my friends so they won't worry, but I can't stop the feeling of doom I'm having.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @JessicaAnnr92 and welcome to the forum.

Consider the following:
Type 2 diabetes isn't curable, but long term remission is a real thing and is possible for many or even most.
The majority of Type 2 diabetics don't ever need to go onto insulin.
Not all Type 2 diabetics try for remission ( partly because they prefer to pretend they don't have it), but of those who try a Low Carb way of eating (not a calorie restricted diet) over 50% are still in remission after 3yrs.
There are also other paths to remission - Newcastle Diet / Fast800 or for those severely obese Gastric Surgery, but neither of those has such a good success rate as Low Carb.

pumas

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Do you have the actual result?

JessicaAnnr92

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi @JessicaAnnr92 and welcome to the forum.

Consider the following:
Type 2 diabetes isn't curable, but long term remission is a real thing and is possible for many or even most.
The majority of Type 2 diabetics don't ever need to go onto insulin.
Not all Type 2 diabetics try for remission ( partly because they prefer to pretend they don't have it), but of those who try a Low Carb way of eating (not a calorie restricted diet) over 50% are still in remission after 3yrs.
There are also other paths to remission - Newcastle Diet / Fast800 or for those severely obese Gastric Surgery, but neither of those has such a good success rate as Low Carb.
I don't have much of an income and my insurance doesn't really cover much of anything, so I'm probably just gonna stress out forever

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I appreciate that the USA is very different from the UK (where this forum is based). However taken as a whole, Food that is good for your body is cheaper than having to rely on medication - in our situation as Type 2 diabetics, in both cases this is going to be for the rest of our lives.

In your profile you mention the problem that your family won't eat 'healthy food' - but do you mean Low Carb food (fish, meat, eggs, cheese, nuts, greens) or do you mean what we've been told for the past 30 to 40yrs is healthy (fruit, whole grains, low fat) ?

As soon as I got a cheap Blood Glucose meter and tested my so-called healthy breakfast ( boiled oats, blueberries and a banana) and compared it with just eating several boiled eggs I knew I had been misled for all that time!

Trixie321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've struggled with prediabetes for almost 12 years, after the birth of my almost 12yo. I had gestational diabetes with my 17mo and hated it so bad, I couldn't bring myself to do the insulin pen because I could see the needle(I'm so scared of visible needles, I cried for 2hrs until I vomited). Well, yesterday they took my a1c and said I have type 2 diabetes. I'm so stressed because I don't think I can do this. My family is pretty unsupportive...

Sorry it's a downer post, I just need somewhere to vent. I joke about it with my friends so they won't worry, but I can't stop the feeling of doom I'm having.
Hi Jessica
There is the Libra 2 if you dont like needles it is not free you have to pay for it i am afraid.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
You don't see the needle when using a lancing device for a Blood Glucose meter. It does sometime hurt a bit, but also often you don't even feel it if done properly on the side of a finger pad (not on the pad itself).

In the UK the cheapest meat tends to be the best for a Low Carb way of eating - i.e. the fattiest cuts Pork belly, ground beef with a high fat content.
Eggs too are still a relatively cheap source of high quality proteins and fats.

All digestible carbohydrates turn into sugar when digested. Baked or mashed potato has a higher Glycaemic Index than table sugar!
So grains of any colour, bread, breakfast cereals, tropical fruit, fruit juice do a Type 2 diabetic body no favours at all. In fact I blame a 'healthy' low fat, whole grain, high fruit way of eating for making me gain weight and give me Type 2 diabetes on the first place!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re the family issue. Unless they want to be the chef they need to eat what you cook (Within reason). I feed a large family and they were a bit fussy and one is a vegetarian but over the years they’ve adapted a stage at a time. Hey saw the benefits to me and realised I was onto something and wanted me to be healthier.

I often cook a base meal and dish it up differently eg I’ll skip the carb element and have more of the meat and veg instead. Or I’ll put some of the ingredients into one pot and some another and tweak the two to suit.

What kinds of thing do you cook currently. Maybe we can help you with ideas how to adapt them.

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I don't have much of an income and my insurance doesn't really cover much of anything, so I'm probably just gonna stress out forever
Don't apologise, how you're feeling now is how most of us here have felt at one time or another. It's a stressful time after diagnosis - most people know next to nothing about diabetes, much less about how to manage it, and it feels overwhelming. The good news is that while the learning curve is very steep, this forum made it a million times easier for me.

Just take it a step at a time and go easy on yourself. You don't have to make anyone feel better, if they're truly your friends they'll make you feel better and support you.

You've had some great advice here already and although you've listed some challenges, do what you can to follow that advice. You don't have to do everything people suggest, but just try to do some of it to start. It won't feel like it now, but with some simple and cheap steps, you can start on your way to making it less stressful.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome @JessicaAnnr92

I completely empathise. If you look at my early posts you will see that I threw the biggest pity party ever when I was first diagnosed. The phrase 'I'd rather be dead' certainly crossed my lips on a number of occasions- it was weeks before I didn't end up in tears at least once a day. I now look back with a fair degree of embarrassment.

I found the whole idea of having a low carb or keto diet unthinkable. I'm a carboholic and still am. Having said that I am fine- even better than fine on a keto diet. I personally find it easier to have a very low carb diet than a medium or lower carb diet. The lower my carb intake is the less cravings I feel.

I agree with @Paul_ that while there is a steep learning curve you have found the place that will make it easier. Also you have found a place which has a lot of really amazing people that do understand and are willing to provide support and advice. This place literally changed my life.

Keep reading and posting and don't despair

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I doubt any of them would protest bacon. ;)

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- have a read here, and see whether you can implement some changes. I mean, I still make potatoes for my husband, I just don't have them, I have an extra portion of protein/fats instead of carbs. So if you're making meals, just, you know... Change the proportions to fit you.

Mind you, with gestational diabetes the regulation of blood sugars is oftentimes done though insulin, to get things steady and back to normal asap for mom and baby. With "regular" T2 you have a bit more leeway, and can just go for diet instead, maybe some medication if you want to, but no needles required straight out the gate. I would recommend testing, but if needles are so much of an issue, maybe fly blind instead -if a CGM isn't viable financially- and just try it.

You're not doomed. You have options, and not all of them involve pricking anything. And as others stated, the cheapest cuts of meat, eggs, above ground geen veg etc, shouldn't break your bank.

You'll be okay. Don't give up just yet.
Jo

JessicaAnnr92

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I appreciate that the USA is very different from the UK (where this forum is based). However taken as a whole, Food that is good for your body is cheaper than having to rely on medication - in our situation as Type 2 diabetics, in both cases this is going to be for the rest of our lives.

In your profile you mention the problem that your family won't eat 'healthy food' - but do you mean Low Carb food (fish, meat, eggs, cheese, nuts, greens) or do you mean what we've been told for the past 30 to 40yrs is healthy (fruit, whole grains, low fat) ?

As soon as I got a cheap Blood Glucose meter and tested my so-called healthy breakfast ( boiled oats, blueberries and a banana) and compared it with just eating several boiled eggs I knew I had been misled for all that time!
I mean altogether unhealthy stuff. I have a blood glucose meter from my pregnancy but it stresses me out to poke my fingers

JessicaAnnr92

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Re the family issue. Unless they want to be the chef they need to eat what you cook (Within reason). I feed a large family and they were a bit fussy and one is a vegetarian but over the years they’ve adapted a stage at a time. Hey saw the benefits to me and realised I was onto something and wanted me to be healthier.

I often cook a base meal and dish it up differently eg I’ll skip the carb element and have more of the meat and veg instead. Or I’ll put some of the ingredients into one pot and some another and tweak the two to suit.

What kinds of thing do you cook currently. Maybe we can help you with ideas how to adapt them.
Honestly, out diet varies, but it always raises my blood glucose

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you read nothing else for now please read the document from Jo. It’s easy to read and puts everything into plain language.

I get how hard it can be to function with depression. But high blood glucose actually makes it worse. Getting that under control will help.

For the sake of yourself and your children changing to eating food that isn’t “altogether unhealthy” needs to be a priority. And in the long term it’ll also save you money on medication and drs, not just for diabetes but for a whole host of metabolic complaints

One meal at time. Which meal causes you the biggest rises usually“ Start there. Eg if it’s dinner give us a few examples of what might be for dinner and we’ll try and help take some of the confusion out of it for you and suggest swaps that will help.

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Honestly, out diet varies, but it always raises my blood glucose
I would echo @HSSS's advice above:

This is exactly what I do. I have two main approaches, as the main cook in the house but being the only one on a low carb diet.

1) If it's a meal with separate items on the plate, I pick the protein we're all having, pick the veg that goes well with it, and that's what I have (generally with an increased portion of veg to fill the plate space where the carbs would have been). From there, I add the carb items my family want for them, I just don't have them.

2) If it's a one pot meal, say a pasta meal, I make my meal fit with the family one pot meal. Whatever protein they're having in the one pot, is the protein I have too, it's just my family have that protein with all the carbs, I have the protein with veggies and whatever else fits with my meal. If it's a spaghetti bolognese, for example, I sometimes have the sauce and beef, just with a portion of veg in place of the pasta, then my family have the pasta. These meals have always been family favourites in my house, so I haven't tried or wanted to fight that. You get all the good stuff, your family gets the one pot meal they love, and it keeps the cost and effort to a minimum in the process.

The nice thing is that my family have actually shifted their choices over time. My children are increasingly opting for non-breaded proteins (ok, don't fear, chicken nuggets remain a firm favourite! :) ), with salmon and garlic/herb chicken actually being requested without me prompting. My carb addict wife has joined me on the majority of dinners, firstly out of support, but mostly because she's enjoying them more (no post-meal blood sugar crash).

If you can, just start by altering your meal, keeping the base components the same, but reducing/losing the carbs. Your family is happy with their food, you're happy with yours and healthier. This is a change for you, because you deserve to have a diet that works for you. You never know, in time your family might look across that table and long for what you have!

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Spot on @Paul_, that's practically what I do. Just to add that I keep a few 'inexpensive' foods in the fridge for moments when I feel like nibbling, such as tuna stock pots, chicken thighs I've cooked up, cheeses, foods that I've found on offers in the shops. It's a great feeling after years of being controlled by carbs to be able to pass on the biscuit barrel. @JessicaAnnr92 give yourself a big pat on the back even when you have even a small success and try to drown out those negative voices, you can combat this. Try to have your breakfast later each day or each week, and finish your last mouthful of food a little bit earlier every day, that way you'll be giving your panaceas more of a rest instead of constantly churning out that insulin. Good luck! You can control this!

• Friendly
Reactions: HSSS and Paul_

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't think I'd get so many replies and my depression is making it hard to concentrate. I've had depression a good 20 years now. I'm sorry if I don't reply well
Take it easy. And keep in mind that high or fluctuating blood sugars can make depression so, so very much worse. (It's been a constant companion for me, for all my 44 years). Read the Nutritional Thingy that's been linked a few times now, it's all the basics put as simply as possible... Because when you're first diagnosed, it is traumatic, it makes it that much harder to concentrate and retain any information at all... So I put the gist of it in there, and how to tackle it, without the knitty-gritty medical lingo and whatnot. Just what the problem is and how to fix it. That simple. If you can't handle it, print it out, share it with your partner or kids, so they can help you.

For now, forget about the testing. If the cost of a CGM is an issue and finger pricks stress you out so much, though I am admittedly a big fan of testing, you do not need the extra stress right now. It's a convenient tool, but if it makes your life difficult, s*d it. Stress can raise blood sugars too, so decide what needs to be a priority right now. Testing isn't it, calming down and getting enough of a grip to be able to understand the basics of diabetes-friendly food is. It'll give you some control of this, even if you can't see it on a meter. You'll feel it when your mood improves and/or stabilises, your weight changes, and any fatigue'll get worse first, then loads and loads better than it's been in what'll seem like forever.

Hang in there. You'll be okay, and you don't have to do anything you really, really do not want to.
Jo