SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Here's an important question.
My fridge is running a bit cold. Mainly 2C but when I open it in the morning, it's at 1C
Both Novarapid and Levmir say to store between 2C to 8C
Do you think there will be a detrimental effect on the insulin being slightly lower or should I invest in a new fridge?
Really appreciate the input, thanks

D

Deleted Account

I do not know what the affect will be on your insulin.
My gut feel is that it should be ok as I would expect the recommendations to have a level of contingency.

However, I have a few thoughts before you scrap your fridge:
- how are you measuring the temperature? I would not be overly confident on the accuracy of temperature your fridge tells you.
- many fridges have a temperature control which can be adjusted. Can you tweak yours to be on the safe side?

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Speaking of fridges.
If you tell your electricity supplier you are storing insulin in your fridge you become a priority customer in the event of a power failure.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I do not know what the affect will be on your insulin.
My gut feel is that it should be ok as I would expect the recommendations to have a level of contingency.

However, I have a few thoughts before you scrap your fridge:
- how are you measuring the temperature? I would not be overly confident on the accuracy of temperature your fridge tells you.
- many fridges have a temperature control which can be adjusted. Can you tweak yours to be on the safe side?
Thanks, I went and bought a fridge thermometer to check. I can't twiddle the temp gauge in the fridge any lower

D

Deleted Account

Thanks, I went and bought a fridge thermometer to check. I can't twiddle the temp gauge in the fridge any lower
Please humour me whilst I state what you may think is the blindingly obvious ... but I want to mention it just in case ...
is the lowest setting on your fridge the coldest or the least cold?
It has caught me out in the past (despite being blindingly obvious).

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Please humour me whilst I state what you may think is the blindingly obvious ... but I want to mention it just in case ...
is the lowest setting on your fridge the coldest or the least cold?
It has caught me out in the past (despite being blindingly obvious).
That's really sweet of you and do you know you've put a doubt in my mind. Let me check with you. I've always thought that the lowest number is the least cold. I have mine on 1 and it goes to 3. I'm thinking this is the same for all/most fridges. It's always been set at 1 and it's that old that the only way to check would be to turn it up to 2 and see if it goes colder which I actually don't want.:)

D

Deleted Account

I've always thought that the lowest number is the least cold.
Me too and doing a quick google the interweb seems to agree "a higher number probably represents a colder temperature."
Unfortunately, that suggests there may be one or two fridges out there that work the other way.
So much for being blindingly obvious :banghead:

If it was me (and I am little paranoid/obsessive at times), I would remove anything I was concerned was sensitive to temperature (like insulin) and put it in a cool bag. Then twiddle the dial up and check the thermometer in a couple of hours.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Me too and doing a quick google the interweb seems to agree "a higher number probably represents a colder temperature."
Unfortunately, that suggests there may be one or two fridges out there that work the other way.

If it was me (and I am little paranoid/obsessive at times), I would remove anything I was concerned was sensitive to temperature (like insulin) and put it in a cool bag. Then twiddle the dial up and check the thermometer in a couple of hours.
You're brilliant!! I can be totally paranoid too and my sister thinks I'm obsessive so I'll give that a test and do what you suggest. Great idea. Then we'll be know.

Reactions: Kim Possible

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Any more thoughts on this anyone please?

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any more thoughts on this anyone please?

Hi @SueJB

I have a Beko fridge. The temperature dial says "max 4 3 2 1 min" so higher the number coldest. I keep my insulin and thermometer together in a Tupperware and keep it around 4 to 5. The temperate is also quite different depending on where it is in the fridge.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Mine is colder, the higher the number.

It was suggested to me to keep insulin in the top of the door, as that’s the least frosty part of the fridge. Cold enough but rarely too cold.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi @SueJB

I have a Beko fridge. The temperature dial says "max 4 3 2 1 min" so higher the number coldest. I keep my insulin and thermometer together in a Tupperware and keep it around 4 to 5. The temperate is also quite different depending on where it is in the fridge.
Mine's the same, just found out through experimentation

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Mine is colder, the higher the number.

It was suggested to me to keep insulin in the top of the door, as that’s the least frosty part of the fridge. Cold enough but rarely too cold.
I think that's probably true if you haven't got a fridge with an ice box at the top because I reckon that's going to be the coldest. I've got that sort. I am more interested really in the temperature tolerance of the insulin as mine is, as I said, being kept at 2C virtually all the time and probably 1C overnight when the given storage range on the packets is 2C to 8.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather

Helen, it was OK, the lowest number was the least cold. I reckon it's going to be a new fridge if people on the forum reckon the tolerance of the insulin isn't enough.

sysrev

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not much
I have had a few Beko fridges over the years and have found their temperature control to be very poor. I usually go for cheap fridges so maybe that is the reason!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Have you tried adjusting the temps so it is at a slightly warmer setting?
That's the problem, it's on the warmest there is. It's a very old fridge. I am more interested really in the temperature tolerance of the insulin as mine is, as I said, being kept at 2C virtually all the time and probably 1C overnight when the given storage range on the packets is 2C to 8.

D

Deleted member 308541

I am more interested really in the temperature tolerance of the insulin as mine is, as I said, being kept at 2C virtually all the time and probably 1C overnight when the given storage range on the packets is 2C to 8.

One of our friends put his insulin my beer fridge when he come here to visit, he wraps it up in a sheet of news paper and puts it the egg compartment.

ncK7nHD.jpg

D

Deleted member 308541

I'm an engineer and I also find the thermostat settings unclear. They should indicate cooler/warmer and not use numbers - stupid.
Our Fisher and Paykel fridges have a bar that moves when you press the temp control up and down buttons.