Fruit Intake

Type-2-Havent-A-Clue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would like to get opinions on my dietary plan if possible.

I’m contemplating adding a few pieces of fruit per day to my diet to break up the current eating patterns I have been undertaking.

How would this affect the LCHF I’m doing? Would it help me in anyway to lower my weight? I get it’ll increase my sugar intake.

I’ve taken advice from someone who has lost around 2st by substituting one meal a day for a plate of fruit and yoghurt along with some light exercise such as walking or cardio exercises. I know it won’t work for everyone but is it worth a chance?

M

Member496333

More important than the glucose content is the fructose content. It silently contributes to increasing insulin resistance, or certainly slowing any return to sensitivity. Fruit does contain some useful micronutrients but nothing specific that you can’t also gain from elsewhere.

Clearly it’s a choice you are free to make, but my personal view is that it’s an unnecessary hindrance to an insulin resistant diabetic. Berries are the best option. Bananas, particularly ripe ones, are prossibly the worst. In terms of diabetes management, tropical fruits are the perfect storm of glucose & fructose. Not dissimilar to sucrose in that regard (table sugar).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ponchu

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
How would this affect the LCHF I’m doing? Would it help me in anyway to lower my weight? I get it’ll increase my sugar intake.
It sounds to me as if you already know the answer :) Years ago I lost about 35 kgs of weight eating 4 fruits a day, so it is perfectly doable, but my diet then was more high carb and very very low fat (15g. per day max.), and I didn't know anything about macroes, and I didn't have a meter and knew nothing about what the fruit was doing to my (fatty, I'm sure) liver and my BG levels.
Today, 12 years later, I wouldn't touch a piece of fruit. My ancient diagnosis and not too well controlled T2 over the years deserves a very strict ketogenic woe, but that's me. I'd think twice, if I were you.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would like to get opinions on my dietary plan if possible.

I’m contemplating adding a few pieces of fruit per day to my diet to break up the current eating patterns I have been undertaking.

I’ve taken advice from someone who has lost around 2st by substituting one meal a day for a plate of fruit and yoghurt along with some light exercise such as walking or cardio exercises. I know it won’t work for everyone but is it worth a chance?
...Fruit won't do anything at all for your weight. Except make you heavier, there's that. Your friend sounds like he's not got the same metabolic condition you have. It's carbs you can't process, and there's plenty of those in fruit. If he can burn them off, more power to him, but you have an issue there. On top of that, fructose is bad news, as it turns out. Especially for those of us with non alcoholic fatty liver disease (which practically all T2's with Metabolic Syndrome have, excuse the sweeping statment as exceptions to the rule always do apply).

If you feel you absolutely have to, a couple of berries are fine... As is avocado, some tomato (whole, not pureed), starfruit... But honestly, better without than with. And yes, I know that's one heck of a sacrifice.

Check the little talk around the visual guides and decide how low you want to go:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/fruits

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In my case @Type-2-Havent-A-Clue I really like almost all fruit and was conditioned to believe it is the healthy way to go. I realise now that that probably is not the case and have suspended my previous 5 or is it 7 a day strategy. I am as a Prediabetic bordering on Type 2, radically reducing the amount and type of fruit that I eat, but not completely. This may not be radical enough but it is a step or two in what might be considered as the right direction.

So for me, in my condition, am having a couple of satsumas in my diet for example along with some berries each day. As I say this is already a huge change in my diet along with other changes.

I just wanted to add that for breakfast I just had Greek yoghurt and freshly cooked rhubarb, sweetened with just a smidging of Stevia. Rhubarb has very little in the way of carbs in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ponchu

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I
This may not be radical enough but it is a step or two in what might be considered as the right direction.

and i think THAT approach suits many..it's an odds game.
as we are all so individual, it's not a given that X = 3

So i guess for pre diabetic, all you can hope is the changes you make stave off or avoid the full implications of T2D for as long as possible or forever..whichever comes first..:D

Just as it is for those of us with T2D, @Jim Lahey as a good example of how it can be vastly improved and also requires a judgement call form each of us as individuals.

Jim complained about excruciating pain due to foot neuropathy.
he's now made major changes and reversed that path for himself, and just the other day was talking merrily about hiking or walking a decent distance i think..

effective and decisive decision making based on HIS needs and understanding.

Which is all any of us really have in the world, if we keep our eyes open.

We each have to assess what we are WILLING to do to make this go away or at best avoid the worst it has to offer in the coming years.

Will any ONE approach suit all.?
Will any ONE approach guarantee the same results as the person next to you ?
unlikely.

we can only pick the path best suited for us, as we make out way deeper and deeper into the diabetic jungle to carve out a space we CAN live in, comfortably.

AND thank our lucky stars that we found a forum, able and willing to equip us with the knives, machetes, etc to cut through all the over grown UNTRUTHS* that circulate about TYPE 2
( * i had another word for it, but you might get confused and think i meant blood sugars, ;))

So those nights around the camp fire when we hear the winds and the howling of wolves, we are as prepared as possible to face the darkness., sleep well and be well rested for the next days journey, ad infinitum..(please god )

So good luck on your journey @Type-2-Havent-A-Clue ..

all we can do is offer our experiences and thoughts.
at the end of the day it's your health potentially at risk or hopefully being improved.

Make wise decision after careful analysis, my friend..

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve taken advice from someone who has lost around 2st by substituting one meal a day for a plate of fruit and yoghurt along with some light exercise such as walking or cardio exercises.

Is that person a type 2 diabetic?
Did they monitor the effect of the fruit and yog throughout their weight loss period?
Were their blood glucose levels at safe levels throughout the weight loss period?

If the answer is no to any of those questions, then I wouldn't place their advice over people with personal experience of the same situation.

M

Member496333

Is that person a type 2 diabetic?
Did they monitor the effect of the fruit and yog throughout their weight loss period?
Were their blood glucose levels at safe levels throughout the weight loss period?

If the answer is no to any of those questions, then I wouldn't place their advice over people with personal experience of the same situation.

And did they have an ultrasound on their liver afterwards? Excessive fructose ingestion has been shown to accumulate hepatic fat in as little as three weeks. Possibly not an immediate concern for a non-diabetic in the short term, but potentially damaging longer term and almost certainly very bad news for an insulin resistant diabetic.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It's not all about weight loss as such. Much more important than overall weight loss is losing fatty deposits from the liver (and the pancreas). It has been shown that the fat stores in the liver react (fall) sometimes starting within just a few days with dietary changes and though the fatty pancreas takes a bit longer to improve it does so sometimes starting within weeks.
As fructose can only be metabolised in the liver and stored there as fat then it follows that avoiding or drastically cutting fructose from the diet has a beneficial affect above and beyond the weight loss viscerally.
In essence one could lose weight without emptying the liver of its excess fat stores but this will do nothing to improve insulin resistance which could in turn stall overall weight loss.

M

Member496333

It's not all about weight loss as such. Much more important than overall weight loss is losing fatty deposits from the liver (and the pancreas). It has been shown that the fat stores in the liver react (fall) sometimes starting within just a few days with dietary changes and though the fatty pancreas takes a bit longer to improve it does so sometimes starting within weeks.
As fructose can only be metabolised in the liver and stored there as fat then it follows that avoiding or drastically cutting fructose from the diet has a beneficial affect above and beyond the weight loss viscerally.
In essence one could lose weight without emptying the liver of its excess fat stores but this will do nothing to improve insulin resistance which could in turn stall overall weight loss.

Indeed. Not sure I’d want to trade obesity for intra organic fat, or TOFI as it’s now often referred to. The latter is a metabolic disaster if left to continue unabated.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Indeed. Not sure I’d want to trade obesity for intra organic fat, or TOFI as it’s now often referred to. The latter is a metabolic disaster if left to continue unabated.
Agreed. Ectopic fat around the organs is thought to be more of a risk than the 'wheat belly' that sometimes accompanies T2. However, when we (generally) see fat stores disappearing in the mirror we can understand why so many focus on that and it is, indeed, an incentive to carry on with the adjustments one has made to achieve said. My liver function was described as dodgy [sic] at diagnosis so a return to within normal range showed me that I had reduced to some extent the fat stores I had accumulated. It is still a metric I pay particular interest to when I get my results.

Reactions: Member496333

Ponchu

In my case @Type-2-Havent-A-Clue I really like almost all fruit and was conditioned to believe it is the healthy way to go. I realise now that that probably is not the case and have suspended my previous 5 or is it 7 a day strategy. I am as a Prediabetic bordering on Type 2, radically reducing the amount and type of fruit that I eat, but not completely. This may not be radical enough but it is a step or two in what might be considered as the right direction.

So for me, in my condition, am having a couple of satsumas in my diet for example along with some berries each day. As I say this is already a huge change in my diet along with other changes.

I just wanted to add that for breakfast I just had Greek yoghurt and freshly cooked rhubarb, sweetened with just a smidging of Stevia. Rhubarb has very little in the way of carbs in it.

Like so many of us—conditioned to believe cross bred fruit, larger & sweeter, we’re good for us.

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Like so many of us—conditioned to believe cross bred fruit, larger & sweeter, we’re good for us.
Yes and along the same lines I am a little suspicious of rhubarb grown in Leeds (where it was sourced) in February. But such is the quest for low carb fruit.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes and along the same lines I am a little suspicious of rhubarb grown in Leeds (where it was sourced) in February. But such is the quest for low carb fruit.

Technically rhubarb is a vegetable and can be 'forced' or hothouse grown so availability is year round.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Tomatoes and cucumbers are fruits - botanically, that is.