Fruit

Paullight1963

Hi all, this is my first message on here.

I have had Type 2 diabetes for a number of years and to be honest I have neglected the idea of have it at all until now. I recently had a blood test (the first one in around 6 years) and my doctor (after seeing my results) said my cholesterol is at a point where I could have a stroke or a heart attack so quick action by me had to be taken.

I've never had a preference for fruit before but over the last 3/4 weeks and I have significantly eaten fruit on a daily basis and have really taken to ot.

My first question is?

Are most of the websites that let most fruits are good for you or what fruits are better for you than others?

Thanks in advance, Paul.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Most fruits other than berries in modest amounts are bad news for a type two diabetic, as they are very sugary.
Do you test your blood glucose and have you seen a rise in your levels?
Did your doctor give any explanation of how cholesterol might cause you to have a stroke or heart attack? Do you have raised blood pressure?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you take a note of your cholesterol levels?
Did you just get one number (pretty useless to be honest) or a full lipid panel?

Fruit especially tropical varieties can be pretty sugary so not the best thing for a T2.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@Paullight1963 I'm confused:

What makes you think that fruit has any bearing on Cholesterol?

Are you aware of the debate as to whether high Cholesterol actually causes CHD, since more with low Cholesterol have heart attacks than those with high Cholesterol?

Have you seen this thread: Why low fat diets may not be good for women with CHD | Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community about the biggest study ever done on low fat diets ( though it was done on female nurses) , a higher Saturated Fat in the diet was found to be protective against Coronary Heart Disease though only significantly protective (26%) in those both post menopause and and with existing CHD - meaning those at greatest risk of dying form CHD.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Are most of the websites that let most fruits are good for you or what fruits are better for you than others?

As suggested above, "most websites" will be aiming at the non-diabetic.

I assume that you have a meter, so eat things then test.
You will soon find what your body can tolerate.
I am OK with berries, especially with double cream, and I can scrape by with an apple and cheese.
However most fruits have too much sugar for me.

Bananas, pineapple....sadly no more.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would be very wary about eating fruit - I have a small serving of berries of rhubarb, with yogurt or in a fake crumble (made with ground almonds instead of flour).
As others have said, buy a meter if you don't have one and check your blood sugar before and 2 hours after eating - if your BS has gone up by more than 2 points your meal contained too many carbs for your body to cope with.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat most of the fruit that is grown in the area where I live, but keep the portion size down. Just half a mango. dragonfruit, mandarin etc. I keep away from the stoner fruit at xmas as they are too much of a temptation, they fall under the heading of one is too many, and the box is not enough.

I steer clear of bananas, jack fruit and pineapple as well as they are pure poison to me.

As others have said get a a bgj meter if you have not got one and test the different fruit available where you live

Reactions: LaoDan and EllieM

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Mangos are full of sugar and should be avoided. Do get a full lipids 'panel' of your fats from the surgery perhaps at the next blood test. Don't just take the GPs words without also getting the result. Get access to you surgery's online system so you can see your test results and then decide whether you do need statins.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Fruit probably won't help your cholesterol either: high sugar raises triglycerides, and most fruit is about as sugary as it gets. My cardiologist tells me to avoid carbohydrate and stick to lean meat and green vegetables. When I do as he says, my numbers drop.

Reactions: LaoDan

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, this is my first message on here.

I have had Type 2 diabetes for a number of years and to be honest I have neglected the idea of have it at all until now. I recently had a blood test (the first one in around 6 years) and my doctor (after seeing my results) said my cholesterol is at a point where I could have a stroke or a heart attack so quick action by me had to be taken.

I've never had a preference for fruit before but over the last 3/4 weeks and I have significantly eaten fruit on a daily basis and have really taken to ot.

My first question is?

Thanks in advance, Paul.
Hi. Fruit in general is not good for me (and I would say many/most T2s) as most fruits have lots of carbs/sugar - one apple has as many carbs as I eat in a normal day. I do eat some berries - strawberries/raspberries/blackberries, and sometimes blueberries, but only around 2 or 3 times a week at most. This is relevant to my blood glucose but not to my blood lipids - however my blood lipids have improved since going on to a low carb/high fat diet two years ago in December.