G.P refusing to give me my insulin

missy123456

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been a type 1 diabetic since 1992 I have always recieved 2 boxes of short acting and one box of long acting insulin a month. All of a sudden a new diabetes nurse at my surgery has told my G.P I don't need it bear in mind she has never met me or spoken to me and it has been removed from my prescription and I've been told it will not be going back on. I currently only have enough insulin for 2 more days. I'm very anxious as my control is usually very good without my life saving medication I don't think I will survive that long as when diagnosed I had dka and I can still remember how unwell I was now. Can anyone help .

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you need to contact your surgery urgently. They have your records and are responsible for your prescribing. Nobody else can short-cut that. And if things become more pressing there is always A&E.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Surely they cannot mean you cannot have any more insulin. Is it more that instead of a set amount you order it as and when you need it. I often only order once every 3 months. We all have different usage needs. There has been some miscommunication here I feel and I would get myself into the GPS and not leave til it is sorted.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I have been a type 1 diabetic since 1992 I have always recieved 2 boxes of short acting and one box of long acting insulin a month. All of a sudden a new diabetes nurse at my surgery has told my G.P I don't need it bear in mind she has never met me or spoken to me and it has been removed from my prescription and I've been told it will not be going back on. I currently only have enough insulin for 2 more days. I'm very anxious as my control is usually very good without my life saving medication I don't think I will survive that long as when diagnosed I had dka and I can still remember how unwell I was now. Can anyone help .
i am really sorry to hear you are experiencing this. none of us need this kind of stress. I would also recommend that you get in touch with your hospital diabetes team and get them to talk to your GP. also you could ring 111 and ask for an emergency prescription of your insulins to keep you going

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
You really need to get this sorted straight away , you should always have a week or more in stock for emergencies I always get a bit panic if I let it drop down to my last two vials .

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That is a terrible. Apart from trying to talk to a GP you can complain to the practice manager and tell them it is urgent (t#every survey must have a complaints procedure). Or go to A&E via the 111 service.

I actually used 111 to get through to my out-of-hours GP once as the surgery phone hadn't been transferred that weekend and we can't get the number directly.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I used 111. out of hours once when I had an insulin disaster (don't ask) and they could see my surgery records and issued a new prescription of my insulin to a supermarket pharmacy which was open on a Sunday. Life saver!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Contact the surgery and ask about making a complaint to the practice, it sounds like this nurse doesn't understand you are type 1 and dependent on insulin, either phone or email them to make the complaint, once they realise the mistake this should be resolved quickly - let us know how you get on ?

abigailsheree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have just had this as well all my medication has gone to the minimum which includes only 50 test strips a month (I do have the libre but at times when these fail you need a backup)

missy123456

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've spoke to my G.P practice a locum there said he would do a script and then 2 hours later the practice manager phoned me to say we will not give you a script. I contacted the team at the hospital who said they don't issue the scripts but they phoned my surgery to tell them to provide a script for my insulin but they are still refusing. Sugars are currently 16.9 as I now have no insulin, I've been advised to take legal action for medical negligence against my practice but that's not helping me as I'm desperate for my prescription.

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77 and Juicyj

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've spoke to my G.P practice a locum there said he would do a script and then 2 hours later the practice manager phoned me to say we will not give you a script. I contacted the team at the hospital who said they don't issue the scripts but they phoned my surgery to tell them to provide a script for my insulin but they are still refusing. Sugars are currently 16.9 as I now have no insulin, I've been advised to take legal action for medical negligence against my practice but that's not helping me as I'm desperate for my prescription.
Are you in the UK? Go to A&E if you are. They can give you insulin there and should help you

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If in the UK I would ring 111 asap and see if you can get them to get someone to prescribe you an emergency prescription. If you get nothing from there I really would head to A&E, with a copy of your previous prescription if you have one or at least details of your insulin - they can prescribe from there

Did the practise manager give any reason why the prescription would not be prescribed?

Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ring them now - ask to speak to the practice manager, tell them you are insulin dependent and will die if they do not prescribe you insulin, this will get resolved but we are often mixed up with type 2 and they do not understand that you need insulin to stay alive, let us know how you get on ?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They need reporting to the GMC, Local health authority & press/t.v. etc, NOW & I mean today.
Reporting to the GMC may or may not be an idea, but it doesn’t deliver insulin today, which strikes me as being the abs9lute priority at this time.

@missy123456 , I do hope you can achieve insulin today, even if it means going to A&E very soon. Your don’t need to have the hassle of chasing too much further. The stress will likely elevate your blood glucose.

If you have access to your online medical records, I suggest you look at any notes and see what if anything is noted. I would also strongly advise you make screenshots of what is written. It wouldn’t be unknown for records to be altered and the alterations not be visible to you.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sorry to sound dramatic but it is the fact that they do not understand we are 'insulin dependent' this is why you have a prescription card and do not pay for your prescriptions, because you need insulin to stay alive, they are flippin idiots...

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to sound dramatic but it is the fact that they do not understand we are 'insulin dependent' this is why you have a prescription card and do not pay for your prescriptions, because you need insulin to stay alive, they are flippin idiots...
Yeah its really amazing to think they don't know this, insulin is not a 'choice' for insulin dependent people, its a necessity

I also find it very strange that the docs got a call from the hospital to prescribe it but still refused - something is definitely going on here

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hopeful34 and HSSS

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Yeah its really amazing to think they don't know this, insulin is not a 'choice' for insulin dependent people, its a necessity
Absolutely ! just missing one injection is bad enough isn't it ?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Get back in touch with your hospital team now, and get them to issue you an emergency supply. They can do it as a one off. You will have to go and collect the script from them though.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Anyone else think something is a bit off here, nurses, Dr's and practice managers not understanding that an insulin dependant diabetic needs insulin? The hospital not being able to do prescriptions??
I know our care can sometimes be lacking and the NHS is struggling at the moment but this is unbelievable.