General pattern

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Arrogance and bullies
Hello fellow forum users

I'm a newcomer to the site and I have to say I am shocked and dismayed at the number of individuals struggling to cope with the ignorance demonstrated by employers and managers, when they employ staff with type 1 or 2 diabetes, not to mention other medical conditions. What concerns me is that employers seem to getting away with it more and more in today's society.

I am no exception to this. I recently left a job through bullying by a senior member of staff who treated me more or less as an embarrassment, and with nothing but scepticism when I tried to explain the importance of treating a hypo urgently.
I decided enough was enough and I felt so beaten down by this, I wasn't strong enough to fight back and I'm now under the care of my GP who has put me on antidepressants and referred me to a councillor.

I really don't think enough is done as far as the Equality Act is concerned and I do feel that this is a real issue which should be addressed at Government level.
Yes we may have a medical condition / disability / chronic illness, however you choose to term diabetes, and yes, it can be hard to control at times. Our bodies are working twice as hard to stay on an even keel, as someone without a medical condition, which is something people either don't appreciate or simply don't care about.

We simply need to be allowed to look after ourselves, and employers need to know that if illness affects us, it is likely to hit us harder and take a longer recovery time but we should not be made to feel guilty for this...no one can help being ill.
Instead of placing further pressures on us such as threats of disciplinary action, losing jobs or general maltreatment, we need to be supported. Is that so difficult?

I do think there should be an organisation designed to protect people with diabetes, not because it's worse than any other condition but because so little is understood about it and employers need to appreciate the implications connected with not supporting or allowing people to control it safely. Perhaps an advisory service that employers can consult if they need information to support an employee and/or a service that patients can contact if they are having problems and need advice/an advocate.

If such a body existed, I think I would contact them right now.

If anyone has the means to set something like this up, I would be delighted to work with them.

Stay strong all, it's easy to say and not easy to do but we've all got something positive to contribute to society.

Yours sincerely

S xxx

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Whilst I am all for sticking up for those with diabetes and ensuring fair treatment, I'm not entirely sure we shoul get special treatment. This sends out the wrong message to potential employers and could even have a detrimental affect. Well controlled diabetes should have very little impact on work. If I were an employer and I am paying someones wages, why should I expect a diabetic to have more time off ? More importantly, why would I choose to hire one.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Arrogance and bullies
Mo

I don't think I implied that diabetics should get special treatment as such, there are far worse conditions people have to live with and struggle just as much if not more with employment issues. What I am saying is that perhaps more understanding by employers wouldn't be a bad thing. If that means that employers accessed an advisory body to do it or if an employee felt they needed support in order to maintain their job or improve their working conditions, was having difficulty communicating this to an employer, an advocacy service could be available.

Well controlled diabetes is all very well if you have a settled life without stresses and strains. I envy those who go through life without highs and lows but not everyone is this fortunate. Not every diabetic has a well controlled condition and this is often through no fault of their own. It also does not automatically mean they can't be bothered to look after themselves. There is such a thing as brittle diabetes, which is very hard to control. This includes loss of symptoms and high sensitivity to changes in environment, diet and insulin dosage at any given time. We are all individuals and react differently to situations, it's support we need not criticism and bullying. I'm afraid the "it's not my problem" attitude, is demonstrated by many of today's employers, and our world is the worse for it.

In terms of not employing someone just because they have T1DM or any other medical condition considered to be a disability by the Equality Act 2010 for that matter, we are getting into the realms of unlawful discrimination.

Regards
S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Arrogance and bullies

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Mo

I don't think I implied that diabetics should get special treatment as such, there are far worse conditions people have to live with and struggle just as much if not more with employment issues. What I am saying is that perhaps more understanding by employers wouldn't be a bad thing. If that means that employers accessed an advisory body to do it or if an employee felt they needed support in order to maintain their job or improve their working conditions, was having difficulty communicating this to an employer, an advocacy service could be available.

Well controlled diabetes is all very well if you have a settled life without stresses and strains. I envy those who go through life without highs and lows but not everyone is this fortunate. Not every diabetic has a well controlled condition and this is often through no fault of their own. It also does not automatically mean they can't be bothered to look after themselves. There is such a thing as brittle diabetes, which is very hard to control. This includes loss of symptoms and high sensitivity to changes in environment, diet and insulin dosage at any given time. We are all individuals and react differently to situations, it's support we need not criticism and bullying. I'm afraid the "it's not my problem" attitude, is demonstrated by many of today's employers, and our world is the worse for it.

In terms of not employing someone just because they have T1DM or any other medical condition considered to be a disability by the Equality Act 2010 for that matter, we are getting into the realms of unlawful discrimination.

Regards
S
Whilst your intentions are great, I still can't see why employers should expect to tolerate longer recovery times. The Equality Act currently offers some protection and "reasonable adjustment" is already in place. My opinion is if we keep pushing for more, we send out the wrong message. Guess we'll just agree to disagree :)
Good luck

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Arrogance and bullies
It is a scientific fact that people with diabetes do take longer to heal and recover from illness however I do believe in prevention being better than cure, which means that diabetic or not, we all have a responsibility to ensure we take steps to look after our bodies such as flu-jabs, keeping warm in winter (wearing more layers), maintaining hygiene in the home and at work etc. I think as long as there is an understanding that the employee will be responsible for their own health and safety, then both employer and employee can work together to reach a suitable arrangement in the workplace to keep all parties happy.
There will be times (unfortunately) when illness does strike and as long as the employer knows what to expect prior to one of these occurrences, they can plan cover / duties more efficiently.
Reasonable adjustments do take "special treatment" (if that's how you want to brand this) into consideration and whether or not this appears unfair to individuals who don't understand, it is up to those individuals learn the whys and wherefores instead of resorting to bullying and isolating sufferers.
From a business point of view, I see your point but times have changed and we all need to be more tolerant of differences between us. We live in a multicultural society now.

Many thanks

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I agree that infection would take longer to heal but what scientific fact is there that says diabetics take longer to get better from general illness/virus etc ? I'm certainly aware that illness can and will affect BG levels but nowhere have I seen anything to suggest you will be ill for longer ? Again, I admire your compassion but still we shall just disagree.
Mo