Glicazide and diabetic medication

Jaded Judi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on various meds for type 2 although I am more complicated as have EPI too but lately my blood sugars are getting higher again. I do try to watch my carbs and walk, do gardening etc but can medications stop working? On glicazide 80mg and going to start taking metformin 500g SR again. Fingers crossed no adverse affects. If this doesn't work diabetes nurse says I may have to start on insulin. HBA1c of 67 recently. Help!

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Jaded Judi - what is your average daily carb intake? I have gone very low carb but I know that I find it very easy to 'carb creep'. When I carb creep my numbers also go up. I'm fortunate that because I am very low carb when I carb creep it is still low carb and my levels are still in the normal range. It may be worth recording what you are eating and actually measuring the carbs to see if that's what has happened.

There can also be other factors in your blood sugar levels like stress, illness and lack of sleep. These can be much harder to control unfortunately. I have just been on holidays and my levels were great the whole time (despite a sinus infection which would normally increase them).

Good luck.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. There are other drugs that could be tried before insulin and the Gliclazide dose could be increased up to 320mg but it is rumoured that it can itself cause beta cell death but I've never seen any evidence. I was on 320mg before insulin as well as Metformin.

• Informative
Reactions: dogslife

Jaded Judi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I have been advised to lower my carbs which I will try, but with EPI I cannot digest fats very well which is why I take enzymes to help with this. I am still not sure of the best way to go forward as my diabetic team keep mentioning going on insulin injections which I am trying to avoid for now. I believe that this can increase your weight, which is not helpful and I don't want. I will try to go down to about 130g of carbs a day or more if I can, but unfortunately I can't eat too many fatty things to counteract the hunger!!! Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

• Hug
Reactions: filly

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Good afternoon all. I have been type 2 for 17years+. My blood sugars have been rising for some time. As a result my medication has recently been increased. I was already taking 2x 750mg of metformin and 2 x 80 mg Gliclizide. My Gliclizide was increased to 3x day ( 1 with breakfast and 2 after evening meal along with my 2 Metformin. The recent HbA1c review test increased to 87mm. The doctor who increased my dose has requested to see me to discuss my results. Just interested to hear from anyone who has /is taking other medications with success without going on to use insulin injections please. Thank you.

sue512

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
Good afternoon all. I have been type 2 for 17years+. My blood sugars have been rising for some time. As a result my medication has recently been increased. I was already taking 2x 750mg of metformin and 2 x 80 mg Gliclizide. My Gliclizide was increased to 3x day ( 1 with breakfast and 2 after evening meal along with my 2 Metformin. The recent HbA1c review test increased to 87mm. The doctor who increased my dose has requested to see me to discuss my results. Just interested to hear from anyone who has /is taking other medications with success without going on to use insulin injections please. Thank you.
I’ve tried all sorts in way of drugs and insulin was to be the next step as hba1c had gone back up to 71. Low carbing has brought it down to 41 now and I’m now off most of medication bar 2 (metformin and trulicity ). I don’t know about others but think there is probably only a choice of drastic dietary changes, which don’t take too long to get used to, or starting insulin.

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
After 15 years of well-controlled diabetes on Metformin, diet & exercise ..my HbA1c rocketed to 108 mmol/mol ..in response to that more medication was added stepwise over months ..with Dapagliflozin ..then with Gliclazide ..it is currently 64 mmol/mol ..happily ..I have a clean bill of health at my annual diabetic eye and kidney function screenings ..looking at the ✻trend✻ of my HbA1c results over time ..'triple therapy' has brought me back from the brink (see graph below.)

Attachments

• hba1c_tracker_1.jpg
    hba1c_tracker_1.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 83

Celtic Angel

I have been on various meds for type 2 although I am more complicated as have EPI too but lately my blood sugars are getting higher again. I do try to watch my carbs and walk, do gardening etc but can medications stop working? On glicazide 80mg and going to start taking metformin 500g SR again. Fingers crossed no adverse affects. If this doesn't work diabetes nurse says I may have to start on insulin. HBA1c of 67 recently. Help!
I'm in a similar place to you, I'm taking 1g Metformin sr and 160 glyclazide twice a day, my sugar levels are up and down too.
I've been told that I might have to take insulin, but the nurse is trying me on Emagliflozin, which is supposed to make me wee out more of the sugar to bring my blood sugar levels down. I've been on them for a month but I don't see any changes..I'm scared of going onto insulin incase I would be classed as type 1 diabetic and have a whole lot of things to learn about...

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been T2D for some 30+ years now and always oral meds, not insulin. Seven years ago I was maxed out on triple therapy (Metformin, gliclazide, Actos) and I had an HbA1c of 106. My GP referred me to the hospital for insulin training and therapy since I was at the proverbial Progression point.

I decided to try one last throw of the dice, and this site taught me how to do it. I adopted the LCHF way of eating. My blood sugars and weight plummeted, and I have been in the non diabetic range for over 6 years now. I am on minimum dose (Glic 40 mg/day) and still doing a low carb diet of about 130g/day at a guess. The reason why I was maxed out with no effect all those years ago was because I had developed severe insulin resistance, and this was stopping the meds from working. Now my one tablet drops my sugars by up to 4 mmol/l which is where I seem to need it. I am eating toast and potatoes again, and still managing reasonable sugar levels.

If you are finding glic is not working then it is probably due to IR, and you need to adopt diet method to shift the IR. LCHF is one way and the Newcastle diet is another way that seem to work according to the Success stories thread. Medications for diabetes are mostly aimed at increasing pancreas output, which is actually counterproductive to what you need to shift IR

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. There are other drugs that could be tried before insulin and the Gliclazide dose could be increased up to 320mg but it is rumoured that it can itself cause beta cell death but I've never seen any evidence. I was on 320mg before insulin as well as Metformin.
My DN is trying to push this theory and put me on insulin, I've point blank refused. Yes my levels are to high and need to come down, but they're consistent and have been for 2+ years, if my beta cells were failing my numbers would be going up. I know that I'm extremely insulin resistant, so adding more insulin into the mix isn't going to help. I am once again taking strict control of my diet and trying to shift more of my visceral fat

Reactions: Oldvatr

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

My mother couldn’t tolerate metformin, She was on max dose of gliazide (2 x 80mg morning and same again at night). After she was put on a statin her sugars started to rise and was told to stop eating sweets (she wasn’t). They eventually put her on diapaglaflozin (one tablet on a morning - 5mg I think) and that did the trick. She couldn’t go on insulin as she was blind.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
She couldn’t go on insulin as she was blind.
Bit confused by this, as there are type 1's who are blind and have no choice but to be on insulin. District nurses will come and give injections.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit confused by this, as there are type 1's who are blind and have no choice but to be on insulin. District nurses will come and give injections.

The only way they would allow her to go on insulin was if a nurse was sent to the house to give the injections. My mother wouldn’t agree to this as it would then make her housebound

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I jogged along nicely on gliclazide, diet and exercise and was just about being regarded as 'in remission' but then my levels started to rise and I ended up on MDI of insulin due to my pancreas having had enough and deciding to go slow on insulin production. I do have a feeling that what did my pancreas in was the gliclazide hammering it. : could be quite wrong though - I'm no medic.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you get your insulin production (cpeptide test) checked to establish if your issue is insulin resistance or an absolute lack of insulin. The approach to treat these is (or should be) quite different.

• Agree
Reactions: Oldvatr