gliclazide/headaches ??

sue999

hi, was told last friday my hba1 c was 8.6 ,so dr has increased my gliclazide. i am now on the maximum dose. also on max dose off metformin. since taking the extra gliclazide, i have had a constant headache. painkillers will not get rid off it. also feeling sick. is this the meds, or high bs levels?

wilkinsonpj

Hi Sue,

It could be the meds, they affect different people in so many different ways. I had the same issues with Metformin and Gliclazide (always feeling nausious and headaches etc but i also had the trots real bad) I was taken of the oral meds after trying slow release metformin and it didn't get any better. If it persists tell your GP or your DSN, they may try slow release metformin with you so your body absorbs the meds slower and not in one big bang twice a day. Im now on insulin which is much better for me and the gut issues have completely gone... :D

Hope you get sorted soon...

Cheers,
Pete

sue999

hi pete, thanks for the reply. i am on the slow release metformin. have also has bad stomache since increasing the gliclazide. dr has already said, if this doesnt work it will be insulin :oops:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sue999

I was on Met SR and Glic full dose with no problems but still not well controlled so my GP added Sitagliptin as she is not keen on insulin. The Sitagliptin (Januvia) has helped reduce my spikes so it is another option prior to insulin.

sue999

hi daibell, that is handy to know, thanks. so far the extra medicine is not working, and i have been very carefull :problem: i have been worried about going on insulin, as i dont know if my car insurance would go up, or if i would still be able to drive?

wilkinsonpj

Hi sue,

I am on insulin 5 times a day and drive around 40,000 miles a year. Had to inform DVLA and now i have to re-new my licence every 3 yrs but am perfectly legal to drive. Not sure about the insurance impacts though as i drive a company car but i'm sure if had a massive impact my employers would have said so (knowing them! lol)....

Cheers,
Pete.