Glucose Monitors

SAMU51

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all,

Just wondering if these monitors are regulated. I am currently using two monitors because my original one was always giving high reading and not making me notice my hypos. I have a new one and the difference in the readings is staggering! For example, my fasting for this morning on the new one was 6.6 and the old one was 9.3! Why the vast difference?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Welcome. Which monitors are you using? I have the Libre CGM. I still finger prick to check my actual blood sugars and use the CGM for the trend arrow. This morning my Libre (tissue) read 8.8 mmol/l and my freestyle lite (blood finger prick) 4.3 mmol/l. Yesterday my Libre read 6.1 and my freestyle lite 7.1. It's impossible to use this data to model.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All monitors are regulated to perform within a certain standard before they can be marketed.

Under the new standard from May 2016, meters will need to meet the accuracy guidelines 95% of the time:
  • Within± 0.83 mmol/L of laboratory results at concentrations of under 5.6 mmol/L
  • Within ± 15% of laboratory results at concentrations of 5.6 mmol/L or more
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/blood-glucose-meter-accuracy.html

Have you checked the strips for your original meter that they are not out of date? Do you keep the strips stored as per the instructions? Do you wash your hands, rinse, and dry thoroughly before testing?

Which meters do you use?

SAMU51

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome. Which monitors are you using? I have the Libre CGM. I still finger prick to check my actual blood sugars and use the CGM for the trend arrow. This morning my Libre (tissue) read 8.8 mmol/l and my freestyle lite (blood finger prick) 4.3 mmol/l. Yesterday my Libre read 6.1 and my freestyle lite 7.1. It's impossible to use this data to model.
Thanks for all responses. My original monitor was a Accu-Chek Proforma Nano and the new one is GlucoRx Q. I do follow both storage and hygiene to the letter.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Everything can and will eventually malfunction. Dump the one you're not happy with and use the one you think is more accurate

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all responses. My original monitor was a Accu-Chek Proforma Nano and the new one is GlucoRx Q. I do follow both storage and hygiene to the letter.
How old is the accuchek? I asl this because until about 2006, all meters were calibrated to what was called Whole Blood because that was an attempt to match their readings to Plasma equivalent such as measured in a hospital blood screening. This was changed and most modern meters are calibrated to read Plasma Equivalent. The older calibration will give readings about 1,2 mmol/l higher than a modern meter consistently.

However, I believe Accuchek made the transition by changing their strips, so no changes were needed for the meter itself, so it should be transparent to the user. In your case this would only be an issue if using older strips stock. I have however found that fraudsters did buy up old stock cheaply and then re-branded them with a new datecode on the box, Check the box and make sure it has not been poorly printed or a sticker slapped on it - I had one such batch for an older Abbott meter of mine which was actually supplied by a reputable pharmacy against a GP scrip.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Use just 1 meter that you are happy with multiple meters will always be different...

If you have lost trust in the old one ditch it... Or contact the manufacturer and ask for a replacement.

SAMU51

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How old is the accuchek? I asl this because until about 2006, all meters were calibrated to what was called Whole Blood because that was an attempt to match their readings to Plasma equivalent such as measured in a hospital blood screening. This was changed and most modern meters are calibrated to read Plasma Equivalent. The older calibration will give readings about 1,2 mmol/l higher than a modern meter consistently.

However, I believe Accuchek made the transition by changing their strips, so no changes were needed for the meter itself, so it should be transparent to the user. In your case this would only be an issue if using older strips stock. I have however found that fraudsters did buy up old stock cheaply and then re-branded them with a new datecode on the box, Check the box and make sure it has not been poorly printed or a sticker slapped on it - I had one such batch for an older Abbott meter of mine which was actually supplied by a reputable pharmacy against a GP scrip.
Thanks. My Accu-Chek is 2018 and so are the strips...

SAMU51

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Use just 1 meter that you are happy with multiple meters will always be different...

If you have lost trust in the old one ditch it... Or contact the manufacturer and ask for a replacement.

Many thanks