Good Guys

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think fergus wants HPC to agree with his stance on low carbing !

No. I'd be happy if they (HCP)simply did what the BNF required them to do.
Nor am I suggesting that all diabetics follow a single approach to diet. If there isn't a one size fits all for the few of us on the forum, then there isn't a celluloid dog chasing an asbestos cat through hell's chance of consensus on a bigger scale.
What I do think many people might benefit from however is access to medics who are prepared to consider the benefits of carb restriction rather than dismiss it, or even oppose it, as we know still happens.
Perhaps this isn't the best way of creating such a resource and I agree naming names on the forum probably isn't appropriate. Still, it's encouraging to hear that members have good experiences with their healthcare teams rather than the bad ones we too often hear about.

fergus

sixfoot

Reading this thread with mild amusement, Why it occurs to me does Ally suffer threats but not for example Katherine who seems to attract nothing but praise !!

Perhaps someone could enlighten me
Dave P

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
I have removed the surnames. We should not publish the name of any HCP without their express permission to do so.

Thirsty

Indeed, Sue. I'm not joking here; my friend's wife committed suicide after some scumbag obtained all her personal details through the internet and then made her life a misery.

That's an extreme example but do be careful, folks.

ally5555

Fergus in truth the BNF is important but it must be used with the local guidelines and protocols for diabetes that are in place.

interesting point because the stress I was caused came from an individual who advocates a low carb diet - altho I have to say i am not completely sure who it was - very complicated.

I suppose i dared to disagree lol!

I know posting makes you vulnerable so I have to remain anonymous!

bunty

Although i've all but given up posting on this forum, due to the aggression i received etc etc...

I should like to say that my GP is lovely - she looked at this forum, too, when i told her about it.

I low-carb and have take one Met 850mg a day and my HbA1c results are 5:6; 5:4; 5:4 and 5:4 and my GP and nurse asked how i achieved what they called 'remarkable results.

Mt GP said she had never met a diabetic before me who had such great results and she asked how i did it, without going mad and cutting out food groups entirely.

Because i'm sensible and take an interest and try to control my disease, she waived the practice rule about rationing test strips and i have whatever i want, when i want. She told me, 'You're clearly educated and in control, you work hard and you can have test strips on demand'.

I also get 4-monthly HbA1cs, if i want them, so we keep a tight control.

How good is she?

I feel very lucky and i just wish i could broadcast her name!

bunty
(going back to reading, not posting, now, lol)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Good for you Bunty.I wish all ,Gp's and indeed diabetics were as committed as you and your doctor.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
bunty said:
Although i've all but given up posting on this forum, due to the aggression i received etc etc...

Point them this way - we have ways of dealing with such things ! :evil:

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Bunty,

I couldn't agree more with what the others have said. I am really envious of your HBA1Cs, those figures are amazing. And the consistency shows that it is sustainable, so great work!

bunty

The consistency is something that never fails to surprise me and the nurse/GP!

Because i dont lead a regimented life as far as grub is concerned, as a rule and will allow myself to be 'non-diabetic' now and then as a huge treat. Maybe because i remind myself that such occasions are treats but possible treats, i dont resent the other days?

However, despite the stable HbA1c results, i did gain almost two stone since October, so it's not all good! Thus, in the past 10 days i have really got a grip of myself and set-to with a will to lose that weight and get back into form.

And guess how i'm doing it?

Really, REALLY low-carbs! LOLOL!!

In 10 days i have lost 5 pounds and i aim to be back to normal by sometime in May, fingers crossed.

I cant say i'm happy but sloth got me this way and determination will get me out of it. I'm hampered by the pain from arthritis, which annoyingly is in my left hip, right knee and left foot, so i cant even limp fast, on a bad day, lol. But i know that excess weight is additional strain on my joints so i feel confident that in time, i'll be reasonably OK.

Hunger is a daily battle but i do OK. It's a matter of mind over tummy, if i'm to fit back into my clothes. I cant eat nuts or soya, which is limiting on the food stakes but i have grown to love low-fat cheese spreads, low-fat tuna pate, celery, cheeses of all kinds, salmon and salmon pate.

Last night i made a mistake, i think. I dont know why, because my food intake had been the same as usual, but i went to bed hungry and tired. I think i went low during the night, as i woke at 0230ish (and mindful that the clocks had changed that night) feeling disorientated. I checked my b.g and it was 6.5, which flummoxed me, seeing as my last food, supper, had been at 11pm and had been one fat-free yoghurt, with 14.4g of carbs and some celery with virtually carb-free low-fat cream cheese - and tea had been no carbs to mention.

Now, this sort of thing fills me with impotent rage at my body! It's just so darned unfair, to read a fairly high number like that literally hours and hours later!

But a new day and a fresh bowl of porridge later...

Thank you for your supportive comments!

bunty

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Bunty,

I see you are concentrating on low-fat, but remember that fat is only damaging to health in combination with high amounts of carbs. On a low carb diet you can have much more fat without adverse effects, and fat also fills you up and will leave you less hungry beyween meals.

I wondered if you have considered glucosamine for you arthritis? Here's an article on it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/ask_the_doc ... mine.shtml

Grumpy

More good guys; went to see the DSN today who patted me on the head, told me I'd lost half a stone (God knows where from - brain, perhaps?) and when I said I was lowcarbing, said 'Well it evidently works for you; keep it up!'

bunty

Dennis, thank you for that suggestion and in fact, one of my work colleagues had told me about it and i tried it for 3 weeks until i ran out. I've a terrible memory and keep forgetting to replace it because i did find it helped.

As for the low fat, well, i swopped my semi-slimmed milk for channel island milk for my porridge (the real stuff that Grandma used to make) and strangely, i no longer get hungry late morning.

I also have smoked salmon with cream cheese and that isnt lowfat. I try to balance it but with the greatly reduced carbs i'm on at the moment,i think i should be OK. I still do have carbs...the porridge, the milk and my two fat-free yoghurts a day plus some evenings, i make a sauce to go with my meal and that has milk (semi-slimmed this time) and whatever carbs are in the packet mix itself. Other than that, i have no carbs at all.

I dont know how many carbs i eat in a day. This is what i ate yesterday:

45g whole oat porridge
300ml channel island milk

i small tub tuna pate (2.5g carbs i think)
celery
red pepper
yellow pepper
Muller Light yoghurt

baked lean pork chops
broccoli
brussels
mushrooms
mushroom/garlic sauce made with 1/2 pink semi-slimmed milk

I dont know how many carbs, if any, are in the red and yellow peppers but as i cant eat fruit (allergies) i try to eat one of those a day.

Some people dont cope well with porridge but as can be seen from my results, i do fine on them and dont need anything to eat until lunchtime.

Today i feel despondent, though because i was weighing myself daily on my elderly bathroom scales but they were 'sticking' and showing differing numbers each time i got on and off...so i bought a new set. And this morning i weighed myself and i'm 4 pounds heavier than i was yesterday!

Sob!

I shall have to think of something more to give up and i suppose it has to be the sauces i have with my main meal.

bunty

Aadrgon

bunty said:
Today i feel despondent, though because i was weighing myself daily on my elderly bathroom scales but they were 'sticking' and showing differing numbers each time i got on and off...so i bought a new set. And this morning i weighed myself and i'm 4 pounds heavier than i was yesterday!

Hi Bunty
That might just be the difference between your old scales and your new scales. Also bear in mind that there might be days where you don't lose weight or even gain weight - as long as the trend is downwards over a longer period.
Don't feel despondent, it sounds like you are doing fine :)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Bunty,try just weighing yourself once a week,on the same morning.Weight and water retention variations mean that weight can vary day to day and even at different times of day.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
bunty said:

Just remember you've lost at least the weight you thought you had, because the old scales were reading low.

Sob!

I shall have to think of something more to give up and i suppose it has to be the sauces i have with my main meal.

What thickener do you use?

Dipstick

Can anyone tell my why GP's bury their head in the sand with type II and testing. Surely it is important for us to know what is going on with our sugars rather than rely on testing once a week. My GP absolutely hates prescribing test sticks for me (even when I have to take steroids for my asthma and my sugars rise to 20!) he just says no need for testing so much! :roll:

Davi

bunty said:
I dont know how many carbs i eat in a day. This is what i ate yesterday:

Hi I'm new here, I'll post an introduction here once I've finished packing my uni room up but though I could help you with this.

http://fitday.com/ lets you track everything you eat and your exercise in an easy and free way, allthough you can pay for added features.

http://caloriecount.about.com this site can help when creating custom foods to add to your diet log

http://www.curezone.com/conversions.asp and this can help with converting the funny american weights