1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Goodbye

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by AM1874, Oct 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodywhippet61

woodywhippet61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I will miss your posts. You were one of the people to respond to my first post and thus one of the first people to offer help to me.

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Diabeticliberty. So I'm now bitter and aggressive!!!!!!!
    Thank you for your input.
    As with the majority of your posts, I shall smile at your sense of humour.

• Hug Hug x 1
  3. woodywhippet61

Wow why did you think that comment was aimed at you. See how easy it is to make assumptions and become offended or defensive or aggressive on these forums.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. MikeTurin

MikeTurin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Can't agree more
    I have read this thread and I have a couple of things to say about the question. I have followed both the threads and didn't find anything rude or offensive.
    What I see is that there are some people, not only @AM1874 that have found the right combination of diet, testing and whatever and they are perusing LCHF or Atkins or whatever sometimes rapid firing canned boilerplate answers in addition and before the "welcome message" for new members from @daisy1.

I am an old timer of on-line communities, so I somewhat understand that a message written by someone on a random BBS, a book on the subject, your doctor advice and an article printed on Lancet, Nature or Science have a different weight.
    Other people that are newer netizens maybe could be less aware of this. On the other hand without a direct and complete understanding of the situation on the other part even the best advice could be wrong because some factors one foresee.
    For instance the advice to but a specific brand of meter could be false if one isn't in UK but for instance not for Ireland, Canada or United States.
    I am using another brand of meter because I've found that some pharmacies are selling you strips at a discounted rate if you agree to buy a minimal quantity of canisters for year, and gives you the less fancy meters for a token sum like 5€. But because it's a local thing I don't say this on forums, because I think I am the only one here that lives in Turin.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    #44 MikeTurin, Oct 16, 2017 at 9:30 AM
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  5. therower

Because the reason the OP has decided to make his decisions is purely down to replies he got from me and one other.
    Have you bothered to read the full history of this thread?

6. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I would suggest that no one ever assumes that their advice is going to be relevant to the person they are addressing (regardless of diabetes type), until they have done the following:
    - checked what type of diabetes the person has (should be visible under their profile picture, but isn't always)
    - checked what medication they are on (may be in their signature, may be on their profile, but isn't always)
    - checked for other health complaints that may affect the response (may be in the sig, or profile, but aren't always)
    - has carefully read the post to which they are responding (little details like country, blood glucose units, etc. can make a big difference).

If you can't work out any of those things from the information available, then don't make assumptions
    just ask.

And no, I don't pretend to do this all the time. I am human. So are you. We all jump to conclusions, make mistakes, post in a hurry, etc. etc.
    But it is a great goal, isn't it?
    To actually read carefully, and tailor the answer to the person you are addressing, in order to give out relevant information.

I would also encourage every forum user to complete their profile with all their health conditions, meds and an accurate description of the diabetes type.
    It really does help people to help each other.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Well @AM1874 you can please some of the people some of the time but cannot please all of the people, all of the time. ♡♥♡

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. woodywhippet61

I haven't found the 3rd topic but have read the other two and yes I have read this thread.

Please note I could have written BOTHERED to read this thread and thus taken offence at you using that word. But this morning I'm feeling chilled out and I didn't. :) I made the choice not be offended. We can all do this but sometimes it's easier than other times.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hug Hug x 1
    #48 woodywhippet61, Oct 16, 2017 at 10:10 AM
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  9. AM1874

AM1874 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Last post ..
    You don't really need it but permission granted for anyone who thinks it might help to copy and paste anything I have written
    Thanks everyone ..

• Hug Hug x 6
  10. Diabeticliberty

Diabeticliberty · Guest

If you have read the majority of my posts then please appreciate I have no absolutely no problem with articulating myself. With this in mind had my post been directed at you then I would have named you. I didn't name you because my post was not directed at you :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

AM1874 - Perhaps take a bit of time away from the forum, then see how you feel. I'm sure, for one reason or another, many, many of us have had the "do I really need this in my life" thoughts. Sometimes a few days, weeks or even months away helps a lot.

I don't think anyone wants you to leave, but if that is your decision, then I respect respect your decision.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. therower

But your post was directed at someone nonetheless. On account you haven't named names are we all to assume we could possibly fall victim to being bitter and aggressive?
    I find your humour on the forum most refreshing and have no argument with you, but feel the comment you made should have had a specific target. If not then best not make such a comment.

• Like Like x 1
  13. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So who was this directed at? Had you read the threads in question? Where is the evidence of any bitterness or aggressiveness in those threads? I don't see it. And let's be honest I'm probably "the other" potential candidate other than @therower and it's a bit upsetting to be thought of in those terms. If you could explain where you see the agression and bitterness it would be helpful if you could explain it to me so that I can try not to inadvertently give off such an impression in future.

Similarly @phdiabetic i would be grateful if you could explain what part of the threads in question you think show anyone crazy, stupid or mean?

@JohnEGreen would you please be able to explain where to threads in question were patronising or condescending? If you could highlight what gives off that impression from posts in the thread in question one could learn to avoid posting in a way that would be unintentionally perceived as patronising and condescending.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Diabeticliberty

Diabeticliberty · Guest

I was at that time of the opinion that anybody being made to feel that they had to leave the Forum due to negative comments by other posters could have only be doing so because of bitter and aggressive replies. I will confess that at that time I had not read the thread being referred to. I will also confess that I absolutely should have read it before posting my own reply. For that I apologise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Diabeticliberty

Diabeticliberty · Guest

My reply to @therower was being posted as you posted your own reply. Please refer to it.

16. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not directed at anyone in particular but this is a forum, people give their opinions, why not just take it or leave it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. oh_dear_me

oh_dear_me · Guest

Oh this is such a shame :( I hope you don't leave AM1874. I was so very grateful for your help and suggestions when I was first diagnosed in April this year.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  18. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you.

19. JTL

JTL Type 2 · Well-Known Member

20. JTL

JTL Type 2 · Well-Known Member

How dare you utter the B word so casually!!!!

• Funny Funny x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook