Got It Off My Chest!

Tuesday

Dislikes
Carb confusion
...and it feels so good!

Over the past couple of weeks, I started going to the gym and changed to the low-carb diet. Since then, I've had heavenly BG readings and I feel fabulous.

Imagine, for 16 years I was told to eat plenty of potatoes, rice, blah blah, only to discover they make me spike horribly. I know I am partially responsible for this in that I took every single word of the dietitian as law. I did not realise that the information is generic. Better late than dead from complications though eh?!

Anyway, I told (ranted at) my doctor today about the changes I have made, showed her my readings from the past fortnight and she was totally gob-smacked. In just 2 weeks my morning reading has gone from 17.2 to 5.5. On asking where I got my information from, I told her about this website and she wrote it down. She then asked if I wanted to see a dietitian....I was like :shock: but we laughed it off.

I love love love this site and thank God I came across it. Big thanks to you all.

xXx

Grazer

Well done Tuesday. The key now perhaps is to find a level (and type) of carbs that :-
1) Maintains the Blood Sugars you want
2) Maintains the weight you want (not too fat, not too thin)
3) Is a level you can comfortably live with in the long term

Good luck!

Fallenstar

Fantastic news Tuesday :D Rant away, it is so good to hear a success story...all under your own volition :D

It's amazing what cutting out those starchy carbs and exercise can do, you won't ever want to go back because you remember how bad it made you feel and how good you feel now....and great BG results. It's a win win eh!

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But matching insulin to carbohydrate intake, exercise etc is the key, and that can happen for someone type 1 diabetes on basal bolus insulin regime, even with average / high carbohydrate diet.

Tuesday

Dislikes
Carb confusion
Thank you all.

I'm still experimenting with the carbs as it would be nice not to have to have a bite of a Mars before the gym. It feels weird even saying that....my bloods were never below 7 before!

So, facebook abandoned, the recipe forum is my new home and right after uni tomorrow, I'm trying out the famous celeriac mash, roasted pepper hummus, almond bark and something nice made with ground almonds.

Don't think I've had this much energy in years :D