Government Better Health Campaign is now active

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Links to "GetSlim", "Weightwatchers" and "Slimming World" outrageous.. and "in association" with Public Health England..

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forcing pubs, restaurants, takeaways and sandwich bars to display calorie labeling is new. Makes it more likely that these outlets will offer prepared precooked and reheated fare more often simply to avoid having everything tested and assayed. I believe that a way round it is to assume a gram of carbs = 4 kcal, protein = 7 kcal, fat = 9kcal etc so it will mean weighing everything on the plate and getting the calculator out.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Forcing pubs, restaurants, takeaways and sandwich bars to display calorie labeling is new. Makes it more likely that these outlets will offer prepared precooked and reheated fare more often simply to avoid having everything tested and assayed. I believe that a way round it is to assume a gram of carbs = 4 kcal, protein = 7 kcal, fat = 9kcal etc so it will mean weighing everything on the plate and getting the calculator out.

I rather thought it was for food establishments that employ more than 250 people, so the big chains rather than small independent places. Am I wrong?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I rather thought it was for food establishments that employ more than 250 people, so the big chains rather than small independent places. Am I wrong?
I think franchisees are exempt because each 'shop'; is locally owned and employs a local workforce. So Big Mac and Big Ken, Dominoes etc escape? In my town, Marco Pierre White has a restaurant - actually he hires space in a hotel chain and franchises it out so presumably he escapes too? Is this a glaring loophole in the new plan? Uber Eats could make a killing out of this. Will there be many places employing 250 people in the post Covid world? Will there be customers anyway?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The comments seem to have diverted away from the reason that the government has come up with this campaign?

UK is an unhealthy nation. It is probably not a coincidence that the UK is in the top three European countries for obesity as well as having the highest death rate in Europe from the pandemic.

Rather than complaining about what your government has proposed, has anyone any ideas how the nation can address this shocking statistic?
Yes.. the way most of us have addressed the issue of excess weight.. cut carbs.. its fairly simple but pretty effective.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is the way you have addressed your problem.
I was asking about the problem of the nation - and avoiding it happening to more people.

It's a great way to address the nation's problem.. as Tom Watson, matt Hancock and quite a few others have discovered? Including many of us.
It also appears to work quite effectively.

Reactions: Evie-D

lindisfel

Expert
I saw the Tedstone lady from phe on tele the other day, heard her once on R4 lunch time prog. I cant really say I remember anything she said that would help obesity.
D.

M

Member496333

Rather than complaining about what your government has proposed, has anyone any ideas how the nation can address this shocking statistic?

Yeah I have a plan. Unfortunately it's on hold until I can save up several hundred billion dollars of lobbying cash.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The comments seem to have diverted away from the reason that the government has come up with this campaign?

UK is an unhealthy nation. It is probably not a coincidence that the UK is in the top three European countries for obesity as well as having the highest death rate in Europe from the pandemic.

In the early stages of the lockdown I was cycling quite a lot and was surprised at the number of cars simply delivering take away foods, the local pizza chain appears to open at lunchtime even which I found shocking as the body doesn't want those saturated fats soaking the carbs up at that time of day (any time of day in our house :p)

CICO, calories in/calories is the one I've always worked to, it's a simple enough idea but not many folk ever look at it but it certainly works for me, I've had to cut around 60g carbs a day from my diet during the lockdown keeping my injections the same and have gained no weight so far :)

Reactions: In Response

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have clarified my comment above - I meant highest number of deaths.
However, regardless whether it is the deaths per million (674) or total number of deaths (over 45,000), my point remains - the statistic is shocking.

I don't recall saying that it wasn't shocking.. however there are a number of reasons for it being so bad.
One of the main ones being as you so succinctly noted in your first post

UK is an unhealthy nation

None of us would disagree however as we have experienced first hand it is possible to rapidly improve our own health by cutting out highly processed foods, sugar and general carbohydrates. There's no good reason why this wouldn't work equally well for the nation as a whole.

Telling people to use a bicycle more often obviously didn't work for the PM (although I can recall seeing him riding around the streets of London when Mayor) nor did his jogging.. maybe he needs to look at his diet more.

Reactions: JenniferM55
M

Member496333

@bulkbiker I wouldn't mind betting 10p that Johnson's recent weight loss has come about after having a good old chinwag with Keto Hancock. He's most certainly hyperinsulinemic, which makes taking the dog for a walk highly unlikely to shift even one gram of fat.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker I wouldn't mind betting 10p that Johnson's recent weight loss has come about after having a good old chinwag with Keto Hancock. He's most certainly hyperinsulinemic, which makes taking the dog for a walk highly unlikely to shift even one gram of fat.
So then he needs the kahunas to admit how he’s achieved the weight loss he has ......

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have a solution but I think it needs to address the cause of obesity rather than "curing" obesity.
I appreciate obesity is complex but some reducing obesity must involve education and "carrots" rather than "sticks".
And that is why we are criticising. The low calories low fat message the gov are doubling down on has failed miserably for the last 40 yrs. People are following the guidelines, on the whole, and getting fatter and sicker but we are blamed for cheating.

The cause of the problem is what we are told is healthy to eat! And if this doesn’t change neither will the results

Reactions: JenniferM55

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have a solution but I think it needs to address the cause of obesity rather than "curing" obesity.
I appreciate obesity is complex but some reducing obesity must involve education and "carrots" rather than "sticks".
And if obesity is a symptom of a poorly metabolism (which makes a lot of sense) then we need to fix that.. which for many would be achieved through cutting carbs to a greater or lesser extent so...