1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Government Better Health Campaign is now active

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by Oldvatr, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Same old same old...

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. bulkbiker

Links to "GetSlim", "Weightwatchers" and "Slimming World" outrageous.. and "in association" with Public Health England..

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

Forcing pubs, restaurants, takeaways and sandwich bars to display calorie labeling is new. Makes it more likely that these outlets will offer prepared precooked and reheated fare more often simply to avoid having everything tested and assayed. I believe that a way round it is to assume a gram of carbs = 4 kcal, protein = 7 kcal, fat = 9kcal etc so it will mean weighing everything on the plate and getting the calculator out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I rather thought it was for food establishments that employ more than 250 people, so the big chains rather than small independent places. Am I wrong?

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

I think franchisees are exempt because each 'shop'; is locally owned and employs a local workforce. So Big Mac and Big Ken, Dominoes etc escape? In my town, Marco Pierre White has a restaurant - actually he hires space in a hotel chain and franchises it out so presumably he escapes too? Is this a glaring loophole in the new plan? Uber Eats could make a killing out of this. Will there be many places employing 250 people in the post Covid world? Will there be customers anyway?

7. bulkbiker

Yes.. the way most of us have addressed the issue of excess weight.. cut carbs.. its fairly simple but pretty effective.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  8. bulkbiker

It's a great way to address the nation's problem.. as Tom Watson, matt Hancock and quite a few others have discovered? Including many of us.
    It also appears to work quite effectively.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. bulkbiker

Belgium?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Groundhog Day.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

I saw the Tedstone lady from phe on tele the other day, heard her once on R4 lunch time prog. I cant really say I remember anything she said that would help obesity.
    D.

12. Jim Lahey

Yeah I have a plan. Unfortunately it's on hold until I can save up several hundred billion dollars of lobbying cash.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. bulkbiker

McDonalds has a very full and detailed breakdown of all their food on their website.. you can even build the nutrition profile of the individual components.

14. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

In the early stages of the lockdown I was cycling quite a lot and was surprised at the number of cars simply delivering take away foods, the local pizza chain appears to open at lunchtime even which I found shocking as the body doesn't want those saturated fats soaking the carbs up at that time of day (any time of day in our house :p)

CICO, calories in/calories is the one I've always worked to, it's a simple enough idea but not many folk ever look at it but it certainly works for me, I've had to cut around 60g carbs a day from my diet during the lockdown keeping my injections the same and have gained no weight so far :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. bulkbiker

I don't recall saying that it wasn't shocking.. however there are a number of reasons for it being so bad.
    One of the main ones being as you so succinctly noted in your first post

None of us would disagree however as we have experienced first hand it is possible to rapidly improve our own health by cutting out highly processed foods, sugar and general carbohydrates. There's no good reason why this wouldn't work equally well for the nation as a whole.

Telling people to use a bicycle more often obviously didn't work for the PM (although I can recall seeing him riding around the streets of London when Mayor) nor did his jogging.. maybe he needs to look at his diet more.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Jim Lahey

@bulkbiker I wouldn't mind betting 10p that Johnson's recent weight loss has come about after having a good old chinwag with Keto Hancock. He's most certainly hyperinsulinemic, which makes taking the dog for a walk highly unlikely to shift even one gram of fat.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

And your solution is?

18. HSSS

So then he needs the kahunas to admit how he’s achieved the weight loss he has ......

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. HSSS

And that is why we are criticising. The low calories low fat message the gov are doubling down on has failed miserably for the last 40 yrs. People are following the guidelines, on the whole, and getting fatter and sicker but we are blamed for cheating.

The cause of the problem is what we are told is healthy to eat! And if this doesn’t change neither will the results

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. bulkbiker

And if obesity is a symptom of a poorly metabolism (which makes a lot of sense) then we need to fix that.. which for many would be achieved through cutting carbs to a greater or lesser extent so...

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook