GP uses low carb diet with 13 patients -amazed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhitbyJet

Southport GP, thank you for posting, this forum can only benefit from having you on board.

I dont post here very often, I am now a member of a Noridc forum, also here > http://blogg.passagen.se/dahlqvistannika/ have you heard Dr Dahlqvists story/battle with the Swedish authorities re lchf?

Personally I dont know why some people are so cautious when it comes to trying out a low carb diet, dont wait around for studies, just try it out for yourselves, the results speak for themselves.

This is my 6th year of lchf, see my signature for Hb1ac results, I never had a weight problem, my weight has always been stable. Years of poorly controlled diabetes resulted in complications, retinopathy, CKD, gastroparesis and neuropathy, lchf helped me to reverse complications, CKD from stage 3 - 4 gone to stage 2, I am left with slight numbness in the little toe on right foot and middle toe on the left, and thats all.
6 years of LCHF and I am healthier than ever, the food I eat is delicious :)

Good health to all.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sid Bonkers said:
Its also very strange that such a high drop in HbA1c's would be recorded after only 7 or 8 weeks as red blood cells live longer than that so I dont understand how such a high drop could be recorded, how is this possible?

At the time of diagnosis, my HBA1c was around 79 but when I was tested at 8 weeks, it was down at 48. I was irritated by the DN who kept telling me that testing at 8 weeks was normal. It's now gone up from 8 weeks to 6 months. I have no idea what their rationale is.

Assuming you cut down on carbs right away, the older red cells, which are the most numerous with glucose bound to them, are the first to go. They may already be a few weeks old by the time the glucose has become bound to them because of the slow rate at which Hb A combines with glucose. Therefore, you get a bigger drop initially and it typically follows a 'half - life' curve.

Image1.gif

Obviously, if one waits 12 weeks, the HBA1c would be lower still. In addition, athough red blood cells have a life of 100 - 120 days, several things can shorten that lifespan, including some drugs and low levels of iron.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
stuffedolive said:
I frankly don't believe that SouthportGP is a GP at all. I would expect a much more intelligent and reserved post from such a member of the medical profession.

Naww. Having played against both the medics and dentists in the inter mural soccer league at uni, I can assure you that elevating them to such a level is unwarranted.

Furthermore, when two ward doctors laugh at making a mistake such as transfusing two patients with the wrong blood, through not checking the names on the wrist bands, I can assure you they don't improve with age either. And when a surgeon goes against the advice of transfusion and proceeds with an operation for which no cross matched blood is available, soley because he wants to get off early to catch the ferry so he can watch the F1 in Belgium, you start to wonder how they get away with it.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
julie54 said:
However, when the challenges and accusations of 'troll' (not sure what that is!) appeared, I then thought I had been somewhat naive.

Trolls are an important part of nordic folklore and their association with internet forums is entirely specious. I think whoever introduced the term got trolls confused with Loki, noted for deception and trickery.

John Bauer is a famous illustrator of trolls in Sweden. Here is a picture of a troll practicing in paediatrics:

bauertrolls.jpg

G

graj0

I'm very interested in these findings.
As a type II diabetic I have followed conventional dietary advice from GPs and hospital dieticians for 6 years, especially the "don't cut your carbs" bit, and although my blood glucose was always good, I never lost a gram, despite reducing daily calories by 1,000 and doing a lot of exercise.
About six weeks ago I embarked on a low carb diet, with my present GP's blessing, just cutting out the obvious things like bread, spuds, rice and pasta. I have now lost about 4kgs (I say about because my weight can change dramatically due to fluid) and my blood glucose is down from 7.5 to 5.5 (average, haven't had a HbA1c yet).
I could never see what was so wrong about reducing carbs but I'm not a medic, so followed conventional advise. The only problem now is that I've come close to having a couple of hypos, but I'm hoping I can eventually reduce the Gliclazide which I believe has been making the weight loss impossible.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Giverny said:
Hi all - we've just verified that Southport GP is indeed a real GP, and not a 'low carb troll' as has been suggested. We're happy for him to continue posting here :)

So, Sid Bonkers and the others who offered such a 'warm' welcome to this GP; I assume you are busy composing your heartfelt apologies for your unpleasantness?

Argue all you want about strategies for controlling blood sugars but when you are patently wrong and rude about something the decent thing to do would be to apologise wouldn't it?

Dillinger

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who already follows a low carb diet. I'm so glad a Gp has found this helpful to patients. PLEASE PUBLISH IT!
Some of us find we're batting our heads against a wall trying to persuade Healthcare professions that it works. Next thing we'll hear is that it should only be done for a limited period of time and dire warnings of uspecified dangers. I've been doing it for at least 8 years with no discernable harmful effects
Hana

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
Dillinger said:
So, Sid Bonkers and the others who offered such a 'warm' welcome to this GP; I assume you are busy composing your heartfelt apologies for your unpleasantness?

Argue all you want about strategies for controlling blood sugars but when you are patently wrong and rude about something the decent thing to do would be to apologise wouldn't it?

Dillinger

Absolutely not Dillinger! We were right to question the authenticity of the post.
It is against forum policy to post as a GP and in doing so it seemed that SouthportGP was trying to give extra credence to his argument.
You will recall that I have asked twice now for the published results of the study - none have been forthcoming. As a GP. SouthportGP should know that anecdote is no evidence at all but at the moment that is all he is offering. At the moment all we know is that he is a GP. The results of the 'study' he relates to us is no surprise to us. If he/she really wants to make a difference he will publish the results in a medical journal, otherwise its just pointless.

A

Anonymous

stuffedolive said:
Dillinger said:

Dillinger

Absolutely not Dillinger! We were right to question the authenticity of the post.
It is against forum policy to post as a GP and in doing so it seemed that SouthportGP was trying to give extra credence to his argument.
You will recall that I have asked twice now for the published results of the study - none have been forthcoming. As a GP. SouthportGP should know that anecdote is no evidence at all but at the moment that is all he is offering. At the moment all we know is that he is a GP. The results of the 'study' he relates to us is no surprise to us. If he/she really wants to make a difference he will publish the results in a medical journal, otherwise its just pointless.

The fact that there are people who think that a GP is going to be scared off by the comments made and needs to be wrapped in cotton wool is BREATHTAKING at the very least.

According to his profile he visited the site at 7:12am today. Has anyone received any messages from him or responses to outstanding questions, including the glaringly missing stats on some of the people involved? Good luck to anyone who is happy to place their future on the results of such a shoddily presented and incomplete piece of information.

hornplayer

Hmmm, yeees, but we aren't his patients. It was really thoughtful of him to want to share his findings with the wider diabetic community and he did kinda get jumped on with both feet. Why should he come back for more?

- just sayin' !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sparkyrich

Lol, horn player, there are times when reading this forum that the terms "grimy ****" and " black" spring to mind when the phrase "troll" gets bandied about.

The OP doesn't need to justify him/her self to anyone on here, much less have to describe and quantify their research. Peer review is exactly that and spending time on an Internet forum doesn't qualify anybody to judge their results. There are NO doctors of forum waffling I'm afraid.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unbeliever said:
Sometimes a diabetics worst enemy is - other diabetics!
Very true lol

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I didn't comment on the thread until now but two things need to happen to confirm that SGP is who he says he is and has indeed carried out a short term trial into a low-carb/moderate fat diet in his medical practice.

First and foremost he needs to be more forthcoming and raise his head above the parapet, no Dr is going to be taken seriously if they want to remain anonymous and do not want to publish their finding for all to see, after all if any of us were to visit our gp or diabetes consultant with such flimsy evidence that SGP has provided in this thread then we'd be whistling in the wind I'm afraid, remaining anonymous isn't an option if he wants to change hearts and minds in the medical profession (as he suggested earlier in the thread..... or the diabetes community as a whole) then he needs to seen and heard to make a difference.

Second thing is how did the Admin of this forum verify his identity, did SPG provide a telephone number in which they rang and he confirmed he was a gp or were more thorough checks carried out.....as in they googled his name and found the medical practice that he works at and asked to speak with him personally or to confirm in writing that he joined the forum on Saturday night (and is the person in question who carried out this small scale research).

Until then I'm afraid I'll sit on the fence with this one, I would imagine if the roles were reversed and SGP came onto the forum to rubbish low-carb diets after a 7 week trial then the low-carbers here would want the same answers.......no one can doubt that!!!!

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a (relatively) low carber and would defend anyone's right tp follow any healthy eating plan that helps maintain good bg levels and general health. However, I do think that a certain amount of scepticism is necessary woth regard to any member claiming to be a doctor. Any opinion they give will carry the weight of their title and will have extra credence; Whether advocating low carb, high carb or living on a diet of fallen fruit, verification is vital.

A

Anonymous

Famous for 15 minutes at last!!

Some recent comments from an external, undisclosed (my choice) source which should give you a good laugh .... sad, insecure, cowardly folk, especially 'Queen Eddie', with nothing better to do. They are so single-celled they blog as Anonymous then sign with their name.

"Anonymous said...
Despite all the carbs he apparently suffers from hypo's.

Re: What do you eat to get out of hypos and to stay level
by gezzathorpe » Yesterday, 7:33 pm

An apple for me."

"Eddie you appear to have annoyed Gezzathorpe. I agree 250 plus carbs for diet only diabetic is very unusual to say the least."...Anonymous

"Check out the signature of Gezzathorpe “type 2, diet controlled, 250g+ carbs/day, 3m walking/day” If this person is running non diabetic BG numbers and HbA1c they are one in a million, and I’m spending a long weekend with Halle Berry." ... "Queen" Eddie

"Anonymous said... AAaarrgghh! 250g+ a day! H-E-L-P Gina" ... I presume that Anonymous and Gina are not the same person!! deeerrrrh!

"Maybe Gezzathorpe needs a new meter. You can use a baked potato or a bagel for a glucose test. Both have about 30g of fast-acting carb, and if you're diabetic, either one will send your BG over 200 an hour after you eat it. If you can pass eight glucose tests a day without medication, you're not T1, T2 or any other type of diabetic." ... Lori Miller

Well, now you have it ... the truth is out. I forgot to put batteries in my meter, I can't count or measure, and I agree that I am ONE IN A MILLION (why is 'she' shaking her head?!). I'll take all these comment on board ... in fact I may even eat it for dinner.

Any apparent link between Southport GPs last visit to the site yesterday am and this afternoon and these comments are purely coincidental.

Unbeliever

I totally agree with you Thundercat. My first thught was that the "GP" was flouting ignoring or unaware of the rules and expeced it to be picked up by the Moderators.

In the past several people have claimed o be HCPs . Someimes they are but hey are not always here to help. I otally understand scepticism and he reason for the rules.

I just do not see he need for abuse. If his person is indeed a GP with an open mind he/she would be an asset to the forum.

A request for the person's credenials o be checked would have been sufficient.

hornplayer

I'm hearing a lot of "Ba, Humbug" and "I don't BELIEVE it".

I may be in a glass-is-half-full mood today, but maybe SGP was just excited about his/her findings and eager to offer info that may help. We are all big kids. We can decide for ourselves whether or not to follow advice we are given. - You only have to read a few threads to see that a lot of the people on this forum are extremely widely read and probably more clued up on diabetes than a lot of HCP are. If we shoot down every person with an idea, why would anyone offer help again? If you agree, or are interested in something someone has said, then, great. If not, isn't it more polite to thank them for their input, then move on? - Or maybe give them the benefit of the doubt and stay silent?

Status
Not open for further replies.