GP uses low carb diet with 13 patients -amazed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Thanks for clarification. I'm around the top end of moderate then, a sort of 'migh' carber. 350g -> 250g per day is a 39% drop, but, apparently, I'm not low-carbing. I had better speak to my GP about my bGs and weight.

LittleWolf

Gezza, maybe you have reactive hypos? I know I used to. Tempura *****d me up one night..

I got to say I still find it odd how you tolerate what you eat XD One in a million x

Buckwheat and a salmon fillet -> 9.8 1 hr, 7.2 2 hours, which is pretty good for this non diabetic lol

Perhaps we could all learn from you? What's your exercise regime like?

Love you Gezza

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A

Anonymous

LittleWolf said:
Gezza, maybe you have reactive hypos? I know I used to. Tempura *****d me up one night..

I got to say I still find it odd how you tolerate what you eat XD One in a million x

Buckwheat and a salmon fillet -> 9.8 1 hr, 7.2 2 hours, which is pretty good for this non diabetic lol

Love you Gezza

Hi, just hypoing right now after dog walk .... 3.6 ... oops ... munching a pear and goats cheese! Off to a B-B-Q soon will will get back later. Don't think it's reactive hypos. I tend to have my bulk of carbs during the evening and probably not enough during the day. Exercise is 4 x 1 mile dog walking per day. Anyway, still a bit shaky and have to jump into shower.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Actually I can't be bothered to play this game...Just ban me as Low carb is not wanted here obviously

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I survived the Bradford World Curry Festival yesterday - white rice and nan bread and the Halifax Food Festival today, wild boar burger on a white bun. Wasn't so much portion control as the ridiculous prices they charge for these things. Couldn't afford to have much of anything.

Back to the boring old stuff tonight with freshly wild caught cod in a tomato and butter sauce.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi all

I wanted to inform you that I pm'd Southport GP yesterday asking him if he would be gracious enough to respond to the questions asked on here by members. I did say that although there were a couple of negative posts, his findings could be very beneficial to the forum and many members were interested in the use of a low carb diet. But, I have yet to receive any response from him.

Best wishes RRB

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I live in Southport and would love to know of a GP who recognises what I have been doing successfully for years. I have got my BS down to normal levels and the only time I realise that I really am still diabetic is when I get a bad cold or flu when my blood sugar goes up and nothing will bring it down until the illness goes away!! My doctor's practice still issues me with testing strips after 6 or 7 years on a repeat prescription which is how I keep tabs on what is going on with my body. I haven't had an HB1AC for about 3 or 4 years and am not going near the doctors in case my testing strips are stopped!!!

I do low carb/low GI and 5-9 aerobic/spin classes a week and don't bother about fats. Last time I had my cholesterol done it was 4. something. Can't say I have ever lost weight - now a size 12 but reckon my weight is muscle from the spin classes I do!!

A

Anonymous

gezzathorpe said:
LittleWolf said:

Love you Gezza

Hi, just hypoing right now after dog walk .... 3.6 ... oops ... munching a pear and goats cheese! Off to a B-B-Q soon will will get back later. Don't think it's reactive hypos. I tend to have my bulk of carbs during the evening and probably not enough during the day. Exercise is 4 x 1 mile dog walking per day. Anyway, still a bit shaky and have to jump into shower.

Sorry about yesterday. I often get a hypo around the 4th dog walk. To finish answering, dog walking is my only exercise, but it does amount to about 30 miles per week. I have got so used to hypos and fixing them with an apple or something that I have got a bit complacent. I get frequent hypos during afternoon dog walk I think because I eat most of the 250g carbs in the evening and need some of them earlier in the day. How much energy do I need in the evening simply to lift the remote control now and again or to click my fingers when I need 'her' to fetch for me? :twisted: :twisted: So I am going to try saving half of my evening meal for lunch the next day to see what happens.

By the way, I did this Thursday-Friday. I cooked & ate a full portion of pork madras with rice & pappadom which rendered 7.3. With what was left over I had 1/2 that amount Friday lunchtime which gave 6.7. So I will continue to try this.

julie54

Ricky said:
I live in Southport and would love to know of a GP who recognises what I have been doing successfully for years. I have got my BS down to normal levels and the only time I realise that I really am still diabetic is when I get a bad cold or flu when my blood sugar goes up and nothing will bring it down until the illness goes away!! My doctor's practice still issues me with testing strips after 6 or 7 years on a repeat prescription which is how I keep tabs on what is going on with my body. I haven't had an HB1AC for about 3 or 4 years and am not going near the doctors in case my testing strips are stopped!!!

I am newly diagnosed Type 2, following a routine health check at the doctors, when my blood sugar showed at 19.4! Had had no indications /symptoms and this came as a complete shock! There was no discussion about diet/exercise and was given a prescription for metmorfin and glimepiride and an appointment with the Diabetic nurse for one months time. Left the surgery in tears, with the prospect of over a month in 'no mans land' without advice or support. Got my act together and started researching around and of course one of the first things I found were these forums from which I gained information and started my knowledge gathering! Began to feel angry about the blase way in which I felt I had been treated and so insisted on an appointment with a G.P. which I got the following week. Saw G.P. - told her that I didn't want to take medication (I hadn't started them) until I had tried with diet first (actually to quote the words on both medication, they both state that 'these have been prescribed because diet/exercise have failed!' Told the G.P. I wanted to try diet first, her response was that it was the policy of their practice to put EVERYBODY straight onto medication, even those who are pre-diabetic. Told G.P. I had been following the Newcastle Diet (found on this forum) for about a week and had borrowed a meter from a friend who has one (and whose GP practice have always readily given strips etc on prescription). I had been recording results and even though it had only been a week they were consistently between 5.4 and 9. She showed no interest whatsoever, and dismissed everything I said, insisting that I should take the medication and follow a 'healthy diet' - even though I had not been given any advice as to what a 'healthy diet' is! So I then asked if I could have a meter and she refused stating that the Trust will not allow them to be given (even though my friend is with a G.P practice in the same Trust!). She said that the meters themselves are not expensive, but the strips are very costly! So, even though I live on a very very limited income (I made the decision to leave work as a Social worker to care for my elderly parents who are 89 and 80 and frail and I don't want them to have to go into a care home!) of carers allowance/income support which gives me a total income of just £105 per week, and have bought my own testing kit. I need to do this because it is very important for me to keep track on my bg - as of course it is for every diagnosed diabetic!! I am going to see the Diabetic Nurse this week and am going to fight my corner and argue about the meters and if necessary will go through the route of complaining, both through the G.P. practice, P.A.L.S and the Trust - until I get some sort of resolution.

The reason for my rant and anger at this whole situation is that this attitude towards testing strips results in situations like Ricky - who are not going to see their G.P. in case the testing strips are stopped - which of course means that risks are increased - which is absolutely appalling! Personally, I see the testing as a vital and integral part in managing my diabetes and working towards reducing my BS through diet and exercise before I go down the meds route. Obviously if diet/exercise fails, then I would have no hesitation in going onto meds - but am not being given that opportunity!! I have always lived life with the philosophy of I would rather try and fail, than not to try and never know!! But Ricky - I am worried about you not going for checks because of the fear of testing strips being stopped - which could potentially put you at higher risk.

Incidentally, I have continued with the Newcastle Diet now for 3 weeks, have lost weight (particularly the fat around my trunk!) and my bloods remain at around 7, so even though it is early days, I am pleased with results so far. Of course, I am aware that this type of diet is not sustainable over a long period (I will do it for the 8 weeks as specified) but then I will probably go onto the low carb diet. It will be even more important then to be able to monitor my BS so I will fight them all the way!!!

In essence, I feel very strongly that this is a totally erroneous and dangerous stance being made by the NHS/Doctors as presumably a way to save money!! As far as my G.P. is concerned, my first question is whether this is a guidance from the Trust or a Directive. I am thinking it is guidance, as I know that other G.P's in the same Trust are still prescribing strips. Guidance therefore is simply that - and is interpreted differently by each GP practice. But all diabetics need to rise up and challenge if this ridiculous and potentially dangerous stance on prescribing strips is to stop!!

A

Anonymous

gezzathorpe said:
gezzathorpe said:
LittleWolf said:
Gezza, maybe you have reactive hypos? I know I used to.

caolXao1mmn_XunCifVPO3BLP0OtFHKval3sn6yry5s=w500-h190-p-no

From TLCD (The Losers' Club for Drink-dependence) ...

"Gezzathorpe and his amazing diabetic diet !
After posting the “diabetes.co.uk is Gezzathorpe the new ... ....... ?” thread, I was hoping Gezza would read it, I thought he would, because I know he is a regular reader here. It was beyond my wildest dreams that he would post the entire thread over at diabetes.co.uk. The only changes he made as far as I can see, is the removal of ... ....... name, perhaps he was trying to protect his Dad. Anyway he has made some noise and amended his first post, strangely it does not state an edit has taken place, but screen shots do not lie.

According to Gezza he gets hypos because he consumes all his carbs in the evening, well that’s what he said the first time. He then amended his post to the second screen shot you see. I said earlier this guy is one in a million. The reason is on no meds he can consume 250 carbs in one hit (as per his first post) and then quote “No wonder my bGs shot up to 5.7.” 250 carbs around 1000 calories add in some fats and proteins and that sounds like one hell of a gut bash to me ! And still we have not had a straight answer.

So my hearties, how many type two diabetics on nil diabetic meds, do you know who can consume 250 carbs and hold non diabetic numbers. How many non meds type two’s do you know who can consume that sort of carb intake and would be stating “No wonder my bGs shot up to 5.7.” Come on Gezza you’ll have do better than that mate. I am aware of around six health conditions that can bring about hypos for a type two diabetics on nil meds, including cirrhosis of the liver, as far as I can determine, being an idiot is not one of them.

One last quote from Gezza “As you are unable to work out why I get hypos, maybe it's due to my eating habits?” As hypos should always be avoided where possible and can lead to extremely serious and life threatening situations, I would change my “eating habits” Gezza. Just a thought !

Over to you Gezza.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
julie54 said:
Began to feel angry about the blase way in which I felt I had been treated and so insisted on an appointment with a G.P. which I got the following week. Saw G.P. - told her that I didn't want to take medication (I hadn't started them) until I had tried with diet first (actually to quote the words on both medication, they both state that 'these have been prescribed because diet/exercise have failed!'

A depressingly familiar tale I'm afraid. Even people like Roy Taylor, Professor of Medicine and Metabolism at Newcsatle University who undertook the Counterpoint Study refers to it:

"It must be recorded that many individuals expressed frustration at the routine manner in which their doctor, nurse or dietitian regarded the diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. This conflicted with the cataclysmic blow which they personally felt. They were told that the diagnosis was clear and therefore the guidelines will be rolled out. Lose some weight and take this metformin. Get used to it."

You have one major advantage that many patients don't, you know that your GP doesn't know much about diabetes. You know not to trust anything and everything you are told. The Magnetic Resonance Centre at Newcastle followed their 2011 study up in April of 2013 and reported self monitoring of people like yourelf. Their conclusion was:

CONCLUSION:
These data demonstrate that intentional weight loss achieved at home by health-motivated individuals can reverse Type 2 diabetes. Diabetes reversal should be a goal in the management of Type 2 diabetes.

Even people who don't actually reverse it know from experience that they achieve much better control and lower HBA1c results. You'll feel better and feel more positive. Many GPs seem to still adopt the 'take two asprin and go to bed approach' as if they think that is what good healthcare is all about.

A

Anonymous

bGs versus diet.

LittleWolf said:

Hi Little Wolf .. changed the title so as got to get confused with Southport GP's blog for low-carbers. Had breakfast 1.5 hours ago (as per chart), walked the dog (1 mile), felt a hypo and 3.4 ..... oops again. Just eaten a wholewheat bread sarnie with loads of homemade mayo, lettuce, tomato and liver pate. Next report in 2 hours.

wJ_Tg-cQOCdKgIUQD8OJMozBMlB10OcReNT5BuY8zeo=w580-h400-p-no

LittleWolf

Thanks Gezza. That's a nifty little application too. I can't be giving up my curry and rice, have that later in the day anyway. Is the idea not to tax the pancreas whilst you are most insulin resistant? In the morning? Xx Skipped breakfast again (sorry) now wondering what to eat...

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been interested to hear from folk who have been using the low carb approach for longer than two years as the medical world while accepting the short term weight loss and other benefits worries about possible long term effects - though for my self I strongly suspect it's just as good on the long term as it is on the short term .

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Greetings Doc!.....I've been on LCHF(around 40gs a day) for 15 months or so now and my experience has been positive,albeit anecdotal....I have reduced my HbA1c from 14.1% to 5.1%,reduced my BMI from 27.5 to 22,My total cholesterol is reduced,my trigs are down,my LDL down and my HDL up,I no longer need BP medication and I feel great so long term who knows BUT right now I'm sticking to what is working for me...Flora margarine and skimmed milk? No thankyou!

Paul

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been low-carbing e.g. less than 150gm/day for about 7 years now and as expected no ill effects. Although I finally had to add insulin (I'm not overweight or insulin resistant), I still keep my carbs sensibly low e.g. less than 200gm/day because I know it's good for my sugars and health and avoids needing too much insulin. My wife, not a diabetic, but being overweight and cooking for me has also recently adopted a very strict low-carb diet for a week or so at a time and lost a couple of stones which seem to be keeping off so she also has now benefitted from the weight loss low-carbing can produce, even having a normal amount of fat which adds value to the statement that eating fat doesn't necessarily make you fat (it can be those carbs).

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Daibell said:
I've been low-carbing e.g. less than 150gm/day for about 7 years now and as expected no ill effects. Although I finally had to add insulin (I'm not overweight or insulin resistant), I still keep my carbs sensibly low e.g. less than 200gm/day because I know it's good for my sugars and health and avoids needing too much insulin. My wife, not a diabetic, but being overweight and cooking for me has also recently adopted a very strict low-carb diet for a week or so at a time and lost a couple of stones which seem to be keeping off so she also has now benefitted from the weight loss low-carbing can produce, even having a normal amount of fat which adds value to the statement that eating fat doesn't necessarily make you fat (it can be those carbs).

Great post! :thumbup:

Paul

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Julie54 - Please don't worry about me!! Firstly because I test I know exactly what my blood sugar is up to so I am quite safe!! Unless I am ill my fasting blood sugars are <5.5 although at the moment can't get them down from 6 since I had raging toothache last weekend and a root canal treatment last Monday but 6 is not terrible :) I can deal with most illnesses myself as I am a homeopath:). The testing strips were brilliant 6 years ago when I first started this because I found out what my body liked and didn't like. e.g. I can take a few udon noodles but not rice. I can't take the sweetener malitol which is in some diabetic sweets (no sugar halva!). The best advice I was ever given was to eat fruit WITH my meal not on its own as it will spike my numbers. I can get away with having a spoonful of my husband's dessert when we are out provided it is with a meal. Fat means that the carbs go through your body at a slower rate so peanut butter on an oat cakes/crackers are good. I actually make my own oatcakes now- dead quick and easy and cheap. If I fancy pizza I make in on a slice of grilled aubergine cut lengthways as the base. I do not go hungry and do noty lose weight but have never been obese anyway. My dad and his dad before him had diabetes and they were both skinny! You learn that mashed potato is a no no but you can have a couple of just cooked boiled new potatoes in their jackets . Cooking veg until soft increases the GI rate - better to eat raw or just cooked. No parsnips allowed but sweet potato is fine. I could go on and on.......... but hope I have given you ideas. Meat, fish, eggs, cheese with veg is the way to go. No rice, pasta potatoes, bread except Burgen bread as the carb value is low. Check the carb value in all packaging. I don't count carbs - am just sensible. Most of my carbs are from fruit which I love. Berries are best - any of them
OK will leave it there - hope I have given you some ideas.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Southport GP said:
I have been interested to hear from folk who have been using the low carb approach for longer than two years as the medical world while accepting the short term weight loss and other benefits worries about possible long term effects - though for my self I strongly suspect it's just as good on the long term as it is on the short term .
I have been doing it for about 6 years and it has worked for me. It is as if I have reversed my diabetes except as I said my numbers go up if I have a cold or flu I am in Southport so please PM me if you want to get in touch.

julie54

Ricky - thank you for your tips etc. Funny enough I was just looking at the Burgen bread (started off looking for flax/linseed bread recipes and stumbled across the Burgen bread!!) I am quite happy with the basics of the low carb way of eating - but I know that just occasionally the desire for a piece of bread will overcome me! So a loaf in the freezer will be a way to just have the occasional slice without having to chuck out half a loaf!! (there's only me in the house so nobody to share it with!!) When I launch myself into low carb (after I finish the Newcastle diet!) I can see that shopping is going to take a considerable amount of time, must remember to take my reading glasses with me!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.