T1D Sarah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!
I'm new here so I thought I'd introduce myself...
My name is Sarah, I'm 21, from England and I'm a Type 1 Diabetic :)
I was diagnosed 6 months after the birth of my daughter but I believe I was diabetic straight after the birth!

As you can imagine looking after a newborn and being undiagnosed was not easy.
After months of blood tests with no diagnosis I took myself to hospital barely able to walk or talk.
I went in with DKA!!
I spent 5 nights in hospital away from my daughter but I was thankful that I finally knew what was wrong.

I was blissfully unaware of the impact type 1 would have on my life.
I remember my nurse at the hospital giving me a really sympathetic look as I laid in bed smiling and nodding like it was no big deal. I now understand why she looked at me that way.

Being a diabetic has made me feel very alone and I have been trying to reach out to others.
I didn't know there was such an amazing community online and I decided to join in.
I started a YouTube channel in hope to raise awareness. T1D Sarah is my channel name if you are interested :cat:

I currently do 4-5 injections a day and have started using the freestyle Libre.

I hope to make many diabetic friend!
Please feel free to introduce yourself too!

Remember - the only thing we cannot change is the diagnosis!

Love
Sarah x

Reactions: 17 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @T1D Sarah to the forum.

I was diagnosed at 22 weeks with my daughter, it then went and came back a few years later as type 1, I too found it a lonely existence as I couldn't really talk to my friends about it, my partner is very understanding but i'm sure I test his patience too at times ! I started off on MDI and have now got a pump, it's always work in progress but having a positive attitude helps hugely ;)

Reactions: 7 people

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sarah!

I live in Australia, I was diagnosed at 22, almost 6 years ago. I've also found it very isolating. And it hasn't treated me well.

If you'd like to chat feel free to PM me :)

Reactions: 2 people

T1D Sarah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and welcome @T1D Sarah to the forum.

I was diagnosed at 22 weeks with my daughter, it then went and came back a few years later as type 1, I too found it a lonely existence as I couldn't really talk to my friends about it, my partner is very understanding but i'm sure I test his patience too at times ! I started off on MDI and have now got a pump, it's always work in progress but having a positive attitude helps hugely ;)

I wish I could get a pump! I'm really struggling being a new mum and an equally as new type 1
I find it really frustrating trying to explain something that others don't understand and if I talk about diabetes too much I feel bad but they don't seem to understand it's a 24/7 condition that I have to live with so of course I have a lot to say about it

Nice to meet you!

T1D Sarah

Reactions: 4 people

T1D Sarah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sarah!

I live in Australia, I was diagnosed at 22, almost 6 years ago. I've also found it very isolating. And it hasn't treated me well.

If you'd like to chat feel free to PM me :)

6 years?! Wow!
I can't get my head around it being forever....
I'm finding it hard to accept

I'm sure I will pm you soon!

T1D Sarah

Reactions: 4 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sarah! Glad you are finding the forum helpful :)

I've been diabetic since I was 3years old, am 30 now, never found it much of a problem in life - I did rebel a bit in my teenage years as a lot tend to do but I'm currently the best controlled I've ever been, mainly put that down to getting a pump just over 2 years ago. Have you asked your DSN about getting a pump? Just because you haven't been diabetic all that long doesn't mean you won't be able to get one, worth an ask if you haven't already :)

I'm sorry that being diagnosed made you feel so alone, I understand what you mean though, I find this forum a godsend when you really need advise or need to vent about something, everyone understands how you feel :)

Abbie X

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

sarsar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi sarah your story is nearly the same as mine. I was in hospital from 17 weeks pregnant and was only allowed out at weekends and when I did I had to carry around the hospital strynge driver with me.

My daughter was born 8 weeks early and the diabetes I was told would go when I had given birth, but no I got told I was a unusual case as T1 doesn't or should I say shouldn't stay with you after birth T2 usually goes although you can still take insulin with T2.

I have been diabetic for 19 years now and hate it I've had loads of complications and I'm diabetic anorexia which means I stop my insulin to loose weight. After this last session in hospital I'm taking my insulin as I was told and given six months to live if I didn't take my insulin.

The thing is I've had no one that understands what I'm going through the fact my father used to tell me that I needed to loose weight this started as early as age seven, my mum try's and is fantastic as is my daughter and my partner. I'm hoping to find support and may be I can help other people which would give me a purpose as I'm unable to work I get brain dead.

I will look you up on you tube at your awareness for this disease.

Take care xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @T1D Sarah :)

I have a baby too, and, yes, looking after babies and young children and the diabetes is really hard work. I dnot think anyone can understand that unless they've experienced it. My tips are to test your blood sugar lots and lots, and put hypo treatments in every room. I also keep a glucose meter upstairs and another downstairs, just to make things a little easier.

When I was diagnosed, I felt very alone too, and angry as well as upset. It took me some months to get my head round the whole thing. I wish this forum had been around then!

I have a pump and I do find it helps enormously. It's definitely worth asking about. You could also look round the Insulin Pump section here.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
6 years?! Wow!
I can't get my head around it being forever....
I'm finding it hard to accept

Sarah, life sometimes throws us experiences that we would never have thought of in our wildest dreams. You got T1 diabetes at the age of 21, that's pretty unusual, you get to experience something most people don't. Life will throw you other things you would never have expected.

We can't really know what will happen. But probably, diabetes will make you a stronger, better mum. I know diabetes has made me wise beyond my years.

You need to develop a good relationship with your diabetes. Know when to take it easy, know that it's OK to back off for a little while when you need a break. And know that if things aren't working, there are always more options, they're just sometimes a bit hard to find.

All the best!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @T1D Sarah and welcome to the forum, there is a lot of good advice and support on here.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @T1D Sarah
welcome to the forum :)
this is an amazing group so if you have a query or worry don't hesitate to ask !!

CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, snobby behaviour
I'm up for chatting and making diabetic friends. 29 year old mum of a 1 year old boy. Diagnosed T1 honeymooning in April this year. Was diabetic through pregnancy. Not enjoying the lifestyle change x

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I've had it for 49 years, since I was 5. I had my son when I was 23. I have no complications (so far), which I am very grateful for. It's not a 'normal life' we lead, but your diabetes management can become background rather than foreground if you educate yourself a lot at this stage.
So rather than trying to talk to non-diabetics about it, spend that time reading about it, asking questions on here, observing your own patterns, and learning all the little tricks and tips that make it easier, and eventually you don't feel the need to talk to anyone about it!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app