Had enough. help?

chr1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I am 19 years old, I was diagnosed type 1 just over 2 years ago, I had good control etc at first but in the past almost year my control has been rubbish. I don't take any short acting insulin, long acting only. I know this is wrong and I am seeking help with the psychologist but isn't really helping. :( I tried a few weeks ago for a week going back onto insulin and doing sugars etc but I gained weight and this is the reason I stopped taking insulin in the first place. I am really lost and the thought of taking insulin again just makes me want to burst into tears.

I want to be healthy and happy again as high sugars make me miserable but I REALLY dont' want to gain weight and be unhappy.

Can anyone give any advice/a person to talk to?

Many thanks
Charlotte

EllieLou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Im going through exactly the same, im 17 and was diagnosed type 1 in January this year, at first I was really good, the doctors said I was the ideal diabetic but all that changed when I quickly gained 2 stone. I honestly was eating so healthily yet the weight was just piling on so I stopped all insulin. This obviously wasnt a good idea and I ended up in resus hooked up to all these machines because my sugar levels were crazy high and I had a high ketone reading aswell. Thankfully there was no long term damage but I was referred to a psychologist, I started taking insulin again but couldn't deal with the weight gain. So now I have made a deal with my doctor and am on a very low carb diet with minimal insulin and ive lost over 1 and a half stone in just under 2 months and my sugar levels are perfect at every test. I still have a lot of issues that I need to work through but Im feeling more hopeful about everything now. People keep telling me that it will get better and just become second nature and yeah it might but that dont help now lol but I guess im starting to get there, its not just going to happen over night though, so stick with it.

Private message me or text me (07712249924) you want to talk, I wont pass any judgements, it will be nice to talk to someone thats going through the same problems :)

Ellie x

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
As a T2 old fogey (grandad) myself, I really cant advise what to do. What I can do is tell you many T2's have equally hard to beat problems and unless a T2 is on insulin (most are not) getting good and tight control in the early years is very difficult indeed. Juggling diet, medication and excercise (if able to excercise that is) is only achieved after much diciplin and time. I was diagnosed 13yrs ago and for the first 5 getting my Hb1Ac to below 8.5 was impossible. Between 5 and 10yrs I managed 7.5 but for the last 3 it has been getting better and better with smooth 6.5
This was achived with greater self determination and a new drug for T2's

I can't tell you what to do and when to do it, but I do urge you to take a step back and think deeply about the potential damage poor control does to our bodies. Yes, others can help to some degree, but only you can take the action required to produce good control and I sincerely hope you find the will to get back on the rails and head off in the right direction again .. .. best of luck :D

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hia Charlotte, good advice from Ellie and I'd just thought I'd tell you that a low carb diet worked or me too. Was 12 1/2 stone and have maintained 9st 10 for the last 18 months on low carb (circa 100g a day so not low low). This, and plenty of walking, normally means less insulin and weight loss. Hope reading these posts will give you some hope and motivation. I'm sure you will get through this. All the best. :thumbup: Also, a lot of us go through low points with diabetes so you're not alone. Sharing and chatting with others on the forum helps me too.

BobCornelius

Hi Charlotte,

I kinda know where you are at, I was diagnosed late in life, and had gotten used to certain eating habits. All that had to change! Initially, I regained some weight, ( having lost 3stone pre diagnosis ), but low carb, carb counting and reasonable exercise is holding that back!

It can seem tough at times, but remember;- You have got diabetes, it hasn't got you! You da Boss!

:)

Bob

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Doctors who know less about diabetes and endocrinology than their patients.
Dear Charlotte,

Don't let your weight be the reason why you don't take insulin. Running hyper (high) will cause you more issues then you really want to have. Maybe not right today but in the long term the harm is quite serious both to your body and to your brain. You deserve a happy life and part of that involves getting to grips with your diabetes.

Having said that there is a way to keep it in check. I have had type 1 for 32yrs or so and have never had trouble keeping weight off (I actually would love to put it on!). What you need to do is set up some regular gym time, watch the carbs you eat and avoid stress as much as humanly possible (I know that's a tricky one).

What I have done with the diet might help so I'll share.

1. I avoid bread like the plague.
2. I don't eat rice, requires stupid amounts of insulin
3. I only have potatoes and/or pasta at lunchtime so that my biggest carb intake happens early in the day when I will be active for the rest of the afternoon and burn it out.
4. I don't drink alcohol, its effects on brain and body are just not worth it in my opinion. If you do keep it to a min and avoid beer at all costs (it's estrogenic and will make you put on fat faster than you can imagine).
5. Avoid cereals in the morning, they are mainly just sugar loaded flakes (at best). A good portion of eggs, bacon and/or sausages works just fine gives you the protein and fats your body needs to get going.

The idea is to have fats/carbs early in the day when I'll be using them and having a protein (and relatively carb free) meal in the evening. You could try something similar but adapted to your own needs and see how that helps.

The next thing to do is exercise; gym is the key don't only do CV exercise you need to do some weight training (not as much as us chaps do though) but a little regularly. Combine the two, it will help the muscles consume the glucose out of the blood without needing extra insulin to do so. Research has shown that the two combined have the best effect on our HbA1c results.

The whole point of that is to keep your insulin at a manageable level as low as possible for you to feel good and have good readings. Don't avoid it because of weight issue please don't, the complications are not worth it especially not when you can get in good shape even when you are on insulin! (just think of bodybuilders who abuse the stuff to get fit! if it's good for them then it's good for us too :)

I hope that helps, if you need to feel free to ask for more info. But please PLEASE don't skip your insulins...
Best wishes!
Frankie

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I put weight on when After I was first diagnosed. However gp did point out I had lost helluva weight pre diagnosis!!! So my weight would level out... At a normal.. Which it did and I have maintained a 10-12 ever since.. Nigh on 30 years.

First question I would ask ..you worry about putting weight on... But what weight and size were you when diagnosed and what size and weight are you now?

It takes time for both mental and physical body to readjust after diagnosis. Don't despair.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

Sorry to hear you are struggling.

I've read stories like yours before and seen a tv program about one girl too. The girls omitted insulin and lost weight but unfortunately the end results were devastating - one was registered blind, the other had poor sight and a variety of other problems.

Please try to seek help for this now before it is too late. See your GP or DN and tell them how you feel and what you are doing. Hopefully they will be able to help.

The advice above could be helpful too - to low carb - tell whoever you ask for help that you'd like to try this to reduce your weight and hopefully they'll support you.

There is also a website called Diabetics with Eating Disorders (DWED) which may provide some kind of information to help you.

Good luck!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Some very good advice here, sadly the reality is as simple as losing your sight, limbs, becoming dependent on others and a lifetime of hospital visits - the reality is very scary.

You need to get control of your sugars by taking insulin - that's the number one priority.

To become less insulin dependent you need to follow a very low carb diet, omitting bread/rice/cereals/alcohol/fruit etc - the more insulin you take the more variables there are to manage, taking high doses of insulin can be unpredictable and you are more likely to run low or high, with more exercise and low carbs you will be able to manage your weight better/feel fantastic/take less insulin = less likely to get complications.

My strongest advice is to read Dr Bernsteins book - he is a type 1 diabetic and gives excellent advice on leading a normal life with better glucose control, I eat low carb (have the odd treat mind !) but feel so much better when I apply his rules, if I tried to just do dose adjustment for normal eating I cannot keep good control as type 1 diabetics we cannot eat normally (huge misconception).

Please take care of yourself - once you get this under better control, mentally you will feel stronger try not to worry about weight (it comes and goes - that's life) put your health first and take your insulin and we are all with you, dont feel alone :thumbup: