Half marathon training

rookayj

Hi,

I’m currently training for a half marathon, but have started struggling with managing my blood sugar whilst out running.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what they’ve used whilst running? So far I’ve tried glucose tablets (difficult to chew whilst running and trying to breath), gluco gel (didn’t work as fast as I had hoped) and carrying a bottle of Lucozade, which is my favourite option for now but won’t last a whole half marathon and I don’t think I can manage carrying two bottles.

Thanks

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Before I migrated to a pump, I always drank weak fruit squash when exercising. I drank this in the same way as I would drink water and it kept me going all the time. My focus was to maintain my levels rather than treating them when they went low.
Instead of putting it in a bottle, you could use something like a camelback if you want to carry around more. The water/squash sloshes around but the pack can be pulled tight so this is no more than an annoying sound. Or, if the organisers are providing water along the route, you could carry one of those small Robinsons' Squash'D thingies in your pocket that you can squirt into the water you pick up.

Good luck with your training and race.

Reactions: rookayj

rookayj

Before I migrated to a pump, I always drank weak fruit squash when exercising. I drank this in the same way as I would drink water and it kept me going all the time. My focus was to maintain my levels rather than treating them when they went low.
Instead of putting it in a bottle, you could use something like a camelback if you want to carry around more. The water/squash sloshes around but the pack can be pulled tight so this is no more than an annoying sound. Or, if the organisers are providing water along the route, you could carry one of those small Robinsons' Squash'D thingies in your pocket that you can squirt into the water you pick up.

Thanks for that, I was thinking about trying a camelback but thought the noise might make me want to go to the toilet! I have managed one long run where I seemed to do a good job of maintaining a good level, but have had hypos on every one since

Reactions: In Response

Jayderb

I would suggest a combination of both fast release and slow release carbs. Have both flapjacks and lucozade on the go. You can adjust your time expectations by a minute, to stop and intake the flapjack. This will slow release, whilst you maintain the rest of the run with fast release lucozade

Reactions: rookayj

rookayj

I would suggest a combination of both fast release and slow release carbs. Have both flapjacks and lucozade on the go. You can adjust your time expectations by a minute, to stop and intake the flapjack. This will slow release, whilst you maintain the rest of the run with fast release lucozade

Sounds good to me, thanks

marty313

I personally fill a squishy bottle such as the Osprey Hydraulics 500ml SoftFlask with High5 sportsdrikk and hold it in my hand while running 5 km. 2 such bottles and 2 hands for 10 km. No sloshing. Can be stashed away when empty.

marty313

Hi,

I’m currently training for a half marathon, but have started struggling with managing my blood sugar whilst out running.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what they’ve used whilst running? So far I’ve tried glucose tablets (difficult to chew whilst running and trying to breath), gluco gel (didn’t work as fast as I had hoped) and carrying a bottle of Lucozade, which is my favourite option for now but won’t last a whole half marathon and I don’t think I can manage carrying two bottles.

Thanks
Another important detail: Since July I managed to connect my Abbot Libre 3 CGM to my Garmin Forerunner 955 so that I get my blood glucose on my watch. I can then fine tune my blood glucose by drinking High 5 sports drink. Last time I did this on my Triathlon Sprint on Sunday. My watch had missed the connection to xDrip on the bike ride, and my glucose was lower at the start of the run. But I kept it up by drinking 500 ml on the first half of the 5 km run.
Screenshot_20230912-181611.jpg
Screenshot_20230910-190228.jpg

Reactions: Westley

marty313

I personally fill a squishy bottle such as the Osprey Hydraulics 500ml SoftFlask with High5 sportsdrikk and hold it in my hand while running 5 km. 2 such bottles and 2 hands for 10 km. No sloshing. Can be stashed away when empty.
Today I ran my first half marathon during my training. My plan was to run 10 k but then my form was good after 2 recovery weeks after my last triathlon for the season, so I made it a half marathon. Since I was in the US (Maryland) I had no mobile data, so no glucose on my Garmin Forerunner 955. Thanks Abbot for having such excellent Android software for my Libre 3 CGM! It turned out that my glucose was extremely high during the entire run - I only drank 500 ml water during the entire run.
Screenshot_20231001-172504.jpg

Last edited:

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since I was in the US (Maryland) I had no mobile data, so no glucose on my Garmin Forerunner 955. Thanks Abbot for having such excellent Android software for my Libre 3 CGM. It turned out that my glucose was extremely high during the entire run - I only drank 500 ml water during the entire run.
First of all well done :)

Why didn't you get CGM data, the connection should be between the watch and the phone, so that ought to log into the fit file, or am I missing something?

Interesting your comment about water, I've found I don't drink nearly as much as one is told one must drink per hour for long rides (unless it's particularly hot). Perhaps I should drink more, who knows! :)

marty313

First of all well done :)

Why didn't you get CGM data, the connection should be between the watch and the phone, so that ought to log into the fit file, or am I missing something?

Interesting your comment about water, I've found I don't drink nearly as much as one is told one must drink per hour for long rides (unless it's particularly hot). Perhaps I should drink more, who knows! :)
The Abbot Libre 3 software is so stupid that is does not connect to xDrip on my phone. I need an Abbot LibreLinkup app login on the internet so that xDrip can pull out the data. I did not have a mobile data plan in the US, so no CGM data on my watch.

Reactions: SimonP78

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, I see, and sorry for the long pause before responding, busy at work and I've not had a chance to check in on the forum.